is happening to the WinTV-GO card since the drivers are built into the
kernel. I am using RH9, but I did a kernel recompile, not with another
red hat kernel, so I could install V4L2 and ivtv. I downloaded the
tarball of V4L2 and installed and everything seemed to go fine but all
of my cards have the problem described in 18.15. I am completely
stumped. Please post if you have any ideas.
Thank You,
Colin
Re: Problems with WinTV-GO, PVR-250, and PVR-350 [ In reply to ]
At 08:55 AM 8/12/2003 -0700, Colin Armstrong wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>I am new to this mailing list, but not new to mythtv. I have two HTPCs.
>One at home, where everything is working fine, and one that I am in the
>process of building for work. The HTPC for my work seems to be be having
>some V4L2 problems with all three of my tuner cards, WinTV-GO, PVR-250,
>and PVR-350. The problem is described in the mythtv documentation 18.15.
>I am configuring a card and then I go to the inputs screen and I do not
>see any inputs. I then press enter, and mythtvsetup closes due to a
>segmentation fault. This may be explained for the two PVR cards because
>I had some driver ivtv installation problems but I have no clue why this
>is happening to the WinTV-GO card since the drivers are built into the
>kernel. I am using RH9, but I did a kernel recompile, not with another
>red hat kernel, so I could install V4L2 and ivtv. I downloaded the
>tarball of V4L2 and installed and everything seemed to go fine but all
>of my cards have the problem described in 18.15. I am completely
>stumped. Please post if you have any ideas.

As regard the WInTV-Go card, two possibilities come to mind:

1. While older versions of the WInTV-Go card use a bt878-compatible
chipset, newer ones use a different shipset not supported by bttv (though I
think there is different, **experimental** Linux support for it). If your
card is fairly new -- later than March of this year, say -- it's a good bet
that you've been burned by this bit of slipstreaming. Look through the list
archives for more details.

2. You say "the drivers are built into the kernel". That would be a very
unusual kernel (offhand, I cannot even recall for sure that it is
*possible* to compile bttv and its dependencies into a kernel, rather than
as modules ... and I do know that the *usual* approach to bttv support is
as modules). You might want to clarify what you mean here and make sure
that the kernel really does have bttv support.