Mailing List Archive

Soon to be New Myth user
Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance if this mail is too newbie for the list, I'm just
looking for more info before I fix my girlfriends PC by removing Win2k and
install linux. ;)

A friend of mine told me about MythTV, after looking into it, I realized I
have most of the hardware needed to implement this in my home.

I'm vaguely familiar with linux, but I do have a pretty extensive
background with PC's and networks. I have installed and messed with linux
(Mandrake, Redhat) a few times, but never really took it too far, for my
work a Windows based OS has always been required.

Can anyone recommend a flavor of linux that would lessen any complications
I may run into? I plan for this project to be an appliance and have no
monitor other than the TV. I may end up with a wireless keyboard and mouse
to have the ability to browse the web while on the couch. I am not against
hooking up a monitor from time to time, but for everyday use, I do not plan
to have a monitor.

My hardware plan is as follows.

MSI kt133 Turbo2 MB (VIA Chipset)
AMD Duron 750
256mb PC133
60gb ATA133
Unknown AGP VGA
ATI TV Wonder PCI
Soundblaster Live! Value with Digital IO

I can upgrade just about any of this hardware as needed. I realize a better
video card will probably be needed, and I am not against the purchase of a
hardware encoder.

Also, is there a recommended remote control interface that I can pick-up
fairly cheap? Again, ease of use is paramount.

Reply off-list if you wish.

Thanks in advance,

Jason Gears
Toledo, Ohio
spider@ohioracing.com
Re: Soon to be New Myth user [ In reply to ]
>My hardware plan is as follows.
>
>MSI kt133 Turbo2 MB (VIA Chipset)
>AMD Duron 750
>
>I can upgrade just about any of this hardware as needed. I realize a better
>video card will probably be needed, and I am not against the purchase of a
>hardware encoder.

That motherboard isn't going to cut it. The KT133 just can't handle the
PCI throughput that a PVR would require. And with a Duron 750, you'll
need a hardware encoder, such as a PVR-250. I have yet to hear from
somebody who has gotten the combination to work without hanging the machine.

-WD
Re: Soon to be New Myth user [ In reply to ]
> >My hardware plan is as follows.
> >
> >MSI kt133 Turbo2 MB (VIA Chipset)
> >AMD Duron 750
> >
> >I can upgrade just about any of this hardware as needed. I realize a
better
> >video card will probably be needed, and I am not against the purchase of
> >hardware encoder.
>
> That motherboard isn't going to cut it. The KT133 just can't handle the
> PCI throughput that a PVR would require. And with a Duron 750, you'll
> need a hardware encoder, such as a PVR-250. I have yet to hear from
> somebody who has gotten the combination to work without hanging the
machine.

This isn't true, the kt133 will be fine (yes, I am using one), tho using a
combination of kt133 with a SBlive is likely to cause the notorious Creative
bug.
And it is true that your Duron won't cope, best bet is to get a hw card,
i.e. a PVR250.
In which case the Duron should suffice (just about), be aware however that
the method for getting an ATI card working for TV-out and Xvideo is not
reccomended for newbies, it involves recompiling X with abandoned GATOS
drivers etc.
Personally I would go for a gf2, I struggled with an ATI for quite a while,
the replacement GF3 was up in ten minutes.

Re: Soon to be New Myth user [ In reply to ]
At 05:48 PM 8/7/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>This isn't true, the kt133 will be fine (yes, I am using one), tho using a
>combination of kt133 with a SBlive is likely to cause the notorious Creative
>bug.

Aside from the numerous reports of the kt133 not working well on the ivtv
mailing list, it's even part of the ivtv FAQ:
http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html#_jump21

But if you're willing to take the risk, then go nuts!
You've been warned.... ;-)

-WD
Re: Soon to be New Myth user [ In reply to ]
Any reason for recommending the gf2, or will any nvidia video card
work? Planned on using the tnt2u I already have, since it tv-outs before
any drivers are loaded (while still in bios). Is that normal? Seemed odd
to me.

RE: Soon to be New Myth user [ In reply to ]

Well, the experience of most people has been that the GF2 "just works".
Until a couple of months ago, the GF4MX didn't have driver support for
overscan (does now). Check the list for what people have to say about the
TNT2 cards; should be fine, but I don't know about overscan/underscan.

Planned on using the tnt2u I already have, since it tv-outs before
> any drivers are loaded (while still in bios). Is that normal?
> Seemed odd
> to me.

AFAIK, this is the norm for NVidia cards with TV-out. At least the GeForce
cards work that way.

-JAC