Mailing List Archive

mythtv motherboard
I'm currently running myth on an ASUS a7v8x-x motherboard. It works
pretty well, but there are a couple of problems. First, the PVR-250
does not work in this motherboard (well, it works, but causes hard
freezes). This appears to be due to the VIA chipset. Second, I have had
some kernel panics under heavy network load, which I'm also told can be
caused by the VIA chipset not being well-supported by linux.

So, I am looking for a reasonably cheap replacement for the
motherboard. Myth itself doesn't care about the motherboard, but it's
the only place where all of the different components come together. My
requirements are

1) Onboard audio
2) Onboard LAN
3) PVR-250/ivtv support (without the freezes)
4) Takes an athlon 2600XP+ chip
5) Takes DDR333 ram

I would also like, but do not absolutely require, onboard 1394.

Currently my two candidates would be the ASUS a7n8x and a7n8x-x.

If anyone can let me know of a board that first these conditions and
works well with myth, please let me know. I also have two Bt848
(TV-Wonder + Hauppauge) cards, so if you have experience with that
setup, so much the better.

Thanks,
-Chad
Re: mythtv motherboard [ In reply to ]
What kernel are you running? I just got an A7V8X-X and an Athlon XP (Tbred)
1700+ chip, threw Slack9.0+Kernel2.4.21 and a CVS Myth from 8/10 on it, and
have had zero problems, though I'm just running a BT8x8-based WinTV-fm and
put in a SBLive card since I didn't feel like messing with ALSA at the
moment.

No lockups at all under network load though, I regularly transfer multiple
gigabytes at full speed (6-7MB/sec average) in and out of the thing and it
hasn't hiccupped once.