Mailing List Archive

Video file naming with multiple parts/episode
I’m just ripping some DVDs, and I’ve come across one (Campion) where each episode is in 2 parts with the same name - each story was originally transmitted as 2off 1 hour episodes, a week apart.
So I have "S1E1 Look to the Lady” - but I have two parts. Is this something the system can cope with, or will I need to catenate the two parts into one file ?

Simon

Re: Video file naming with multiple parts/episode [ In reply to ]
Hoi Simon,

Tuesday, August 8, 2023, 10:10:50 PM, you wrote:

> I’m just ripping some DVDs, and I’ve come across one (Campion)
> where each episode is in 2 parts with the same name - each story was
> originally transmitted as 2off 1 hour episodes, a week apart.
> So I have "S1E1 Look to the Lady” - but I have two parts. Is this
> something the system can cope with, or will I need to catenate the two parts into one file ?

> Simon

I would suggest checking the media site you use. Here is where the
episode names etc is grabbed from. If it sees them as separate
episodes with separate episode numbers, keep them separate and use
their numbering else merge them into one.

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: Video file naming with multiple parts/episode [ In reply to ]
On 8/8/2023 8:40 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Simon,
>
> Tuesday, August 8, 2023, 10:10:50 PM, you wrote:
>
>> I’m just ripping some DVDs, and I’ve come across one (Campion)
>> where each episode is in 2 parts with the same name - each story was
>> originally transmitted as 2off 1 hour episodes, a week apart.
>> So I have "S1E1 Look to the Lady” - but I have two parts. Is this
>> something the system can cope with, or will I need to catenate the two parts into one file ?
>> Simon
> I would suggest checking the media site you use. Here is where the
> episode names etc is grabbed from. If it sees them as separate
> episodes with separate episode numbers, keep them separate and use
> their numbering else merge them into one.
>

> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

You don't have to merge the files into one, just add something in
parentheses to both filenames so they are distinct. What's in the parens
is not used to do the metadata lookup. They'll get the same metadata,
description, etc., but they'll exist as different files and they should
be listed in order, if you name them like this:

"S1E1 Look to the Lady (part1).mp4"
"S1E1 Look to the Lady (part2).mp4"

Re: Video file naming with multiple parts/episode [ In reply to ]
On 8/8/2023 10:45 PM, faginbagin wrote:
> On 8/8/2023 8:40 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Simon,
>>
>> Tuesday, August 8, 2023, 10:10:50 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> I’m just ripping some DVDs, and I’ve come across one (Campion)
>>> where each episode is in 2 parts with the same name - each story was
>>> originally transmitted as 2off 1 hour episodes, a week apart.
>>> So I have "S1E1 Look to the Lady” - but I have two parts. Is this
>>> something the system can cope with, or will I need to catenate the
>>> two parts into one file ?
>>> Simon
>> I would suggest checking the media site you use. Here is where the
>> episode names etc is grabbed from. If it sees them as separate
>> episodes with separate episode numbers, keep them separate and use
>> their numbering else merge them into one.
>>

>> Tot mails,
>>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens
>>

> You don't have to merge the files into one, just add something in
> parentheses to both filenames so they are distinct. What's in the
> parens is not used to do the metadata lookup. They'll get the same
> metadata, description, etc., but they'll exist as different files and
> they should be listed in order, if you name them like this:
>
> "S1E1 Look to the Lady (part1).mp4"
> "S1E1 Look to the Lady (part2).mp4"

I just took a look at thetvdb.com and themoviedb.org. Both list Campion
- Look to the Lady as two episodes, i.e. part 1 is s1e1 and part 2 is
s1e2. So, follow Hika's advice first, to check the media site. If it
doesn't list two episodes, then try my suggestion with parens.

Re: Video file naming with multiple parts/episode [ In reply to ]
Helen Buus <helen.buus@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You don't have to merge the files into one, just add something in parentheses to both filenames so they are distinct. What's in the parens is not used to do the metadata lookup. They'll get the same metadata, description, etc., but they'll exist as different files and they should be listed in order, if you name them like this:
>>
>> "S1E1 Look to the Lady (part1).mp4"
>> "S1E1 Look to the Lady (part2).mp4"
>>
> I just took a look at thetvdb.com and themoviedb.org. Both list Campion - Look to the Lady as two episodes, i.e. part 1 is s1e1 and part 2 is s1e2. So, follow Hika's advice first, to check the media site. If it doesn't list two episodes, then try my suggestion with parens.

Sorry, not been able to have another go at this - minor things like painting the house while the weather was decent ...

Success - eventually.
I was just looking at Wikipedia for the episode names etc., I never thought to check the database sites. I also had to rename the folder “Campion (1989)”, remove it from Myth’s view, rescan to clear it from the database, put it back, and rescan again.

BTW, where do I see which grabber & database my system is set to use ?

Simon

Re: Video file naming with multiple parts/episode [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 9:18?PM Simon <linux@thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> BTW, where do I see which grabber & database my system is set to use ?

In the MythTV frontend, go to
Setup -> Artwork and Data Sources
There you can select the grabbers for TV and Movies (and Games).
Depending on your selection, the grabber scripts use the following
web sites to retrieve the metadata:
- https://www.themoviedb.org
- https://thetvdb.com
- https://www.tvmaze.com