Mailing List Archive

Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K
I'm trying to run the Android Mythfrontend on a Firestick 4K without any
luck. Has anyone succeeded at this? It fails the initial authentication
against the Mysql database on the backend.

This is against Peter's latest build of the 32 bit version. Peter had
some suggestions, but nothing has worked.

Some notes:

Mysql sees sees the query and the mysql log shows

2023-09-23T20:02:39.007635Z     7975 Connect mythtv@fire4k.kmhome on
mythconverg using TCP/IP
2023-09-23T20:02:39.007719Z     7975 Connect    Access denied for user
'mythtv'@'fire4k.kmhome' (using password: NO)

I have several Linux machines with mythfrontend running against the same
mysql database successfully and the mysql log shows

2023-09-23T20:04:17.913574Z      7979 Connect mythtv@kmnuc-w.kmhome on
mythconverg using SSL/TLS
2023-09-23T20:04:17.915495Z      7979 Init DB   mythconverg

The problem is not based on a permission error on the mysql server. The
other clients had no problem, but at Peter's suggested I opened it even
wider for a test adding a "mythtv'@'%" user with a wide open grant of
permissions. It's not permissions.

I also snooped the wire to see what the firestick was sending in its
authentication dialog. I won't post all the voluminous details, but in
decoding the mysql transaction I noticed

       Username: mythtv
        Schema: mythconverg
        Client Auth Plugin: dummy_fallback_auth
        Connection Attributes
            Connection Attributes length: 113
            Connection Attribute - _os: Android
            Connection Attribute - _client_name: libmariadb
                Connection Attribute Value: libmariadb

The reference to mariadb caught my eye since the backend uses mysql, as
well as the Auth Plugin.

Any help?

Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, but I had similar problems with a Fire
TV box.

Leanfront did work for me. You might give it a try so at least you can use
it while you investigate.

Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
On 9/24/23 14:10, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I'm trying to run the Android Mythfrontend on a Firestick 4K without
> any luck. Has anyone succeeded at this? It fails the initial
> authentication against the Mysql database on the backend.
>
> This is against Peter's latest build of the 32 bit version. Peter had
> some suggestions, but nothing has worked.
>
> Some notes:
>
> Mysql sees sees the query and the mysql log shows
>
> 2023-09-23T20:02:39.007635Z     7975 Connect mythtv@fire4k.kmhome on
> mythconverg using TCP/IP
> 2023-09-23T20:02:39.007719Z     7975 Connect    Access denied for user
> 'mythtv'@'fire4k.kmhome' (using password: NO)
>

> I have several Linux machines with mythfrontend running against the
> same mysql database successfully and the mysql log shows
>
> 2023-09-23T20:04:17.913574Z      7979 Connect mythtv@kmnuc-w.kmhome on
> mythconverg using SSL/TLS
> 2023-09-23T20:04:17.915495Z      7979 Init DB   mythconverg
>
> The problem is not based on a permission error on the mysql server.
> The other clients had no problem, but at Peter's suggested I opened it
> even wider for a test adding a "mythtv'@'%" user with a wide open
> grant of permissions. It's not permissions.
>
> I also snooped the wire to see what the firestick was sending in its
> authentication dialog. I won't post all the voluminous details, but in
> decoding the mysql transaction I noticed
>
>        Username: mythtv
>         Schema: mythconverg
>         Client Auth Plugin: dummy_fallback_auth
>         Connection Attributes
>             Connection Attributes length: 113
>             Connection Attribute - _os: Android
>             Connection Attribute - _client_name: libmariadb
>                 Connection Attribute Value: libmariadb
>
> The reference to mariadb caught my eye since the backend uses mysql,
> as well as the Auth Plugin.
>
> Any help?

I just ran a test with
mythfrontend-20230620-arm-v34-Pre-285-gad0f875696.apk (32bit), fire
stick 4k, master backend.  I do connect successfully to the database,
which is mysql. The frontend window shows on the tv and I can play
recordings.

You can check your config.xml settings as follows:

adb connect <fire-tv-ip-address>
adb shell
run-as org.mythtv.mythfrontend
cd files
cat config.xml

Perhaps the user id or the password is wrong there?

Peter

Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/23 09:21, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 9/24/23 14:10, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
>> I'm trying to run the Android Mythfrontend on a Firestick 4K without
>> any luck. Has anyone succeeded at this? It fails the initial
>> authentication against the Mysql database on the backend.
>>
>> This is against Peter's latest build of the 32 bit version. Peter had
>> some suggestions, but nothing has worked.
>>
>> Some notes:
>>
>> Mysql sees sees the query and the mysql log shows
>>
>> 2023-09-23T20:02:39.007635Z     7975 Connect mythtv@fire4k.kmhome on
>> mythconverg using TCP/IP
>> 2023-09-23T20:02:39.007719Z     7975 Connect    Access denied for
>> user 'mythtv'@'fire4k.kmhome' (using password: NO)
>>

>> I have several Linux machines with mythfrontend running against the
>> same mysql database successfully and the mysql log shows
>>
>> 2023-09-23T20:04:17.913574Z      7979 Connect mythtv@kmnuc-w.kmhome
>> on mythconverg using SSL/TLS
>> 2023-09-23T20:04:17.915495Z      7979 Init DB   mythconverg
>>
>> The problem is not based on a permission error on the mysql server.
>> The other clients had no problem, but at Peter's suggested I opened
>> it even wider for a test adding a "mythtv'@'%" user with a wide open
>> grant of permissions. It's not permissions.
>>
>> I also snooped the wire to see what the firestick was sending in its
>> authentication dialog. I won't post all the voluminous details, but
>> in decoding the mysql transaction I noticed
>>
>>        Username: mythtv
>>         Schema: mythconverg
>>         Client Auth Plugin: dummy_fallback_auth
>>         Connection Attributes
>>             Connection Attributes length: 113
>>             Connection Attribute - _os: Android
>>             Connection Attribute - _client_name: libmariadb
>>                 Connection Attribute Value: libmariadb
>>
>> The reference to mariadb caught my eye since the backend uses mysql,
>> as well as the Auth Plugin.
>>
>> Any help?
>>

> I just ran a test with
> mythfrontend-20230620-arm-v34-Pre-285-gad0f875696.apk (32bit), fire
> stick 4k, master backend.  I do connect successfully to the database,
> which is mysql. The frontend window shows on the tv and I can play
> recordings.
>
> You can check your config.xml settings as follows:
>
> adb connect <fire-tv-ip-address>
> adb shell
> run-as org.mythtv.mythfrontend
> cd files
> cat config.xml
>
> Perhaps the user id or the password is wrong there?
>
> Peter

I found there is a bug in the version of MythTV that I last built for
Android (above mentioned version). The prompt for database credentials
causes the program to crash. The latest master version does not have
this bug. I will post a new build for android that fixes this.

This is probably a bug with all builds, not just android, that happened
to occur in ad0f875696 and has been since fixed.

Peter

Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
(responding to list this time)

I just today installed Leanfront on a Fire Stick 4k, and it worked fine,
requiring no more than entering the host name of the backend.

And like you, the full mythfrontend app is failing to connect. The fact
that Leanfront works, and that I can also remotely use the normal mysql
client remotely makes me wonder what the problem might be.

I too am running mysql as the database server, but from what I can tell
the MariaDB client protocol is binary compatible with that of MySQL, so
that could be a red herring...

Anyway, I've heard that Leanfront may be better than the full MythTV
client as it uses hardware video acceleration (and the full does not?
Still?). But I'd like to test out both, as I've found that the
Leanfront interface leaves a touch to be desired. At least for someone
used to the full client.

If you figure anything out, please report back here, and I'll do the same.

Addendum: Looking at adb logcat info, I see:
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE , attempt 0, status dbAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE , attempt 1, status dbAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 2, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 3, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 4, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 5, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 6, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 7, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 8, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 9, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 10, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:1010:TestDBconnection Start up failure. host
<hostname>, status beAwakeFail

The fact that the BE (backend, I presume) starts out blank, and then
falls back to 127.0.0.1 is a touch suspicious. Though perhaps it
defaults to using the same host as the DB?

I noticed a message from Peter saying that "The prompt for database
credentials causes the program to crash." in the last-built Android
version, but I'll note that I see no visible crash. Unless "the
program" is referring to a separate helper app that isn't visible?

Thanks
-WD

Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/23 12:16 PM, Will Dormann wrote:
> (responding to list this time)
>
> I just today installed Leanfront on a Fire Stick 4k, and it worked fine,
> requiring no more than entering the host name of the backend.
>
> And like you, the full mythfrontend app is failing to connect.

OK, just to follow up on my own post:

The "DB <hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1" part in logcat was my hint as to the
client attempting to connect to the wrong host. From another list post,
I saw that I should run in mysql:

SELECT * FROM settings WHERE value LIKE 'BackendServer%' OR value LIKE
'MasterServer%' ORDER BY value

This showed a number of IP addresses that were 127.0.0.1 rather than the
reachable IP of the backend. Which perhaps is not too much of a
surprise, as this MythTV system (which has recently had its 20th
birthday) has always been a combined frontend/backend. Updating these
values to the machine's actual machine's IP address (and restarting
mythtv-backend just for good luck) got me to connect with the full
Android MythTV client. The fact that Leanfront just worked threw me for
a loop, but I suspect that that's because it's not using the full MythTV
API for interacting with the backend.

While the UI is familiar, the experience was pretty rough The app took
close to 60 seconds to launch. Interacting with the UI is a touch
sluggish, and I had to turn off deinterlacing to get non-choppy playback
of the sample video that I tried (which happened to be MPEG2). The
directions at <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android> seemed a touch
different than what I saw in the UI, so I'm not 100% sure that I got it
set up with ideal settings.

As an aside: Going into the Leanfront settings to switch the display of
recordings to sort in descending order was the most obvious thing that
needed to change.

Perhaps I was a bit spoiled with my x86_64 box with NVIDIA video output,
but it seems that the Fire Stick 4K is a touch anemic to run the
full-blown MythTV frontend. Does this seem to match other folks'
experiences here? I suppose that some video settings might be tweakable
to make it more acceptable, but it seems that my goal of "reduce clutter
around the TV area" might be inseparable from "compromise on video
quality and UX". The mere fact that it takes nearly a minute to launch
the app is probably a deal breaker on using it as it is.

Does anybody have any tips on setting up MythTV on a Fire Stick 4k to
make it more of a pleasant experience? Or is there another device that
might better fit the need of a stick-behind-the-TV form factor of a
MythTV frontend? (Which I suppose might require that it be controllable
with something other than IR, given the lack of line-of-sight access to it)

Thanks!
-WD

Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/23 2:36 PM, Will Dormann wrote:
> While the UI is familiar, the experience was pretty rough  The app took
> close to 60 seconds to launch.  Interacting with the UI is a touch
> sluggish, and I had to turn off deinterlacing to get non-choppy playback
> of the sample video that I tried (which happened to be MPEG2). The
> directions at <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android> seemed a touch
> different than what I saw in the UI, so I'm not 100% sure that I got it
> set up with ideal settings.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my prior message: According to the above
guide, one should configure MythTV to have stereo audio output.

While I don't yet have my surround audio system set up yet, is it true
that using a Fire Stick 4k as a frontend, you won't even get surround sound?

If all of the above are just "how it is" with a Fire Stick, what is the
preferred MythTV frontend device these days? I'm sort of old school
with the "pop an NVIDIA card in a PC and you'll be golden" mindset.

Thanks
-WD

Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/23 12:16, Will Dormann wrote:
> [...]
> mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
> <hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 9, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
> mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
> <hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 10, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
> mythcontext.cpp:1010:TestDBconnection  Start up failure. host
> <hostname>, status beAwakeFail
>
> The fact that the BE (backend, I presume) starts out blank, and then
> falls back to 127.0.0.1 is a touch suspicious. Though perhaps it
> defaults to using the same host as the DB?
>
> I noticed a message from Peter saying that "The prompt for database
> credentials causes the program to crash." in the last-built Android
> version, but I'll note that I see no visible crash.  Unless "the
> program" is referring to a separate helper app that isn't visible?

What was happening is that if your DB machine is down, it would display
a screen that says "waiting for database", and if you tabbed to the
Setup button (to fix database settings) and pressed enter, the program
exited and returned you to the fire stick home screen. That is fixed in
the new version.

Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/23 15:10, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 9/25/23 2:36 PM, Will Dormann wrote:
>> While the UI is familiar, the experience was pretty rough  The app
>> took close to 60 seconds to launch. Interacting with the UI is a
>> touch sluggish, and I had to turn off deinterlacing to get non-choppy
>> playback of the sample video that I tried (which happened to be
>> MPEG2). The directions at <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android>
>> seemed a touch different than what I saw in the UI, so I'm not 100%
>> sure that I got it set up with ideal settings.
>
> Oh, and I forgot to mention in my prior message: According to the
> above guide, one should configure MythTV to have stereo audio output.
>
> While I don't yet have my surround audio system set up yet, is it true
> that using a Fire Stick 4k as a frontend, you won't even get surround
> sound?

If you select audio device OpenSLES you are limited to stereo, That is
why I recommend selecting device AudioTrack, which supports surround
sound pass through as well.

Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/23 4:11 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> If you select audio device OpenSLES you are limited to stereo, That is
> why I recommend selecting device AudioTrack, which supports surround
> sound pass through as well.

Thanks for the info.  I suppose that I consider the current Wiki page
<https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android#Amazon_Fire_TV_Stick_4K> to be
misleading then:

Recommended Settings

Set these in Mythfrontend.

Audio Setup Value
Audio -> Audio output device AudioTrack:
Audio -> Digital Audio Capabilities All unchecked
Audio -> Speaker Configuration Stereo
Audio -> Upconvert Stereo Unchecked

You may be able to use digital audio passthrough. This has not been tested.

If the Speaker Configuration is set to "Stereo", I'd think that it might
override what the original audio is set up to be, no?

Digital audio passthrough having "not been tested" is a little less
reassuring than I'd like, and also avoids mentioning how I'd actually
achieve it.

-WD
Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
Try This:

SELECT user,plugin,host FROM mysql.user;

Sample result from my system:
'mythtv', 'mysql_native_password', '192.168.0.%'
'debian-sys-maint', 'caching_sha2_password', 'localhost'
'mysql.infoschema', 'caching_sha2_password', 'localhost'
'mysql.session', 'caching_sha2_password', 'localhost'
'mysql.sys', 'caching_sha2_password', 'localhost'

Your mythtv user id must have mysql_native_password.

Use this in /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf before you create your
user id:
default_authentication_plugin=mysql_native_password

You may be able to fix it this way if it has the wrong plugin:
ALTER USER 'mythtv'@'192.168.0.%' IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password
by 'mythtv';

Alternatively create the user id this way:
create user 'mythtv'@'192.168.0.%' identified with mysql_native_password
by 'mythtv';

Peter

Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
Thanks Peter! I had native password on my mythtv@% on the mysql server ,
but there was an older mythtv@192.168.10.% that had caching_sha2 set for
the Linux clients. I altered that and now the firestick can authenticate.

Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/23 16:35, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 9/25/23 4:11 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> If you select audio device OpenSLES you are limited to stereo, That
>> is why I recommend selecting device AudioTrack, which supports
>> surround sound pass through as well.
>

> Thanks for the info.  I suppose that I consider the current Wiki page
> <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android#Amazon_Fire_TV_Stick_4K> to be
> misleading then:
>

> Recommended Settings
>
> Set these in Mythfrontend.
>
> Audio Setup Value
> Audio -> Audio output device AudioTrack:
> Audio -> Digital Audio Capabilities All unchecked
> Audio -> Speaker Configuration Stereo
> Audio -> Upconvert Stereo Unchecked
>
> You may be able to use digital audio passthrough. This has not been
> tested.
>

> If the Speaker Configuration is set to "Stereo", I'd think that it
> might override what the original audio is set up to be, no?
>
> Digital audio passthrough having "not been tested" is a little less
> reassuring than I'd like, and also avoids mentioning how I'd actually
> achieve it.
>

> -WD

I have tested digital audio and it works. I developed the audiotrack
code specifically to support digital surround sound because it is not
supported with OpenSLES. You will need to set the correct options in the
frontend setup for digital audio, the same as you would on a Linux box.

Peter
Re: Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K [ In reply to ]
Thanks Peter!

Your suggestion to use mysql_native_password fixed the problem with my Fire
TV box.

Bob