One-for-All IR receiver and possibly go through the pain of mapping all the
keycodes again?

Thanks
Re: IR Receiver for 'One-for-All' Universal Remote [ In reply to ]
I'm not sure if the following will help, but here's what I recall from
memory.

I believe that the UK ebay remote referred to was at one time referred
to as a Phillips 5100 4in1 MCE Remote Control. Strangely it is
difficult to find this remote on the web now. I had referred to it in a
Installing Mythbuntu 14.04 tutorial [1] I wrote but the kodi wiki link
in the tutorial no longer displays a page of remote controls.

[1]
https://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-install-mythbuntu1404#add-rc-mapping

If I recall correctly this remote acts like a keyboard and a mouse so is
different than a standard MCE remote with just buttons.

Curtis

Re: IR Receiver for 'One-for-All' Universal Remote [ In reply to ]
On 1/9/23 13:36, David Watkins wrote:
> When I transferred from using analogue decoders to DVB-T I gave up the
> remote control that came with my Hauppauge TV cards and I bought what
> I think was a clone of the Microsoft MCE USB remote.  It looks exactly
> like this one currently on the UK ebay site
> <https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204199835813>  and shows up as a USB
> keyboard to the computer.
>
> I also bought a Harmony remote so I would only need a single remote
> across my Television, BT Box and MythTV.  The Harmony was able to
> reproduce the codes for all three boxes, though I never really got on
> with it, and tended to keep using the MCE remote for MythTV.
>
> Anyway the Harmony remote has just died and I've replaced it with a
> 'One-for-All' URC7145 4-Device Universal Remote which I was really
> liking until I found that I can't get it to mimic the MCE remote.  It
> won't even learn the buttons from it.
>
> Anyone know if there's a way round that, or will I have to buy a
> One-for-All IR receiver and possibly go through the pain of mapping
> all the keycodes again?

I use an MCE IR transceiver with an Intesat INT422-4 4-in-1 remote. It
had an MCE remote as one of the 4 device presets (device C).  I think a
few buttons don't work, but otherwise is fine.
Here is the link on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M4I1BAY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that I also found MCE remotes with IR transceiver and those seem to
work fine.

It would be interesting to know what you end up with and how well it
works/doesn't work.
Re: IR Receiver for 'One-for-All' Universal Remote [ In reply to ]
I recently replaced with MCE IR receiver with a FLIRC IR receiver.
This appears as a USB keyboard. But instead of needing to change all the keybindings in mythtv, the flirc dongle lets you do remapping through some software. So I just had to go through and say the stop button is D, play button is P, this is up arrow, etc, and then it all works as expected.
I'm not sure if this is a better solution, but this was probably easier than getting a MCE usb receiver that I couldn't remap things to and then had to update all the keybindings in mythtv. And even moreso if you run other apps to control on the computer (kodi) requiring updating of keybinding there also.

Re: IR Receiver for 'One-for-All' Universal Remote [ In reply to ]

> I recently replaced with MCE IR receiver with a FLIRC IR receiver.
> This appears as a USB keyboard. But instead of needing to change all the
> keybindings in mythtv, the flirc dongle lets you do remapping through some
> software. So I just had to go through and say the stop button is D, play
> button is P, this is up arrow, etc, and then it all works as expected.
> I'm not sure if this is a better solution, but this was probably easier
> than getting a MCE usb receiver that I couldn't remap things to and then
> had to update all the keybindings in mythtv. And even moreso if you run
> other apps to control on the computer (kodi) requiring updating of
> keybinding there also.

Yeah, FLIRCs are good.
Re: IR Receiver for 'One-for-All' Universal Remote [ In reply to ]
Thanks All,

The FLIRC sounds like a good bet - I'll think I'll be ordering one. Lots
of scope for fiddling.

...and it will get rid of a dangly cable and may even help me reach the
holy grail of being able to turn on my MythTV box on using the remote.