Mailing List Archive

The good old ivtv nosound issue again
Hi all!

I have been running MythTV for about a month now and I must say I am impressed
with it. It is a bit unstable though. The frontend crashes several times per
day and the backend crashes a couple of times per week. I can live with that
right now. What I can't live with is that my recordings lack sound after
upgrade to the CVS version. The reason for checking out the CVS version was
that I maybe could have a look at the code and fix a couple of bugs.

I have a Hauppauge PVR-250 card.

When I watch live TV everything is fine. I have sound and I can change
channels and still have sound. If I schedule a recording, sound is turned off
when the recording starts. Some manual intervention will fix this

test_ioctl -v input=3,output=1

This is ofcourse not good for unattended recordings.

This worked fine when I was using the 0.10 version of MythTV but the problems
started when I moved to the latest CVS-version. Anyone have a clue if the
code that handles this has been touched ?

Unfortunately I also updated the ivtv driver at the same time. There was a
change in the msp3400 code, but I have not reloded the msp-driver after
upgrading (only the ivtv part) so it should be the old copy running.

Does someone have an idea how to solve this problem ? Is it an ivtv issue
only ? If so, why did it work before ?

Best regards,
Tobias
Re: The good old ivtv nosound issue again [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 12 August 2003 05:53 pm, Tobias Blomberg wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have been running MythTV for about a month now and I must say I am
> impressed with it. It is a bit unstable though. The frontend crashes
> several times per day and the backend crashes a couple of times per week. I
> can live with that right now.

I can't magically fix crashes that don't get reported properly.

> Does someone have an idea how to solve this problem ? Is it an ivtv issue
> only ? If so, why did it work before ?

Yes, it's an ivtv issue. Upgrade fully to current ivtv cvs.

Isaac
RE: The good old ivtv nosound issue again [ In reply to ]
> Unfortunately I also updated the ivtv driver at the same time. There was a
> change in the msp3400 code, but I have not reloded the msp-driver after
> upgrading (only the ivtv part) so it should be the old copy running.

While the msp3400 changes may seem unimportant you should keep in mind that
msp = "Multistandard Sound Processor", very much related to sound. As for
why upgrading just the ivtv portion causes the problem, I think the jerk who
made the msp3400 changes included some notes in the patch he sent in.

Update your msp driver as well, if it doesn't work you should probably post
over on the ivtv list as the sound problem almost certainly has more to do
with the pvr card rather than mythtv.

--
Anduin Withers
Re: The good old ivtv nosound issue again [ In reply to ]
I posted my reply with the wrong "from address" so it got caught by the
mailing list system. I repost it with the correct source address here and add
some info at the end.

----------------------
> > I have been running MythTV for about a month now and I must say I am
> > impressed with it. It is a bit unstable though. The frontend crashes
> > several times per day and the backend crashes a couple of times per week.
> > I can live with that right now.
>
> I can't magically fix crashes that don't get reported properly.

No, ofcourse not. That was not the main issue of this mail. Sorry if it
sounded like that. I thought I'd have a closer look at the crashes first with
gdb to either fix the problem myself or give you a good stack trace to work
with. I then thought it would be best to get the CVS version to get the
latest code to debug. Unfortunately I ran into the sound problem first.

> > Does someone have an idea how to solve this problem ? Is it an ivtv
> > issue only ? If so, why did it work before ?
>
> Yes, it's an ivtv issue. Upgrade fully to current ivtv cvs.

So, nothing related to this has changed in MythTV ? I'm then still confused
why it worked before upgrading to the CVS version. Maybe just bad luck then
;-) I didn't reload the msp-driver on purpose before writing this mail in
case a test against the old driver had been requested. I have already
compiled the latest CVS version of the ivtv driver and will test it right
away. I'll be back...
(Isaac and Anduin). I will now crawl back to where I came from and get back
only when I have something importent to say ;-)

Best regards,
Tobias

Re: The good old ivtv nosound issue again [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, Isaac Richards responded to Tobais Blomber's question:

>> Does someone have an idea how to solve this problem ? Is it an ivtv
>> issue
>> only ? If so, why did it work before ?
>
> Yes, it's an ivtv issue. Upgrade fully to current ivtv cvs.

One thing that might throw you off is a change in the way
/etc/modules.conf (or whatever your distro uses) is set up. A recent
change in the ivtv driver has necessitated a change of the last line of
the module config from "add below..." to "add above...". After
upgrading my drivers recently, I had no sound (except after a channel
change, no good for recording) until I made that change to my module
config. Everything is peachy again.

-jcw