Mailing List Archive

A noob question regarding hardware req. and hardware codecs
Hi guys. New to the list and MythTV and have a few questions, if you
don't mind.

Here's what I'd like to do with my Freevo or MythTV PVR:

R.1 - Watch live tv while recording another show on another channel
R.2 - Watch live tv while recording the currently viewed show.
R.3 - Pause live tv.

Here's what I have regarding hardware so far:
- ATI Tv-wonder tuner card (w/stereo)
- Geforce 2 with S-video out
- 256 mb ram
- 40 gb harddrive
- CD-RW

Now here's where I'm a little unsure of what to get next. I have a AMD
Athlon XP 2200+ I can throw at this baby, but I'd hate to use my big mean
system for a PVR if I don't have to. My other option is to buy a system
from e-bay, but my $$$ range dictates (based on current prices out there)
that the fastest I'll be able to buy will probably be around a PIII-500
(give or take a 100) Mhz.

Now the questions:

1. Will a 500 Mhz CPU suffice for what I'd like to do, or will I really
have to go with the 2200? I'd like at least regular TV quality video (but
truthfully, it'll probably bug me if I don't have the best ;-))

2. If I buy a hardware encoder like the Haupauge 250 or 350, what sort of
effect will that have on CPU requirements? Assuming a purchase of one of
those cards, what CPU could I get buy with?

3. Do I have to buy a second tuner card to be able to record one channel
while watching live tv on another (See R.1 above)?

4. Can a MythTV system be used for other things (i.e., can I drop out to
an X session), or does the software pretty much need a dedicated machine?

5. Is there any way to get MythTV to communicate with my Comcast digital
cable box so that I can take advantage of the extra channels?

Sorry about the length of my first post. I'm really excited about getting
this thing going and have a lot on my mind. I appreciate any input you
can provide.

Thanks again!

John

John
Re: A noob question regarding hardware req. and hardware codecs [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 05 August 2003 12:32 pm, John Wells wrote:
> 1. Will a 500 Mhz CPU suffice for what I'd like to do, or will I really
> have to go with the 2200? I'd like at least regular TV quality video (but
> truthfully, it'll probably bug me if I don't have the best ;-))

A 500 Mhz machine will not give you 'regular TV quality' with software
encoding.

> 2. If I buy a hardware encoder like the Haupauge 250 or 350, what sort of
> effect will that have on CPU requirements? Assuming a purchase of one of
> those cards, what CPU could I get buy with?

Lower, certainly. All you're doing then is decoding -- if the system can play
back, say, DVDs, it can handle playing back those recordings.

> 3. Do I have to buy a second tuner card to be able to record one channel
> while watching live tv on another (See R.1 above)?

Yes.

> 4. Can a MythTV system be used for other things (i.e., can I drop out to
> an X session), or does the software pretty much need a dedicated machine?

Of course.

> 5. Is there any way to get MythTV to communicate with my Comcast digital
> cable box so that I can take advantage of the extra channels?

Isaac
Re: A noob question regarding hardware req. andhardware codecs [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards said:
> Lower, certainly. All you're doing then is decoding -- if the system can
> play
> back, say, DVDs, it can handle playing back those recordings.

Isaac,

Thanks for the info. Out of curiousity, how much lower are we talking?
Would it be feasible to assume a 200Mhz 96 mb would be sufficient?

Thanks again for your help!

John

Re: A noob question regarding hardware req. andhardware codecs [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 05 August 2003 12:51 pm, John Wells wrote:
> Isaac Richards said:
> > Lower, certainly. All you're doing then is decoding -- if the system can
> > play
> > back, say, DVDs, it can handle playing back those recordings.
>
> Isaac,
>
> Thanks for the info. Out of curiousity, how much lower are we talking?
> Would it be feasible to assume a 200Mhz 96 mb would be sufficient?

Nope. Your hypothetical p3-500 or so should be mostly fine, though. Any
reason why you're not going a little higher? A ~1Ghz duron's only $35 or so,
an XP 1800+ is $50, similar speed celerons are 'bout the same..

Isaac
Re: A noob question regarding hardware req. andhardware codecs [ In reply to ]
Thus spake John Wells:
> Thanks for the info. Out of curiousity, how much lower are we talking?
> Would it be feasible to assume a 200Mhz 96 mb would be sufficient?

I doubt a machine like that could handle the decoding. I've got a
400mhz PII that can't reliably decode MPEG2 without having to drop a
whole lot of frames.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do. - Voltaire
Re: A noob question regarding hardware req. and hardware codecs [ In reply to ]
Pricewatch has Complete Athlon 2000 systems for $195 including shipping,
and 5 vendors selling for under $200. Most only come with 128megs, 20gigs
and integrated everything, but it's a decent system to build up on.

I have some old systems I considered using for mythtv, but with prices so
cheap I'll just spend the extra $$$ and get something I know will work.