As Streaming channels implode, I find myself returning to MythTV again.

This time around, I've written a Roku app (channel, in Roku lingo) for MythTV.

Currently looking for Beta testers:

https://my.roku.com/account/add/MythicalMythTVBeta

Setup instructions and details are at: https://github.com/evuraan/MythicalMythTV

Please report issues and feedback at
https://github.com/evuraan/MythicalMythTV/issues

Thanks!
Re: MythTV Player on Roku: seeking beta testers [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 7, 2023 at 9:32?PM Evuraan <evuraan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As Streaming channels implode, I find myself returning to MythTV again.
>
> This time around, I've written a Roku app (channel, in Roku lingo) for
> MythTV.
>
> Currently looking for Beta testers:
>
> https://my.roku.com/account/add/MythicalMythTVBeta
>
> Setup instructions and details are at:
> https://github.com/evuraan/MythicalMythTV
>
> Please report issues and feedback at
> https://github.com/evuraan/MythicalMythTV/issues
>
> Thanks!

While I'm pretty happy with all the FireTV 4Ks I have, I still have a Roku
Ultra that I have not used in 5 years. I pulled it out and set it up to a
4K UHD TV and it works after updating itself. I tested Sling TV, ESPN, and
Youtube. So I guess I could help you out if you need it. However, I'm
starting at point zero. The link took me to a Roku login. Not sure I have
anything but a Roku forum login and that didn't work for this link.

Maybe a little more details would help. So far I don't understand much on
your github page. It appears to be English but none of it makes sense to
me.

Jim A
Re: MythTV Player on Roku: seeking beta testers [ In reply to ]
Are the environment set in the user's account or system-wide?
Why does "maestro" run every 4 minutes?

Re: MythTV Player on Roku: seeking beta testers [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 5:09?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 7, 2023 at 9:32?PM Evuraan <evuraan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> As Streaming channels implode, I find myself returning to MythTV again.
>>
>> This time around, I've written a Roku app (channel, in Roku lingo) for
>> MythTV.
>>
>> Currently looking for Beta testers:
>>
>> https://my.roku.com/account/add/MythicalMythTVBeta
>>
>> Setup instructions and details are at:
>> https://github.com/evuraan/MythicalMythTV
>>
>> Please report issues and feedback at
>> https://github.com/evuraan/MythicalMythTV/issues
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> While I'm pretty happy with all the FireTV 4Ks I have, I still have a Roku
> Ultra that I have not used in 5 years. I pulled it out and set it up to a
> 4K UHD TV and it works after updating itself. I tested Sling TV, ESPN, and
> Youtube. So I guess I could help you out if you need it. However, I'm
> starting at point zero. The link took me to a Roku login. Not sure I have
> anything but a Roku forum login and that didn't work for this link.
>
> Maybe a little more details would help. So far I don't understand much on
> your github page. It appears to be English but none of it makes sense to
> me.
>
> Jim A

I was able to find an old login for Roku and got access to it again, an old
URL apparently. So now that link in your email allows me to install your
channel software app. So that part worked. Now I need to figure out what
the hell is Maestro and all the details around it. It's happy hour where I
am so maybe a few bourbons will clear things up :-)

Jim A
Re: MythTV Player on Roku: seeking beta testers [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 6:00?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 5:09?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Aug 7, 2023 at 9:32?PM Evuraan <evuraan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> As Streaming channels implode, I find myself returning to MythTV again.
>>>
>>> This time around, I've written a Roku app (channel, in Roku lingo) for
>>> MythTV.
>>>
>>> Currently looking for Beta testers:
>>>
>>> https://my.roku.com/account/add/MythicalMythTVBeta
>>>
>>> Setup instructions and details are at:
>>> https://github.com/evuraan/MythicalMythTV
>>>
>>> Please report issues and feedback at
>>> https://github.com/evuraan/MythicalMythTV/issues
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> While I'm pretty happy with all the FireTV 4Ks I have, I still have a
>> Roku Ultra that I have not used in 5 years. I pulled it out and set it up
>> to a 4K UHD TV and it works after updating itself. I tested Sling TV,
>> ESPN, and Youtube. So I guess I could help you out if you need it.
>> However, I'm starting at point zero. The link took me to a Roku login.
>> Not sure I have anything but a Roku forum login and that didn't work for
>> this link.
>>
>> Maybe a little more details would help. So far I don't understand much
>> on your github page. It appears to be English but none of it makes sense to
>> me.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> I was able to find an old login for Roku and got access to it again, an
> old URL apparently. So now that link in your email allows me to install
> your channel software app. So that part worked. Now I need to figure out
> what the hell is Maestro and all the details around it. It's happy hour
> where I am so maybe a few bourbons will clear things up :-)

I'm very interested in running this as well. Can you provide some
information on what Maestor is doing? Also, all I see on your repo is the
binary for Maestro, is there a way of getting access to the source code to
compile locally?
Re: MythTV Player on Roku: seeking beta testers [ In reply to ]
> Are the environment set in the user's account or system-wide?
Just the process needs to see the env vars, scope does not have to be any wider:

$ export MYSQL_USERNAME="dbuserReadOnly" MYSQL_PASSWORD="securePassword"
$ ./maestro -debug

> Why does "maestro" run every 4 minutes?

You can change this with the -interval option:

-interval duration
time interval to update records (default 5m0s)

As to what maestro does, think of it as the component described here:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ROKU_HD_Frontend#Server_Side_PHP_Script

( Except maestro does not do video re-encode, it merely picks up
roku-playable-videos and thumbnails from your "-recordingsPath"
folder. )

https://github.com/evuraan/MythicalMythTV/tree/main/maestro#video-processing
Re: MythTV Player on Roku: seeking beta testers [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 10:33?PM Evuraan <evuraan@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Are the environment set in the user's account or system-wide?
> Just the process needs to see the env vars, scope does not have to be any
> wider:
>
> $ export MYSQL_USERNAME="dbuserReadOnly" MYSQL_PASSWORD="securePassword"
> $ ./maestro -debug
>
> > Why does "maestro" run every 4 minutes?
>
> You can change this with the -interval option:
>
> -interval duration
> time interval to update records (default 5m0s)
>
> As to what maestro does, think of it as the component described here:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ROKU_HD_Frontend#Server_Side_PHP_Script
>
> ( Except maestro does not do video re-encode, it merely picks up
> roku-playable-videos and thumbnails from your "-recordingsPath"
> folder. )
>

> https://github.com/evuraan/MythicalMythTV/tree/main/maestro#video-processing

I see from your wiki page that the recordings have to be transcoded to
h.264. That's the showstopper for me.

Sorry, I won't be testing this app. My Roku Ultra goes back in the closet.

Jim A
Re: MythTV Player on Roku: seeking beta testers [ In reply to ]
> I see from your wiki page that the recordings have to be transcoded to h.264. That's the showstopper for me.

The mythtv/wiki link is not about my implementation, but I was trying
to provide additional context to answer the "what is maestro"
question. Likely ended up confusing you!

I am able to play files without transcoding to h.264 - it depends on
the roku device model. One of my roku devices can play pretty much as
recorded OTA.

This is a "smart" 4k tv from recent years:

Stream #0:0[0x1](und): Video: mpeg2video (Main) (mp4v / 0x7634706D),
yuv420p(tv, top first), 704x480 [SAR 40:33 DAR 16:9], 2353 kb/s, 29.97
fps, 29.97 tbr, 30k tbn (default)
Stream #0:1[0x2](und): Audio: ac3 (ac-3 / 0x332D6361), 48000 Hz,
stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s (default)

However, my older roku cannot play the ac3 audio - I would need to use
mp3 acodec:

ffmpeg -err_detect ignore_err -i "$srcFile" -video_track_timescale
30000 -vcodec copy -acodec mp3 -fflags +genpts <output file>

( Not re-encoding the video, just copying the bitstream of the video
to the output, but change the audio to mp3 - from that point on this
file is playable on all my devices. )

Given how much of a rabbit hole this is, considering the device
capabilities + format combo, the orchestrator expects to find
"playable" files in the folder from `-recordingsPath` argument. It
does not do on the fly video re-encoding.
Re: MythTV Player on Roku: seeking beta testers [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 12, 2023 at 1:04?PM Evuraan <evuraan@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I see from your wiki page that the recordings have to be transcoded to
> h.264. That's the showstopper for me.
>

> The mythtv/wiki link is not about my implementation, but I was trying
> to provide additional context to answer the "what is maestro"
> question. Likely ended up confusing you!
>
> I am able to play files without transcoding to h.264 - it depends on
> the roku device model. One of my roku devices can play pretty much as
> recorded OTA.
>
> This is a "smart" 4k tv from recent years:
>
> Stream #0:0[0x1](und): Video: mpeg2video (Main) (mp4v / 0x7634706D),
> yuv420p(tv, top first), 704x480 [SAR 40:33 DAR 16:9], 2353 kb/s, 29.97
> fps, 29.97 tbr, 30k tbn (default)
> Stream #0:1[0x2](und): Audio: ac3 (ac-3 / 0x332D6361), 48000 Hz,
> stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s (default)
>
> However, my older roku cannot play the ac3 audio - I would need to use
> mp3 acodec:
>
> ffmpeg -err_detect ignore_err -i "$srcFile" -video_track_timescale
> 30000 -vcodec copy -acodec mp3 -fflags +genpts <output file>
>
> ( Not re-encoding the video, just copying the bitstream of the video
> to the output, but change the audio to mp3 - from that point on this
> file is playable on all my devices. )
>
> Given how much of a rabbit hole this is, considering the device
> capabilities + format combo, the orchestrator expects to find
> "playable" files in the folder from `-recordingsPath` argument. It
> does not do on the fly video re-encoding.

My Roku is an Ultra. Not sure why I bought a 4K Roku as my first streaming
device but it was about $80 in 2016. I then bought a Nvidia Shield in
2017. ~$180. Both were okay but not great. Once I could get a FireTV 4K
for $25 on Prime Day, I was set. Every year when the latest and greatest
goes on sale for $25 I buy another one. Now all TVs in my house have a
FireTV 4K along with my 2 TVs in my RV.

I need to find someone local who wants the Roku and the ShieldTV and I'll
give them away. It costs more to mail them than they are worth anymore.

Jim A
Re: MythTV Player on Roku: seeking beta testers [ In reply to ]
>> does not do on the fly video re-encoding.

I took the various feedback and made some changes:

(1) enabled on-the-fly video re-encoding. (2) no longer requires mysql
creds and access.

https://github.com/evuraan/MythicalMythTV/tree/main/maestro#on-the-fly-encoding