TIA
Steele
http://xtcp.net
Re: Where can I find info about using DVB with MythTV [ In reply to ]
Steele Price wrote:

> I am interested in Free-toAir DVB using a Twinhan 1030 and the BTTV
> drivers. I am still waiting for the Twinhan to arrive but would like
> to read up on what is coming in this direction soon. I've been googling,
> reading archives and docs, but can find much about this other than the
> mention that it is currently in development, but nothing says where...

I'm not familiar with this card, and their website does not give a detailed
spec about the card (www.twinhan.com). Do you know if the card is supported
by the linuxtv.org driver (which dvb in MythTV depends on)?

Or what chip(s) is on the card?

I guess, since you mention bttv, that it should work with MythTV (with some
extra configuration, as a video4linux device).

Kenneth

RE: Where can I find info about using DVB with MythTV [ In reply to ]
I read this and it's a good start...
http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html

Here are the specs for the Twinhan/VisionPlus 1030
http://www.visionplus.com.tw/product_02.html

I also found that there is an updated BTTV patch that supports these cards.
http://ftp.nl.linux.org/linux/bk2patch/linux-2.4/Documentation/video4linux/b
ttv/SCCS/s.Cards

I am looking forward to getting a torroidal system setup with 6 dual LNBs
that will cover every channel I want with no dish movement. specs on these
are here:
http://www.sat-city.com/DSH-WAVEFRONTIER-TOROIDAL/

We have come so far from the TVRO - C band days :)

My only wish now is for the MyHD linux drivers to get going, but after
experimenting with the Twinhan, this may be a moot point if the HDTV signals
come streaming down from sat with the same network channels I am looking for
(ABC for Alias, etc.)

I am still fighting with a few things to get my MythTV setup going in the
first place, I have an ATI Radeon and may have to just trash it from
incompatibilities, I have space requirements (using a shuttle PC) so I need
an integrated AGP capture card and the Twinhan is going in the only
available PCI slot. Also, I haven't figured out which of the 3 remotes I
can use effectively yet, I have USB and Serial variants to select from.

I am planning a total reinstall of the myth family this weekend from source
since the deb files are a little wierd.

There really could be an easier installation system than what is available
now, but c'est la vis, maybe I'll write it and contribute it when I have
some free time.

Steele
http://xtcp.net

Re: Where can I find info about using DVB with MythTV [ In reply to ]
Steele Price wrote:

> I read this and it's a good start...
> http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html

Yes, a good introduction on general dvb, although not mentioning dvb for
MythTV (which is wery fresh). I will be happy to help you though, as I've
got a Hauppauge Nexus-S with Common Interface set up pretty nicely here.

> Here are the specs for the Twinhan/VisionPlus 1030
> http://www.visionplus.com.tw/product_02.html

Yea, about the same as on twinhan.com, no (in depth) details I'm affraid.
I suspect this card is not supported by the linuxtv.org driver :(

> I also found that there is an updated BTTV patch that supports these
cards.

http://ftp.nl.linux.org/linux/bk2patch/linux-2.4/Documentation/video4linux/b
> ttv/SCCS/s.Cards

Yup, then you can follow the HowTO for PVR/V4L cards @ mythtv.org, but you
will have to make some modifications to it (tuning comes to mind).

> I am looking forward to getting a torroidal system setup with 6 dual LNBs
> that will cover every channel I want with no dish movement. specs on
these
> are here:
> http://www.sat-city.com/DSH-WAVEFRONTIER-TOROIDAL/

Looks somewhat like the Force (www.force.tv) dish which gets distibuted in
Norway (where I happily live).

> We have come so far from the TVRO - C band days :)

Good ol' days!

> My only wish now is for the MyHD linux drivers to get going, but after
> experimenting with the Twinhan, this may be a moot point if the HDTV
signals
> come streaming down from sat with the same network channels I am looking
for
> (ABC for Alias, etc.)

I see no problem receiving a HDTV stream from a satelite with the DVB
interface!! :)

> I am still fighting with a few things to get my MythTV setup going in the
> first place, I have an ATI Radeon and may have to just trash it from
> incompatibilities, I have space requirements (using a shuttle PC) so I
need
> an integrated AGP capture card and the Twinhan is going in the only
> available PCI slot. Also, I haven't figured out which of the 3 remotes I
> can use effectively yet, I have USB and Serial variants to select from.
>
> I am planning a total reinstall of the myth family this weekend from
source
> since the deb files are a little wierd.
>
> There really could be an easier installation system than what is available
> now, but c'est la vis, maybe I'll write it and contribute it when I have
> some free time.

Go CVS, most features (and you can join the effort of progress:)

If you have problems setting up MythTV or associated software, post and
we'll answer!

Kenneth

Re: Where can I find info about using DVB with MythTV [ In reply to ]
Kenneth Aafloy wrote:
> Steele Price wrote:
>
> > I read this and it's a good start...
> > http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html
>
> Yes, a good introduction on general dvb, although not mentioning dvb for
> MythTV (which is wery fresh). I will be happy to help you though, as I've
> got a Hauppauge Nexus-S with Common Interface set up pretty nicely here.

Just some recently accuired information:

This post
(http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/vdr/2003/07-2003/msg00232.html) on the
linux-dvb mailinglist, seems to vaguely indicate linuxtv support...

Kenneth

Re: Where can I find info about using DVB with MythTV [ In reply to ]
I saw that link already, but thanks.
I am debating the merits of getting a hardware decoder... the drawback for
me is that the hauppage (all technotrend based cards for that matter)
require the seperate card for CI, I'd have to stuff it in the floppy bay in
a wierd way around the CF slots (I'm using an MSI Mega 651)

but if hardware decoding is of real benefit (I have a P4-1.8) then possibly,
but it's 3 times as expensive for speculative benefit on a somewhat fast
machine. I know, I know, you get what you pay for, but if the decoding is
all software and all I really want to do is stream captures, who cares
right? No real benefit in hardware decoding if you are just capturing,
unless it has some benefit when transcoding multiple streams at once.

This page is somewhat helpful:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/bchafy/dvbpciusa.html

Also, I am not using TV out, but a vga-component video transcoder to an HDTV
so hopefully that can eliminate some of the ATI problems, maybe not, will
find out tomorrow.

Otherwise, I'll be making a trip down to Fry's to get a new capcard.

Steele

Re: Where can I find info about using DVB with MythTV [ In reply to ]
> I saw that link already, but thanks.
> I am debating the merits of getting a hardware decoder... the drawback for
> me is that the hauppage (all technotrend based cards for that matter)
> require the seperate card for CI, I'd have to stuff it in the floppy bay
in
> a wierd way around the CF slots (I'm using an MSI Mega 651)

Myth does not currently have any support for hardware decoding, and I think
it is unlikely that you will be seeing support added imminently.

If this is important to you, and with the right card it also means RGB
output (nice), then have a look at the VDR project.

With a P4 1.8 though you are not going to have ANY problems decoding (until
you get up to HDTV resolutions), so sounds like you can go with one of the
"budget" cards

Ed W