Mailing List Archive

Feedback mythfrontend
Peter I think you have done a stiring job of implimenting mythweb in webfrontend.
I offer a few thoughts that are neither requests nor criticsm, they may be things of interest.

I find the scope of the listings a tiny bit short. I think 2.5 hours would be nicer than 2 hours

[next] ships 2 hours, not 2 1/2

ie imagine

0600 .. 0830
[next]
0800 .. 1030
[next]
1000.. 1230

I quickly browse choosing categories of interest by colour eg movies in white. What I see is a sea of colourless guide items.

I record Aprogram

[diversion]
It must be my hardware but having virtual tuners results in 1 or 2 a week damaged recordings.
Setting no-virtual tuners and I have never had a damaged recording

The scheduler sets Aprogram to record on tuner one
and AprogramHD to record on tuner two

[mythweb] going to upcoming I can mark Aprogram as “Don’t Record” on webfrontend I see only “Cancel Recording” which is not what I want of course.

The archives will show that when webfrontend first appeared I made comment about garish and mobile phone set. So I get my just deserts!

Were I doing UI design I would flavour the categories of programguide by colour so as to not trouble those who do not want but be of use to those who do.
A point to consider is 1 in 7 males are colour blind (there are many sorts of colour blindness the most common being red-green) and there are web standards about colour choices.

Finally (I’ve not looked a webfrontend code at all) can one use CSS ?

Cheers
James
Re: Feedback mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
One further thought

> On Nov 28, 2023, at 08:03, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>
> Peter I think you have done a stiring job of implimenting mythweb in webfrontend.
> I offer a few thoughts that are neither requests nor criticsm, they may be things of interest.
>
> I find the scope of the listings a tiny bit short. I think 2.5 hours would be nicer than 2 hours
>
> [next] ships 2 hours, not 2 1/2
>
> ie imagine
>
> 0600 .. 0830
> [next]
> 0800 .. 1030
> [next]
> 1000.. 1230
>
> I quickly browse choosing categories of interest by colour eg movies in white. What I see is a sea of colourless guide items.
>
> I record Aprogram
>
> [diversion]
> It must be my hardware but having virtual tuners results in 1 or 2 a week damaged recordings.
> Setting no-virtual tuners and I have never had a damaged recording
>
> The scheduler sets Aprogram to record on tuner one
> and AprogramHD to record on tuner two
>
> [mythweb] going to upcoming I can mark Aprogram as “Don’t Record” on webfrontend I see only “Cancel Recording” which is not what I want of course.
>
> The archives will show that when webfrontend first appeared I made comment about garish and mobile phone set. So I get my just deserts!
>
> Were I doing UI design I would flavour the categories of programguide by colour so as to not trouble those who do not want but be of use to those who do.
> A point to consider is 1 in 7 males are colour blind (there are many sorts of colour blindness the most common being red-green) and there are web standards about colour choices.
>
> Finally (I’ve not looked a webfrontend code at all) can one use CSS ?

At 8am today I look at what is showing tomorrow night

Select Date
mythweb: Select Time, webfrontend [next][next]….

Re: Feedback mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
On 28/11/2023 00:03, James Linder wrote:

> Peter I think you have done a stiring job of implimenting mythweb in webfrontend.
> I offer a few thoughts that are neither requests nor criticsm, they may be things of interest.
>
> I find the scope of the listings a tiny bit short. I think 2.5 hours would be nicer than 2 hours
>
> [next] ships 2 hours, not 2 1/2
>
> ie imagine
>
> 0600 .. 0830
> [next]
> 0800 .. 1030
> [next]
> 1000.. 1230
>
> I quickly browse choosing categories of interest by colour eg movies in white. What I see is a sea of colourless guide items.
>
> I record Aprogram
>
> [diversion]
> It must be my hardware but having virtual tuners results in 1 or 2 a week damaged recordings.
> Setting no-virtual tuners and I have never had a damaged recording
>
> The scheduler sets Aprogram to record on tuner one
> and AprogramHD to record on tuner two
>
> [mythweb] going to upcoming I can mark Aprogram as “Don’t Record” on webfrontend I see only “Cancel Recording” which is not what I want of course.
>
> The archives will show that when webfrontend first appeared I made comment about garish and mobile phone set. So I get my just deserts!
>
> Were I doing UI design I would flavour the categories of programguide by colour so as to not trouble those who do not want but be of use to those who do.
> A point to consider is 1 in 7 males are colour blind (there are many sorts of colour blindness the most common being red-green) and there are web standards about colour choices.
>
> Finally (I’ve not looked a webfrontend code at all) can one use CSS ?
>
> Cheers
> James

Have you tried switching themes? There's a button to switch the theme
top right hand side.

All the themes provided are all the free themes I could find. I know
there are better paid for themes but obviously we can't supply them in a
open source app like ours. The themes we supply for the WebApp are all
css based so if you don't like something you can always change it. You
will typically find them in /usr/share/mythtv/html/assets/themes
directory. The themes.xml file contains the list of available themes so
I would just add the theme there and copy one of the css files and start
from there.

Regarding the EPG not sure if Peter modified or replaced it but I think
it's only fair to point out Stuart A did most of the work creating the
original EPG screen.

Paul H.

Re: Feedback mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
On 11/27/23 19:03, James Linder wrote:
> Peter I think you have done a stiring job of implimenting mythweb in webfrontend.
> I offer a few thoughts that are neither requests nor criticsm, they may be things of interest.
>
> I find the scope of the listings a tiny bit short. I think 2.5 hours would be nicer than 2 hours
>
> [next] ships 2 hours, not 2 1/2
>
> ie imagine
>
> 0600 .. 0830
> [next]
> 0800 .. 1030
> [next]
> 1000.. 1230
>
> I quickly browse choosing categories of interest by colour eg movies in white. What I see is a sea of colourless guide items.
Please add an issue to MythTV for an enhancement to change the guide. I
think I could fit more if the entire episode descriptions were not
displayed, but were available as a tooltip, like in the recorded listing.

> I record Aprogram
>
> [diversion]
> It must be my hardware but having virtual tuners results in 1 or 2 a week damaged recordings.
> Setting no-virtual tuners and I have never had a damaged recording
Not a web app problem
> The scheduler sets Aprogram to record on tuner one
> and AprogramHD to record on tuner two
Not a web app problem.

> [mythweb] going to upcoming I can mark Aprogram as “Don’t Record” on webfrontend I see only “Cancel Recording” which is not what I want of course.
In the we app upcoming tab, click the "override" button (paperclip) next
to the recording you want to override. All the options should be there.

> The archives will show that when webfrontend first appeared I made comment about garish and mobile phone set. So I get my just deserts!
>
> Were I doing UI design I would flavour the categories of programguide by colour so as to not trouble those who do not want but be of use to those who do.
> A point to consider is 1 in 7 males are colour blind (there are many sorts of colour blindness the most common being red-green) and there are web standards about colour choices.
>
> Finally (I’ve not looked a webfrontend code at all) can one use CSS ?
Yes

Re: Feedback mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 28, 2023, at 1:24?PM, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 11/27/23 19:03, James Linder wrote:
>> Peter I think you have done a stiring job of implimenting mythweb in webfrontend.
>> I offer a few thoughts that are neither requests nor criticsm, they may be things of interest.
>>
>> I find the scope of the listings a tiny bit short. I think 2.5 hours would be nicer than 2 hours
>>
>> [next] ships 2 hours, not 2 1/2
>>
>> ie imagine
>>
>> 0600 .. 0830
>> [next]
>> 0800 .. 1030
>> [next]
>> 1000.. 1230
>>
>> I quickly browse choosing categories of interest by colour eg movies in white. What I see is a sea of colourless guide items.
> Please add an issue to MythTV for an enhancement to change the guide. I think I could fit more if the entire episode descriptions were not displayed, but were available as a tooltip, like in the recorded listing.

I would vote for your proposed idea to truncate the description as necessary in the guide. Though if you could fit 3 hours in similar to how myth web works currently, I would prefer that since Primetime TV in the USA is 3 hours, typically from 8-11 eastern time zone. I don’t know how primetime fits in other countries.

Regards!
Re: Feedback mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
On 11/28/23 00:22, James Linder wrote:
> At 8am today I look at what is showing tomorrow night
>
> Select Date
> mythweb: Select Time, webfrontend [next][next]….

in web app, program guide, the date and time show at the top of the
page. Either overtype with desired date and time or click the calendar
icon to the right, select the time and date from the displayed calendar

Peter
Re: Feedback mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
On 11/28/23 06:48, Paul Harrison wrote:
> Regarding the EPG not sure if Peter modified or replaced it but I
> think it's only fair to point out Stuart A did most of the work
> creating the original EPG screen.

It is mostly what Stuart built. I added scroll left an right, and click
to schedule a recording.

Peter