Mailing List Archive

Super-slow Commercial Flagging Job
Hi Folks!

Before I do something stupid I want to check with the group. I have a
job in the Job Queue that’s been ‘stuck’ – actually it says it is
running, just super-slow:

Job: Flag Commercials Status: Running (BE4)

51% Completed @ 0.0225428 fps

“BE4” is the oh-so-clever name of the Backend

Poor thing is slowing down as four days ago was 51% @ 0.026-something fps.

Good news: other jobs are running and completing fine The show in
question was recorded July 17, so the job has been running for a month.
(And so finish by the end of August? <jk>)

Tangent: Machine Status > Server > Swap will sometimes say ‘Unknown”,
especially during recordings and for a little while (several minutes)
after recording and/or playback; otherwise reports normally. Figure
might have something to do with the Job Queue issue.

I don’t see the show listed in the AutoExpire Listing.

Backend Information:

Ubuntu 20.04 Myth version 31

RAM 32 GB

$ free -h

total    used    free shared   buff/cache   available

Mem:     31Gi   7.4Gi   505Mi      64Mi 23Gi        23Gi

Swap:   2.0Gi   2.0Gi      0B

So the question is what to do? I don’t see an option to kill it (can
pause, stop, or no change). What about OS updates, especially if needs
to reboot the Backend? (The latter is my main concern.)

Thanks!

Barry
Re: Super-slow Commercial Flagging Job [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:46:03 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Folks!
>

>Before I do something stupid I want to check with the group. I have a
>job in the Job Queue that?s been ?stuck? ? actually it says it is
>running, just super-slow:
>
>Job: Flag Commercials Status: Running (BE4)
>
>51% Completed @ 0.0225428 fps
>

>?BE4? is the oh-so-clever name of the Backend
>
>Poor thing is slowing down as four days ago was 51% @ 0.026-something fps.
>

>Good news: other jobs are running and completing fine The show in
>question was recorded July 17, so the job has been running for a month.
>(And so finish by the end of August? <jk>)
>

>Tangent: Machine Status > Server > Swap will sometimes say ?Unknown?,
>especially during recordings and for a little while (several minutes)
>after recording and/or playback; otherwise reports normally. Figure
>might have something to do with the Job Queue issue.
>

>I don?t see the show listed in the AutoExpire Listing.
>

>Backend Information:
>
>Ubuntu 20.04 Myth version 31
>
>RAM 32 GB
>
>$ free -h
>
>total??? used??? free shared?? buff/cache?? available
>
>Mem:???? 31Gi?? 7.4Gi?? 505Mi????? 64Mi 23Gi??????? 23Gi
>
>Swap:?? 2.0Gi?? 2.0Gi????? 0B
>

>So the question is what to do? I don?t see an option to kill it (can
>pause, stop, or no change). What about OS updates, especially if needs
>to reboot the Backend? (The latter is my main concern.)
>

>Thanks!
>
>Barry

Back when I used to have commercial skip processing working, when I
got a job like that it was usually actually stuck and unable to
process past a patch of bad data in a file. The gradual "slowing
down" effect is caused by time going by - speed = amount of data
divided by time, so if no more data is processed but time is still
going by, the speed calculated gets gradually slower and slower.

You will need to just kill the job - run:

ps -ef | grep mythcommflag

If there are multiple mythcommflag jobs, there should be one with a
massively bigger elapsed time value. Find its PID and do:

sudo kill <pid>

and if that does not work:

sudo kill -9 <pid>
Re: Super-slow Commercial Flagging Job [ In reply to ]