Mailing List Archive

Nvidia 535 drivers - do not install
I have just upgraded to the new Nvidia 535 drivers (535.54.03) on my
three main Ubuntu 22.04 systems, all using Nvidia GT1030 cards. The
535.54 drivers are supposed to be the latest production drivers, but
they seem to be quite buggy. I have run up against two serious
problems so far:

1) When the drivers installed, during the installation process, the
screen went blank. I also tried the Ctrl-Alt-Fx console screens and
they were not working either. My monitor just said it was not getting
any signal. So something from the new drivers was interfering with
the old ones still running from RAM, before the reboot was done. I
had to reboot using an ssh login, and that crashed a VM I was running
on one system. So if you do want to try these drivers, I would
recommend manually shutting down all VMs and all programs first. After
rebooting the video came up normally.

2) Two of the machines were using the VDPAU High Quality profile, and
they were able to play recordings normally. But one was set to NVDEC
Normal profile, and its video from recordings and a couple of video
files was very distorted. It was possible to make out the outlines of
some things, but there were diagonal lines over everything. However,
the mythfrontend overlays over the video displayed properly. Testing
on one of the other boxes by changing it to NVDEC Normal produced the
same results. I am happy to use VDPAU High Quality for most things,
but there are some 2160p downloaded files that I have that will only
play using NVDEC Normal.

So until these problems get fixed, I would recommend not going beyond
the Nvidia 530 series drivers, which were working fine for me.
Re: Nvidia 535 drivers - do not install [ In reply to ]
> I have just upgraded to the new Nvidia 535 drivers (535.54.03) on my
> three main Ubuntu 22.04 systems, all using Nvidia GT1030 cards. The
> 535.54 drivers are supposed to be the latest production drivers, but
> they seem to be quite buggy. I have run up against two serious
> problems so far:
>
> 1) When the drivers installed, during the installation process, the
> screen went blank. I also tried the Ctrl-Alt-Fx console screens and
> they were not working either. My monitor just said it was not getting
> any signal. So something from the new drivers was interfering with
> the old ones still running from RAM, before the reboot was done. I
> had to reboot using an ssh login, and that crashed a VM I was running
> on one system. So if you do want to try these drivers, I would
> recommend manually shutting down all VMs and all programs first. After
> rebooting the video came up normally.
>
> 2) Two of the machines were using the VDPAU High Quality profile, and
> they were able to play recordings normally. But one was set to NVDEC
> Normal profile, and its video from recordings and a couple of video
> files was very distorted. It was possible to make out the outlines of
> some things, but there were diagonal lines over everything. However,
> the mythfrontend overlays over the video displayed properly. Testing
> on one of the other boxes by changing it to NVDEC Normal produced the
> same results. I am happy to use VDPAU High Quality for most things,
> but there are some 2160p downloaded files that I have that will only
> play using NVDEC Normal.
>
> So until these problems get fixed, I would recommend not going beyond
> the Nvidia 530 series drivers, which were working fine for me.

My laptop was running NVidia driver version 510. It upgraded itself and
then the external monitor was not recognized. Version 510 is no longer
available and all the other versions that are available do not recognize
the external monitor. Eventually I installed the Nouveau driver. It is
ok for development work on a laptop and the external monitor works fine.

The NVidia 510 version had various other bugs when I used it - If I
plugged in the external monitor while the laptop was suspended, it
crashed on resuming - that does not happen with he Nouveau driver. Also
it randomly crashed on suspending, I solved that by running xrandr
--output $mon --off for each monitor before suspending and running
xrandr --auto after resuming.

Peter

Re: Nvidia 535 drivers - do not install [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 12:10:26 -0400, you wrote:

>My laptop was running NVidia driver version 510. It upgraded itself and
>then the external monitor was not recognized. Version 510 is no longer
>available and all the other versions that are available do not recognize
>the external monitor. Eventually I installed the Nouveau driver. It is
>ok for development work on a laptop and the external monitor works fine.
>
>The NVidia 510 version had various other bugs when I used it - If I
>plugged in the external monitor while the laptop was suspended, it
>crashed on resuming - that does not happen with he Nouveau driver. Also
>it randomly crashed on suspending, I solved that by running xrandr?
>--output $mon --off for each monitor before suspending and running
>xrandr --auto after resuming.
>
>Peter

So what Nvidia card does the laptop use? It is an old one that is no
longer supported? If so, then you may only be able to use the Nouveau
drivers with current Linux versions.
Re: Nvidia 535 drivers - do not install [ In reply to ]
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 12:10:26 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> My laptop was running NVidia driver version 510. It upgraded itself and
>> then the external monitor was not recognized. Version 510 is no longer
>> available and all the other versions that are available do not recognize
>> the external monitor. Eventually I installed the Nouveau driver. It is
>> ok for development work on a laptop and the external monitor works fine.
>>
>> The NVidia 510 version had various other bugs when I used it - If I
>> plugged in the external monitor while the laptop was suspended, it
>> crashed on resuming - that does not happen with he Nouveau driver. Also
>> it randomly crashed on suspending, I solved that by running xrandr
>> --output $mon --off for each monitor before suspending and running
>> xrandr --auto after resuming.
>>
>> Peter
> So what Nvidia card does the laptop use? It is an old one that is no
> longer supported? If so, then you may only be able to use the Nouveau
> drivers with current Linux versions.

VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650
Mobile / Max-Q] (rev a1)

It is fairly recent.

Peter

Re: Nvidia 535 drivers - do not install [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 14:51:43 -0400, you wrote:

>On 7/5/23 13:09, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 12:10:26 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>> My laptop was running NVidia driver version 510. It upgraded itself and
>>> then the external monitor was not recognized. Version 510 is no longer
>>> available and all the other versions that are available do not recognize
>>> the external monitor. Eventually I installed the Nouveau driver. It is
>>> ok for development work on a laptop and the external monitor works fine.
>>>
>>> The NVidia 510 version had various other bugs when I used it - If I
>>> plugged in the external monitor while the laptop was suspended, it
>>> crashed on resuming - that does not happen with he Nouveau driver. Also
>>> it randomly crashed on suspending, I solved that by running xrandr
>>> --output $mon --off for each monitor before suspending and running
>>> xrandr --auto after resuming.
>>>
>>> Peter
>> So what Nvidia card does the laptop use? It is an old one that is no
>> longer supported? If so, then you may only be able to use the Nouveau
>> drivers with current Linux versions.
>
>VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650
>Mobile / Max-Q] (rev a1)
>
>It is fairly recent.
>
>Peter

Yes, a 1650 should be fine. The original 1650 is quite old, but the
Max-Q variants are much newer. There are a lot of variants - you need
to know the PCI ID number to find out exactly which variant it is. To
do that, run lspci -nn. You can find the supported devices for your
drivers here:

/usr/share/doc/nvidia-driver-<version>/html/supportedchips.html

I have found the 530 drivers to be fine, so I would recommend trying
them as a base to work from. Then you might need to create a
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file to get the external monitor to work. I had to
create one with the modelines I wanted in order to get my ancient Sony
TV to use the right modes. There is usually a *lot* of output in the
/var/log/Xorg.<monitor number>.log files, but it is often difficult to
wade through it all and find the helpful bits.