Mailing List Archive

Quick note about the configure script and /tmp on Gentoo
Just a quick note about the configure script on Gentoo. As per the gentoo
security howto, I have /tmp as its own partition, and have it mounted
noexec. This means that nothing can be executed inside the /tmp directory. I
edited the variable TMPDIR on line 11 of configure to use /temp (which is
just a dir I made off the root partition).

Changing /tmp to a directory on a normally mounted parition in the configure
script let me configure properly. Just wanted to document this for other
Gentoo security freaks.

Will this break something else? Or is it an acceptable fix? If not, I can
always just remount /tmp without noexec and then re-run configure.

Trey