Mailing List Archive

Newbie bow's head and sobs !!
I have spent the last 4 days configuring Myth, and stumbling along
searching through doc's that tend to contradict what each is saying.
Well I got the part below:-

# mysql -u root mysql
mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('ROOT_PWD') WHERE user='root';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
mysql> quit

And have not been able to login to the database since. I have spent the
best part of today (Wife is really annoyed) trying to find a way to
access it. I know I made a typo, but for heavens sake nowhere does it
explain in PLAIN ENGLISH the command... do you type
UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('joebloggs') WHERE user='root'; or
UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('ROOT_PWD') WHERE user='root'; or
UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD joebloggs

May seem simple if you have experience with Linux and SQL, but us poor
mortals have one hell of a time. I also got nowhere with Lirc as all
documentation I found referred to the WinTV-250 and I have a 350, I
copied files from all over the place, and read till my head hurt.

Who was that guy who said we should have a bootable cd that installed
for a standard platform, what a good idea :)

I would really like to know the answer as I have just zapped the drive
and installed windows xp so that I can confirm that all my hardware
works (All new) before I attempt another installation.

I must also say thank's to the people in the email list who have helped
me get this far.

Paul.
Re: Newbie bow's head and sobs !! [ In reply to ]
Try here:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Passwords.html

There is also documentation on how to blow away the password table and
start again (sound like that may come in handy).

Gary