Mailing List Archive

Crash on playing transcoded recording - header damaged
I'm running a post-0.10 CVS version of MythTV with a PVR-250. With my
current settings I get around 2.5-3GB/hour, but I'd like to transcode my
shows into a higher compressed format so I can fit more on my machine.

I've got a set of AVISynth/VirtualDub scripts that creates a 640x480 XVID
AVI files that end up being under 500MB/hour. I do this on my windows
machine, since it's very CPU intensive (about 18 hours processing time for
1 hours of video processed on an Athlon XP1800+), plus I don't know of any
Linux equivalents of AVISynth or VirtualDub.

I can play my transcoded shows fine using MythVideo (mplayer). But if I
copy over the original .nuv file so that I can access the show by the
normal MythTV interface, I get a crash. When I select the transcoded show,
the preview window goes green for a second and then mythfrontend crashes.

Looking at the console, I see this:
Input #0, avi, from '/mnt/store/<filename>':
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, 640x480, 29.97 fps, 800kb/s
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 160 kb/s
header damaged
decoding error

Is the problem that the video is in AVI format, rather than NUV? Since
it's able to determine the video and audio formats, I wouldn't think that
is the case.

What could the problem be? Is what I'm trying to do actually possible?
(A sort of "in-place" transcoding)
thanks
-WD
Re: Crash on playing transcoded recording - header damaged [ In reply to ]
On Monday 11 August 2003 01:06 pm, Will Dormann wrote:
> Looking at the console, I see this:
> Input #0, avi, from '/mnt/store/<filename>':
> Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, 640x480, 29.97 fps, 800kb/s
> Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 160 kb/s
> header damaged
> decoding error
>
> Is the problem that the video is in AVI format, rather than NUV? Since
> it's able to determine the video and audio formats, I wouldn't think that
> is the case.

Yup. The decoder really doesn't work for much besides .mpg video. Should be
pretty easy to fix up for other formats, but I haven't seen the need to do
that yet.

Isaac
Re: Crash on playing transcoded recording - headerdamaged [ In reply to ]
At 01:19 PM 8/11/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>> Is the problem that the video is in AVI format, rather than NUV? Since
>> it's able to determine the video and audio formats, I wouldn't think that
>> is the case.
>
>Yup. The decoder really doesn't work for much besides .mpg video. Should
be
>pretty easy to fix up for other formats, but I haven't seen the need to do
>that yet.

OK, then my best bet at this point would be to use MythVideo to play the
shows then? I guess my reasoning for wanting to replace the original NUV
file with the transcoded one was to simplify the interface to watching my
shows. Rather than having to remember if I transcoded a show or not, it
would be pretty transparent to the user. One interface to the shows; some
of them are "live" recordings, while others have been transcoded to save
space.

Would be nice if MythTV could handle this. Especially if it's a "pretty
easy" fix.

thanks.
-WD
Re: Crash on playing transcoded recording - headerdamaged [ In reply to ]
On Monday 11 August 2003 07:18 pm, Will Dormann wrote:
> Would be nice if MythTV could handle this. Especially if it's a "pretty
> easy" fix.

You've got the source.

Isaac
Re: Crash on playing transcoded recording - headerdamaged [ In reply to ]
At 01:19 PM 8/11/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>On Monday 11 August 2003 01:06 pm, Will Dormann wrote:
>> Looking at the console, I see this:
>> Input #0, avi, from '/mnt/store/<filename>':
>> Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, 640x480, 29.97 fps, 800kb/s
>> Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 160 kb/s
>> header damaged
>> decoding error
>>
>> Is the problem that the video is in AVI format, rather than NUV? Since
>> it's able to determine the video and audio formats, I wouldn't think that
>> is the case.
>
>Yup. The decoder really doesn't work for much besides .mpg video. Should
be
>pretty easy to fix up for other formats, but I haven't seen the need to do
>that yet.

After a little experimentation, I'm not sure that this is the case. I
tried copying over another AVI that I happened to have around and it did
indeed work. It was an MSMP4V2 AVI file that I copied over the existing
.NUV file with. So it seems that the problem is not that it's an AVI
file, rather than NUV.

I've tried saving as DivX 5.05 and also XVID but they both crash in the
same manner. Is there a problem with MythTV's libavcodec handling of
recent-version DivX and XVID AVI files? Or is it that because it's
MPEG4, MythTV is making the assumption that it's an NUV-format file? (and
when I attempted MSMP4V2, it knew it wasn't NUV since it's not an option to
record in that format with MythTV)

Thanks.
-WD
Re: Crash on playing transcoded recording -headerdamaged [ In reply to ]
>I've tried saving as DivX 5.05 and also XVID but they both crash in the
>same manner. Is there a problem with MythTV's libavcodec handling of
>recent-version DivX and XVID AVI files? Or is it that because it's
>MPEG4, MythTV is making the assumption that it's an NUV-format file? (and
>when I attempted MSMP4V2, it knew it wasn't NUV since it's not an option to
>record in that format with MythTV)

For testing purposes, I've put up a small transcoded clip. I'm curious as
to what other people will see.
http://dormcam.org/snl_test.avi

The test procedure is:
1) rename an existing .NUV recording file to something else (.bak or whatever)
2) Copy the above AVI file to your MythTV store directory and name it the
same as the original one from step 1.
3) In MythTV's "Play Recordings" section, try playing (or live preview)
that recording which you have replaced.

Does your mythfrontend crash? If not, have you done anything special with
your setup, or are you running a very recent CVS version of MythTV?

mplayer and all my other video apps seem to open the file fine. It's a
pretty standard XVID mpeg4 AVI file.

Thanks in advance if anybody can help me out with this issue.
-WD
Re: Crash on playing transcoded recording -headerdamaged [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 12 August 2003 12:51 am, Will Dormann wrote:
> >I've tried saving as DivX 5.05 and also XVID but they both crash in the
> >same manner. Is there a problem with MythTV's libavcodec handling of
> >recent-version DivX and XVID AVI files? Or is it that because it's
> >MPEG4, MythTV is making the assumption that it's an NUV-format file?
> > (and when I attempted MSMP4V2, it knew it wasn't NUV since it's not an
> > option to record in that format with MythTV)
>
> For testing purposes, I've put up a small transcoded clip. I'm curious as
> to what other people will see.
> http://dormcam.org/snl_test.avi
>
> The test procedure is:
> 1) rename an existing .NUV recording file to something else (.bak or
> whatever) 2) Copy the above AVI file to your MythTV store directory and
> name it the same as the original one from step 1.
> 3) In MythTV's "Play Recordings" section, try playing (or live preview)
> that recording which you have replaced.
>
> Does your mythfrontend crash? If not, have you done anything special with
> your setup, or are you running a very recent CVS version of MythTV?
>
> mplayer and all my other video apps seem to open the file fine. It's a
> pretty standard XVID mpeg4 AVI file.
>
> Thanks in advance if anybody can help me out with this issue.

I already told you what's wrong.

Isaac
Re: Crash on playing transcoded recording-headerdamaged [ In reply to ]
At 01:03 AM 8/12/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I already told you what's wrong.

You said that the decoder pretty much just works with .mpg video. So why
does it work fine with MS MP4V2 video, for example? (no crash)

-WD
Re: Crash on playing transcoded recording-headerdamaged [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 12 August 2003 01:23 am, Will Dormann wrote:
> At 01:03 AM 8/12/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >I already told you what's wrong.
>
> You said that the decoder pretty much just works with .mpg video. So why
> does it work fine with MS MP4V2 video, for example? (no crash)

Because it has extremely limited support for other formats. That's what
'really doesn't work for much besides .mpg video' means. I wrote the code,
I'd think that I'd know what it's capable of.

Isaac