Mailing List Archive

Upcoming Recordings Deactivating
Hi all,

I hope someone will be able to help me resolve this problem - every so often, for no apparent reason, all of my upcoming recordings get deactivated.

I am able to re-activate them easily enough via MythWeb ... Upcoming Recordings with the Deactivated box checked, but I don't always catch the problem before missing a recording or two.

Any help to fix this would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Dave.
Re: Upcoming Recordings Deactivating [ In reply to ]
On 10/18/23 15:42, Lists wrote:
> Upcoming Recordings Deactivating
>
> Hi all,
>

> I hope someone will be able to help me resolve this problem - every so
> often, for no apparent reason, all of my upcoming recordings get
> deactivated.
>

> I am able to re-activate them easily enough via MythWeb ... Upcoming
> Recordings with the Deactivated box checked, but I don't always catch
> the problem before missing a recording or two.
>

> Any help to fix this would be gratefully received.
>

> Regards,
>
> Dave.

Some people have had this problem when their mythweb was accessible to
the internet. Search engines access your web page and all of the links
on it while looking for items to index and in the process they navigate
links that inactivate, delete, and all manner of unwanted things. Make
sure mythweb is not on the internet.
I hope someone will be able to help me resolve this problem - every so often, for no apparent reason, all of my upcoming recordings get deactivated.

I am able to re-activate them easily enough via MythWeb ... Upcoming Recordings with the Deactivated box checked, but I don't always catch the problem before missing a recording or two.

Any help to fix this would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Dave.

Some people have had this problem when their mythweb was accessible to the internet. Search engines access your web page and all of the links on it while looking for items to index and in the process they navigate links that inactivate, delete, and all manner of unwanted things. Make sure mythweb is not on the internet.

Thanks Peter,

That was almost certainly the problem, I've enhanced security somewhat now and added a robots.txt file too (I used to have one of these, but I guess it got lost over the years), which hopefully will prevent it from happening again.

Time will tell, I guess :-)

Regards,

Dave.
Re: Upcoming Recordings Deactivating [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 07:29:44 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

There are endless bots that ignore the robots.txt file, not to mention
malware and malicious persons, so you must not allow external access
to mythweb unless only you can access it. The way I do that is to
have an OpenVPN server running on my network that allows me to
securely connect to it from the outside with full encryption. Then
via an OpenVPN client I can access anything on my home network. These
days, you would probably use Wireguard as that is easier to set up and
lots of routers support it natively.