visiontek ecstacy errors
I am using an Ectasy everything card and can get the card to view tv
using xawtv, however when I try mythtv I get the following errors
repeated:
VIDIOCSYNC0: Invalid argument
VIDIOCSYNC1: Invalid argument

any ideas anyone?

Dave
Re: visiontek ecstacy errors [ In reply to ]
I have two tuners and used to see this error semi-frequently. Usually I
got it when two recorded shows were to start at the same time... (or so
I thought.) I always assumed it was a bttv bug. Essentially I would get
these errors poring out until my /var/log partition was full.
mythbackend would take lots of CPU time and although it kept recording
the lack of available CPU for actual encoding usually resulted in a
messed up file.

Then I noticed that it always seemed to happen when the logrotate script
had run. I deleted the RPM provided logrotate script and I don't think
I've seen it since. (Coincidence? I don't know...)

After all that rambling, are you saying you see these errors as soon as
you fire up mythfrontend and try and watch TV? or as soon as
mythbackend starts? How many tuners do you have? Does this happen
right away or after a while? Can you repeat it at will?

Re: visiontek ecstacy errors [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 07 August 2003 03:40 pm, Aran Cox wrote:
> I have two tuners and used to see this error semi-frequently. Usually I
> got it when two recorded shows were to start at the same time... (or so
> I thought.) I always assumed it was a bttv bug. Essentially I would get
> these errors poring out until my /var/log partition was full.
> mythbackend would take lots of CPU time and although it kept recording
> the lack of available CPU for actual encoding usually resulted in a
> messed up file.

It's basically bttv not being able to get a frame, reporting an error, and
mythtv not dealing with it very gracefully. Current CVS _should_ handle this
quite a bit better.

Isaac
Re: visiontek ecstacy errors [ In reply to ]
Current cvs doesn't work either ???

I get the following errors

channel '0' has no tuner (composite)
VIDIOCMCAPTUREi0: Invalid argument
VIDIOCMCAPTUREi1: Invalid argument

then

VIDIOCSYNC0: Invalid argument
VIDIOCSYNC1: Invalid argument

repeated continuously

Dave

Re: visiontek ecstacy errors [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 07 August 2003 09:16 pm, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Current cvs doesn't work either ???
>
> I get the following errors
>
> channel '0' has no tuner (composite)
> VIDIOCMCAPTUREi0: Invalid argument
> VIDIOCMCAPTUREi1: Invalid argument
>
> then
>
> VIDIOCSYNC0: Invalid argument
> VIDIOCSYNC1: Invalid argument
>

> repeated continuously

I was talking about the error in a different situation. I don't even know if
the rivatv drivers (what you're using, yes?) work properly or not. Most
people use a standalone tuner card.

Isaac
Re: visiontek ecstacy errors [ In reply to ]
Isaac,

The drivers work fine with xawtv ? and yes, I am using the rivatv
drivers.

Dave

Re: visiontek ecstacy errors [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 07 August 2003 09:56 pm, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Isaac,
>
> The drivers work fine with xawtv ? and yes, I am using the rivatv
> drivers.

Working with xawtv doesn't really mean all that much.

Isaac
Re: visiontek ecstacy errors [ In reply to ]
Dave Cramer said:
> Current cvs doesn't work either ???
>
> I get the following errors
>
> channel '0' has no tuner (composite)
> VIDIOCMCAPTUREi0: Invalid argument
> VIDIOCMCAPTUREi1: Invalid argument
>
> then
>
> VIDIOCSYNC0: Invalid argument
> VIDIOCSYNC1: Invalid argument
>

> repeated continuously

Did you try a make distclean? The change is in a library, cvs from last
night had a change that handled it, aborting a recording. CVS from this
afternoon attempts to recover. At the very least after the first 9 you
should see a message that says something to the effect of "Multiple BTTV
errors encountered, futher supressed."
Here's what I think is happening.

The riva module is creating three tuners, only 1 (tv-box) of which
really works, however myth is trying to use all three even though in the
setup I specify which one to use.

Does this make sense?

dave

Re: visiontek ecstacy errors [ In reply to ]
Hmmm.... well, to me it means that the driver works, now I guess the
problem is if it is compatible with mythtv?

dave

Re: visiontek ecstacy errors [ In reply to ]
Actually the current cvs does give me the multiple bttv errors, further
messages supressed message just before outputting an endless stream of

VIDIOCMCAPTURE1: Invalid argument
VIDIOCMCAPTURE0: Invalid argument

Interestingly enough the messages have changed, now I get

VIDIOCMCAPUTUREI0: Invalid argument
VIDIOCMCAPUTUREI1: Invalid argument
VIDIOCSYNC: Invalid argument
VIDIOCMCAPTURE0: Invalid argument
VIDIOCSYNC: Invalid argument
VIDIOCMCAPTURE1: Invalid argument

then the above 4 lines repeated 4 times and the Multiple bttv error
message