my previous setup didn't have systemd

I created the mythbackendpre.sh mentioned in that wiki entry.

When I went to create the
/etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service.d/override.conf file, it
mentioned that the mythtv-backend.service.d directory didn't exist. Just
being purposefully thick here, I assume I just create that directory and
proceed?

Thanks.
Re: Making sure HDHomeruns are available [ In reply to ]
On 15/03/2023 16:41, Ian Evans wrote:
> Just wanted to check if the instructions found in
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_setup#Failure_after_system_reboot
> are the right ones to be using. First time testing an install on 20.04 as
> my previous setup didn't have systemd
>
> I created the mythbackendpre.sh mentioned in that wiki entry.
>
> When I went to create the
> /etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service.d/override.conf file, it
> mentioned that the mythtv-backend.service.d directory didn't exist. Just
> being purposefully thick here, I assume I just create that directory and
> proceed?

Apparently systemd should do that for you. If you enter:

#systemctl edit mythtv-backend.service

then it does what is required. I think. Using systemd is one of the most obscure, confusing and
irritating activities I have come across in 40+ years of programming/deveolping/<buzzword here>.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Making sure HDHomeruns are available [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 1:04?PM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 15/03/2023 16:41, Ian Evans wrote:
> > Just wanted to check if the instructions found in
> >
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_setup#Failure_after_system_reboot
> > are the right ones to be using. First time testing an install on 20.04 as
> > my previous setup didn't have systemd
> >
> > I created the mythbackendpre.sh mentioned in that wiki entry.
> >
> > When I went to create the
> > /etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service.d/override.conf file, it
> > mentioned that the mythtv-backend.service.d directory didn't exist. Just
> > being purposefully thick here, I assume I just create that directory and
> > proceed?
> >
> Apparently systemd should do that for you. If you enter:
>
> #systemctl edit mythtv-backend.service
>
> then it does what is required. I think. Using systemd is one of the most
> obscure, confusing and
> irritating activities I have come across in 40+ years of
> programming/deveolping/<buzzword here>.

Thanks. Yep, systemd seems fun. With your advice and a small sacrifice I
think I have it working. :-)
Re: Making sure HDHomeruns are available [ In reply to ]
Hi Ian,

I am running 20.04 xubuntu and that folder existed on both my 'live' system with myth v32 and an old laptop with 20.04 and myth v34 development.
Did you use Myth Control Panel to install Myth? I would expect that creating it yourself should work.
Phil

________________________________
Just wanted to check if the instructions found in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_setup#Failure_after_system_reboot are the right ones to be using. First time testing an install on 20.04 as my previous setup didn't have systemd

Re: Making sure HDHomeruns are available [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 17:56:26 +0000, you wrote:
____________________________
> [...]

The systemd override folders /etc/systemd/system/<unit name>.d are not
automatically created unless you use the "systemctl edit <unit name>"
command to create the override file in the directory. Before the
"systemctl edit" command existed, you just created the <unit name>.d
directory manually, and that still works.

How it works is systemd looks for a /etc/systemd/system subdirectory
of the same name as the systemd unit, plus .d. If it finds that
directory, it will load all *.conf files in that directory, in
collating sequence order, and use them as overrides on the original
systemd unit file. If you want to disable an override file without
deleting it, just rename it to something other than *.conf. I usually
rename them to *.conf.not.