Mailing List Archive

[OT] Re: Remote?
I don't recall using my VHS VCR since I got my Tivo.

Option #1 - TV with multiple inputs, I think my big RCA handles 3 plus component
video (Tivo, PS2, VCR, DVD)

Option #2 - Use a A/V Receiver to handle switching.

Option #3 - Daisy chain like you were discussing. This is typically not very
good for quality. If I could only hook up one input to the TV, it would have to
be a Myth box with a DVD player. Hook the VCR up to the the input of the TV
card and encode everything to the harddrive or CD/DVD.

That said, you should be able to have as good a remote as you want working with
Myth, the ones that come with most of the tuner cards are a joke. Look at the
Streamzap remote, build a LIRC serial receiver, or use a programmable remote
with the tuner card IR dongle . . . If you want a button on your remote to do
something, ask if it can be added to Myth. Who knows you might even get
involved in the User Interface part of the code, learn something and contribute
to this project. ;-)

Re: Remote? [ In reply to ]
So the Streamzap remote is a good remote for MythTV? I have some old
remote that works with the serial port (I want to say HP or compaq, but I
forget exactly), but I never used it so I don't know if it's any good.

What about Palm remotes? I know the Palm m100 is next to nothing now
(<$40) so has anyone tried that? I know there's a program for Palms where
you create your own remote interface, problem is the screen is so small so
the touch buttons can't be very big, and without tactile feel it's hard to
determine where the buttons are without looking at the remote.

Still think a programmable remote is the way to go. If I remember
correctly Walmart has some ~$20 remotes that you can program the
buttons: put programmable remote in "learn", point old remote at
programmable remote's IR, press button you want to program on old remote,
press button on new remote to set. Easy, cheap, but how would I tell the
IR receiver to send the signal, or is that even possible??

I'm pretty shocked about the huge lack of information on remotes for MythTV
since the system is only as good as it's input: what good is a OS without
a keyboard and mouse? Really expected several pages of info on the site
and a few responses from the group, but the site covers every aspect of
hardware **except** remotes. What do you guys do, connect corded
keyboards???

And why was this subject changed to "OT"?? If input is off-topic then what
is "on-topic"???

Re: Remote? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 06 August 2003 12:40 am, Chris Kahney wrote:
> So the Streamzap remote is a good remote for MythTV? I have some old
> remote that works with the serial port (I want to say HP or compaq, but I
> forget exactly), but I never used it so I don't know if it's any good.
>
> What about Palm remotes? I know the Palm m100 is next to nothing now
> (<$40) so has anyone tried that? I know there's a program for Palms where
> you create your own remote interface, problem is the screen is so small so
> the touch buttons can't be very big, and without tactile feel it's hard to
> determine where the buttons are without looking at the remote.
>
> Still think a programmable remote is the way to go. If I remember
> correctly Walmart has some ~$20 remotes that you can program the
> buttons: put programmable remote in "learn", point old remote at
> programmable remote's IR, press button you want to program on old remote,
> press button on new remote to set. Easy, cheap, but how would I tell the
> IR receiver to send the signal, or is that even possible??
>
> I'm pretty shocked about the huge lack of information on remotes for MythTV
> since the system is only as good as it's input: what good is a OS without
> a keyboard and mouse? Really expected several pages of info on the site
> and a few responses from the group, but the site covers every aspect of
> hardware **except** remotes. What do you guys do, connect corded
> keyboards???

www.lirc.org.

Isaac
Re: Remote? [ In reply to ]

>www.lirc.org.
>
>Isaac

well that's somewhat helpful, but I'd prefer to hear what remotes others
are using and having good luck with.

The PC remote I have is the Packard Bell Fast Media Remote:
http://www.geocities.com/mixxxen/
cost only a few bucks w/ receiver and it seems LIRC supports it (well,
"Packard Bell receiver", so I hope that's what they're talking
about). Don't think it'd be a good remote though, don't really like the
feel or buttons.

http://www.remotecentral.com has a lot of reviews of programmable
remotes. Think I'll just look around more...
RE: Remote? [ In reply to ]
One of the easiest solutions is to use a good learning remote and a
wireless keyboard to learn from... this way you don't need to deal with
LIRC for your interface.

It's not always easy though... some ir keyboards don't have easy to
learn signals and some remotes have trouble learning from a keyboard.
This has been discussed in the past. www.remotecentral.com has forums
that this topic comes up in time to time.

It's nice to have a wireless keyboard handy anyway, and as a backup to a
lost remote ;-), just kick it under the couch when not in use!

Of course, if your gonna be using lirc anyway to control an external
tuner, then there is no reason not to get/build an ir receiver and use
any remote you have laying around.

Re: Remote? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 06 August 2003 01:25 am, Chris Kahney wrote:
> >www.lirc.org.
> >
> >Isaac
>
> well that's somewhat helpful, but I'd prefer to hear what remotes others
> are using and having good luck with.
>
> The PC remote I have is the Packard Bell Fast Media Remote:
> http://www.geocities.com/mixxxen/
> cost only a few bucks w/ receiver and it seems LIRC supports it (well,
> "Packard Bell receiver", so I hope that's what they're talking
> about). Don't think it'd be a good remote though, don't really like the
> feel or buttons.
>
> http://www.remotecentral.com has a lot of reviews of programmable
> remotes. Think I'll just look around more...

Anything that works with lirc will work. It's entirely your choice. If you
use a generic receiver like the homebrew design on the lirc webpage, or an
irman, you can use any remote you want.

Isaac
RE: Remote? [ In reply to ]
I have the SK-7100 ir keyboard
http://img.neoseeker.com/view.php?pid=1163

I use it with my current "HTPC" running XP. That little joystick on the
right functions as a mouse, and despite looking menacing the keyboard is
surprisingly easy to use, even moving the mouse around, which is nice since
I'm running XP in normal mode, no special software assigning keys,
etc. Top right button is equivalent to holding down the left mouse button,
necessary for drag-n-drop while laying on the couch.

Course I don't use it all the time, I just use the PC for playing divx and
dvds. Don't think I'd like it for my primary remote.

Wonder if LIRC works with the receiver for the SK-7100? Has a little red
LED that lights up whenever it receives a signal, nice to check if
batteries are bad or if a signal is being received.

RE: Remote? [ In reply to ]
I just picked up a sony rm v202 universal remote. It works quite well
with lirc and the button layout is pretty good for use with Myth. It
was $10.

-Chuck
Re: Remote? [ In reply to ]
> > The PC remote I have is the Packard Bell Fast Media Remote:
> > http://www.geocities.com/mixxxen/
> > cost only a few bucks w/ receiver
> Anything that works with lirc will work. It's entirely your choice. If you
> use a generic receiver like the homebrew design on the lirc webpage, or an
> irman, you can use any remote you want.

The Packard Bell receiver matches the homebrew design, so it too can
be used on any remote. The range is a bit lacking compared to other
receivers I've built, though.

-jim
RE: Remote? [ In reply to ]

I don't know about the m100, but I have a Palm IIIe, and the problem is that
the IR port is so weak that you need to be about 3ft directly in front of
the receiver for it to work.

-JAC
RE: Remote? [ In reply to ]
I have the M100, I can verify that, pitiful range.

Jason Ramey
webmaster@permutation.org

Re: Remote? [ In reply to ]
It's considerably more difficult to run both a receiver and a
transmitter with lirc! I know one or
two people have gotten it running, but it's not for the faint of heart.

RE: Remote? [ In reply to ]
My Vx controlled the TV from across the room (~25 ft), which is why I
asked. The m100 came out long after the IIIe, so maybe it has an improved IR.

http://www.pacificneotek.com/range.htm
Palm III 10 ft
Palm V 24 ft
Palm m105 32 ft

of course we all know the m105 is just a m100 with more memory. Those
tests were with a specific receiver, but I'd assume the ratios would be
similar regardless of receiver, so in your case what takes 3 ft for a IIIe
to operate would work with a m100 from nearly 10 ft.

Seems the m100 averages for $30-$40 on ebay. Surprised schools don't buy
them for students, and I don't see many hacks for it, considering it's
cheap, easy to program and uses the serial port, figured there'd be tons of
mp3 playing programs (hook to PC port, use m100 touchscreen as interface)
or other uses.