Mailing List Archive

Not recording anything using CVS (7/30)
Hello all. 1st post here. I have gotten mythtv cvs (7/30) running on gentoo
1.4RC4.

I can watch live tv with no problem, (sound is even in sync). The program
guide works fine too. Whenever I try to record something, nothing happens.
And I mean nothing. Nothing is written to the console, no files are made in
my recordings directory, and myth just keeps right on going as if nothing
were supposed to happen.

The time is set correctly, and the DB filled correctly. I am using the
television input of my bt8xx card, and using dsp1 (digital) for audio.
Pausing TV works great. It restarts and fast forwards/ rewinds just fine.
But both instant recording and scheduled recording do nothing. I have been
led to believe that once it starts recording I shouldn't be able to watch
live tv, since I only have 1 capture card. My recording directory is
/storage/recordings which is an ext3 partition mounted r/w and owned by root
(which mythtv is running as).

Can someone help me out here? I'm not sure what info to post. I can post a
dmesg if that helps? Like I said, everything seems to be working except
recording. Is there a way to have myth produce more verbose logging? Sorry,
if I'm not giving enough info. I'm just not sure what is relevant.

Thanks for a kickass project guys! Myth truly rules, and I am very excited
to have gotten it this far :D

-Trey

Re: Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 31 July 2003 08:46 pm, Trey Stout wrote:
> Can someone help me out here? I'm not sure what info to post. I can post a
> dmesg if that helps? Like I said, everything seems to be working except
> recording. Is there a way to have myth produce more verbose logging? Sorry,
> if I'm not giving enough info. I'm just not sure what is relevant.

mythbackend -v

It'll produce a couple lines of output when it goes to try to record
something.

Isaac
Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
Ok I have since this post gotten CVS from 8/4 working fine. Program guide,
and live tv work great. I still for the life of me cannot get the thing to
record. I can mark shows in the guide, and it just never records them. If I
go to instant record I see a live preview in the window above, and it fills
in the show data perfectly. Whenever I hit start nothing happens. Is it
supposed to go to another screen from there?

When I back out of the instant record screen (after hitting start) I go to
watch recordings and it says sorry, no recordings available.

I logged the output of this using 'mythbackend -v -l /var/log/myth-be.log'.
I then started mythfrontend and went to instant recording. I started a 60
minute recording. Below is the log...

*************** mythbackend log ***************
Starting up as the master server.
Probed: /dev/video0 - Television
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite3
2003-08-05 00:43:06 Verbose mode activated.
2003-08-05 00:43:08 Found changes in the todo list.
2003-08-05 00:43:15 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
2003-08-05 00:43:15 adding: tv as a player 1
2003-08-05 00:43:15 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
2003-08-05 00:43:15 adding: tv as a player 0
2003-08-05 00:43:15 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
2003-08-05 00:43:15 adding: tv as a player 0
2003-08-05 00:43:15 adding: tv as a remote ringbuffer
strange error flushing buffer ...
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2003-08-05 00:43:22 Found changes in the todo list.
*************** end log ***************

It appears that the proper DB entry is being made, but nothing is reading
the DB, or nothing is starting a recording process. Please help! This is the
final step before I have a complete working mythtv setup.

Here is the data from mysql.

mysql> select * from record\G
recordid: 1
type: 1
chanid: 1053
starttime: 22:30:00
startdate: 2003-08-04
endtime: 23:00:00
enddate: 2003-08-04
title: Family Guy
subtitle: Lethal Weapons
martial-arts skills.
category:
profile: 0
rank: 0
autoexpire: 1
maxepisodes: 0
maxnewest: 0
recorddups: 0

I appreciate everyone's help, thanks for such a great project.

Trey

Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
Am I the only one having this trouble? If I can't get help here, are there
other message boards I should try? Everything still works, except recording.
Somebody please help, I'm getting desperate.

-Trey

Re: Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 05 August 2003 06:47 pm, Trey Stout wrote:
> Am I the only one having this trouble? If I can't get help here, are there
> other message boards I should try? Everything still works, except
> recording. Somebody please help, I'm getting desperate.

Well, you provided a log of the backend starting up and running after the only
program that was scheduled to be recorded was already over. I really don't
see how helping you with that is possible.

Isaac
Re: Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:47:07 -0500 spake Trey of:

> Am I the only one having this trouble? If I can't get help here, are there
> other message boards I should try? Everything still works, except recording.
> Somebody please help, I'm getting desperate.

I'm not seeing the same behaviour, but recording isn't working properly for me
either.

I upgraded from Slackware 8.1 to Slackware 9.0 this weekend. Prior to the
upgrade (read: complete reinstall) Myth was working pretty much perfectly.
Now, when I record, the tuner seems to go out of tune. The picture is black &
white and... I don't know to describe how wrong the picture looks. Definitely
looks out of tune. The sound seems to work. The whole program seems to record
this way (but it's unwatchable), and then watching LiveTV doesn't work (same
problem). If I fire up TVTime, the tuning goes back to normal, until the next
time I try to record something.

Was using CVS from last Tuesday before the upgrade, now it's CVS from Sunday.
Kernel went from 2.4.20 to 2.4.21 (maybe the bttv module broke?)

aaron
Re:Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
>Well, you provided a log of the backend starting up and running after the
only
>program that was scheduled to be recorded was already over. I really don't
>see how helping you with that is possible.
>
>Isaac

There were more entries than that one in the DB, I just snipped it for
brevity to illustrate that the DB entries were being made.

Let me try once more. I went into MySQL and deleted all entries in the
record table. I then cleared out my logfile. Here is the log of the
following events. I started mythbackend with 'mythbackend -v -l
/var/log/myth-be.log'. I then started the frontend with 'mythfrontend'. I
went to TV->instand recording. I did not change channels and it filled in
the program data fine. I left it at the default 60 minute settings, and
tabbed down to the start button. When I hit the start button, it stay on the
instant recording screen, and the focus moves back up to the small picture
of live tv. Nothing else happens. When I then go back to watch recordings,
it says no recordings are available.

******************** mythbackend log ********************
Starting up as the master server.
Probed: /dev/video0 - Television
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite3
2003-08-05 20:32:11 Verbose mode activated.
2003-08-05 20:32:13 Found changes in the todo list.
2003-08-05 20:32:20 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
2003-08-05 20:32:20 adding: tv as a player 1
2003-08-05 20:32:20 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
2003-08-05 20:32:20 adding: tv as a player 0
2003-08-05 20:32:20 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
2003-08-05 20:32:20 adding: tv as a player 0
2003-08-05 20:32:21 adding: tv as a remote ringbuffer
audio volume set to '32768'
strange error flushing buffer ...
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2003-08-05 20:32:30 Found changes in the todo list.

************************ end log ************************

After exiting I went to check on the DB...

mysql> use mythconverg;

Database changed
mysql> select * from record\G
recordid: 1
type: 1
chanid: 1057
starttime: 20:32:29
startdate: 2003-08-05
endtime: 21:32:29
enddate: 2003-08-05
title: South Park
subtitle: Jewbilee
camping.
category:
profile: 0
rank: 0
autoexpire: 1
maxepisodes: 0
maxnewest: 0
recorddups: 0
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

So it looks as if the DB entry is being made. And the backend is running
when the recording is supposed to start. Any ideas?

-Trey

Re: Re:Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 05 August 2003 09:42 pm, Trey Stout wrote:
> >Well, you provided a log of the backend starting up and running after the
>
> only
>
> >program that was scheduled to be recorded was already over. I really don't
> >see how helping you with that is possible.
> >
> >Isaac
>
> There were more entries than that one in the DB, I just snipped it for
> brevity to illustrate that the DB entries were being made.
>
> Let me try once more. I went into MySQL and deleted all entries in the
> record table. I then cleared out my logfile. Here is the log of the
> following events. I started mythbackend with 'mythbackend -v -l
> /var/log/myth-be.log'. I then started the frontend with 'mythfrontend'. I
> went to TV->instand recording. I did not change channels and it filled in
> the program data fine. I left it at the default 60 minute settings, and
> tabbed down to the start button. When I hit the start button, it stay on
> the instant recording screen, and the focus moves back up to the small
> picture of live tv. Nothing else happens. When I then go back to watch
> recordings, it says no recordings are available.

Try using the program guide?

Isaac
Re:Re:Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
>Try using the program guide?
>
>Isaac

Same results. It flags the the program with a S. I guess for single record?
I select a program in the future, go to advanced recording options. Select
record only this occurance, and set it to use the livetv profile (which
works great for watching TV).

When the time comes for the show to start, nothing happens in the frontend.
There is a DB entry for the show, but no file is ever created in my
recordings directory (ext3 r/w). Anything else I can try? Is there some way
to manually test the recorder? Does mythbackend do the recording or another
program? Pausing live tv and fast forwardnig rewinding works perfectly.

Thanks for the quick responses!
Trey

Re: Re:Re:Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]

t> Same results. It flags the the program with a S. I guess for single record?
t> I select a program in the future, go to advanced recording options. Select
t> record only this occurance, and set it to use the livetv profile (which
t> works great for watching TV).

What does the backend log say this time?
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj@pacbell.net
Re: Re:Re:Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
I've never emailed to this list before, so I hope it goes in the right
place.

I'm having the same problem as well. LiveTV works great, but when I record,
nothing seems to happen. My video directory is on a separate reiserFS hard
drive on a PCI controller. Here's what I get by just starting the backend:

---
bash-2.05b# mythbackend -v
Starting up as the master server.
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite 0
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite 1
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite 2
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite 3
Probed: /dev/video0 - Tuner 0
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite 4
Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video 0
Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video 1
Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video 2
Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video 3
2003-08-05 23:18:26 Verbose mode activated.
2003-08-05 23:18:28 Found changes in the todo list.
---

Nothing is added when I start mythfrontend and go to the program guide.
It's 11:29p and when I record a program once that is one minute away, this
appears:

---
2003-08-05 23:29:45 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
2003-08-05 23:29:45 adding: lumpix as a player 1
2003-08-05 23:29:45 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
2003-08-05 23:29:45 adding: lumpix as a player 0
2003-08-05 23:29:45 MainServer::HandleAnnounce FileTransfer
2003-08-05 23:29:45 adding: lumpix as a remote file transfer
2003-08-05 23:29:51 Found changes in the todo list.
---

Lumpix is my hostname. It's now 11:35p. Nothing seems to have changed.
The show recorded still has an 'S' on it for single record. I've set
/media/tv as the location for my recorded shows:

---
bash-2.05b# pwd
/media/tv
bash-2.05b# ls -la
total 2
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 104 Aug 1 22:32 .
drwxrwxrwx 21 root root 664 Aug 3 18:19 ..
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 48 Aug 1 23:06 live
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Aug 1 22:32 nfslockfile.lock
---

No file has appeared for the recorded program. I don't know what
nfslockfile.lock is, but I'd imagine it has something to do with me sharing
the drive under Samba. I can create files in the directory as a regular
user no problem (I apologize for the stupid prompt; still configuring Linux
;):

---
bash-2.05b# su - lumpmoose
lumpmoose@lumpix lumpmoose $ cd /media/tv
lumpmoose@lumpix tv $ touch howdy
lumpmoose@lumpix tv $ ls -la
total 2
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 128 Aug 5 23:38 .
drwxrwxrwx 21 root root 664 Aug 3 18:19 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 lumpmoose users 0 Aug 5 23:38 howdy
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 48 Aug 1 23:06 live
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Aug 1 22:32 nfslockfile.lock
---

It's now 12:04a. Nothing has changed in MythTV. There was no indication
that the recording ever started or stopped onscreen, as shown in this image:

http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~lthomas/mythtv.jpg

One line has been added to the mythbackend verbose log at exactly midnight:

---
2003-08-06 00:00:00 Found changes in the todo list.
---

This is similar to what happened the first time I tried to record something.
I set MythTV to record three things over a four-hour period. When I came
back, the program guide had advanced four hours, but each program still had
an 'S' attached and /media/tv was empty, as it still is now. 'Watch
Recordings' said (and says) 'Sorry, No Recordings Available'. Now, if I go
to LiveTV, this stuff appears and my live TV directory starts filling up:

---
2003-08-06 00:15:28 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
2003-08-06 00:15:28 adding: lumpix as a player 0
2003-08-06 00:15:28 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
2003-08-06 00:15:28 adding: lumpix as a player 0
2003-08-06 00:15:28 adding: lumpix as a remote ringbuffer
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
---
bash-2.05b# pwd
/media/tv/live
bash-2.05b# ls -la
total 215093
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 80 Aug 6 00:15 .
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 128 Aug 5 23:38 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 220254144 Aug 6 00:19 ringbuf1.nuv
---

In other words, LiveTV works great. I have an XP 1800 with Gentoo Linux
running the default/vanilla 2.4.21 kernel. I have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250
and in mythsetup it's set to Hardware Encoding and Tuner 0.

Thanks for any help!
Landon Thomas
lumpmoose@karpacrossamerica.com

P.S. If anyone cares, here's the mythfrontend output:

---
bash-2.05b# mythfrontend
connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
Input #0, mpeg, from 'rbuf://127.0.0.1:6543/media/tv/live/ringbuf1.nuv':
Stream #0.0: Video: mpegvideo, 480x480, 29.97 fps, 16000 kb/s
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 384 kb/s
Opening OSS audio device '/dev/dsp'.
Over/underscanning. V: 0.000000, H: 0.000000, XOff: 0, YOff: 0
Using XV port 105
rebuffering (92161 256000)
rebuffering (223233 256000)
rebuffering (174081 256000)
Delaying to next trigger: 201666
Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
Changing from None to None
bash-2.05b#

Re: Re:Re:Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
Run "mythbackend --printsched" after scheduling a few recordings and post
that here. Also include the output of the following sql queries in your
reply as well:

select * from cardinput;
select * from capturecard;
select * from videosource;

> I'm having the same problem as well. LiveTV works great, but when I record,
> nothing seems to happen. My video directory is on a separate reiserFS hard
> drive on a PCI controller. Here's what I get by just starting the backend:

<snip>

> Thanks for any help!
> Landon Thomas
> lumpmoose@karpacrossamerica.com

--

Chris
Re:Re:Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having the probem. I too am using
Gentoo with the default 2.4.21 kernel. Here is my output of the requested
info.

tv recordings # mythbackend --printsched
--- print list start ---
Title Chan ChID StartTime S I C -- C R D S Rank
Total
--- print list end ---

mysql> select * from cardinput\G
cardinputid: 1
cardid: 1
sourceid: 1
inputname: Television
externalcommand:
preference: NULL
shareable: N
tunechan:
startchan: 56
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from capturecard\G
cardid: 1
videodevice: /dev/video0
audiodevice: /dev/dsp
vbidevice: /dev/vbi0
cardtype: V4L
defaultinput: Television
audioratelimit: 32000
hostname: tv
use_ts: NULL
dvb_type: NULL
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from videosource\G
sourceid: 1
name: Cox Cable
xmltvgrabber: tv_grab_na
userid:

I also have never seen a file appear in my recordings directory.

tv recordings # pwd
/storage/recordings
tv recordings # ls -la
total 8
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Jul 31 23:42 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Aug 4 21:49 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 31 17:16 nfslockfile.lock

So is the missing userid field in videosource a problem? Is that supposed to
be a system user id?

Thanks for the help,
Trey

RE: Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]

Sounds like when you reinstalled Myth you may have configured it to use the
wrong cable tuning standard. Go into your backend setup and check your
"Channel Frequency Table" setting (under "General").

-JAC
Re: Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
Hey Trey, are you using MythTV from the Gentoo emerge builds? I am, and
although it's the same version as the latest release, maybe it just doesn't
work.

Here's some extra info after scheduling several recordings:

bash-2.05b# mythbackend --printsched
--- print list start ---
--- print list end ---
bash-2.05b#
---

mysql> use mythconverg

Database changed
mysql> select * from cardinput\G
cardinputid: 3
cardid: 1
sourceid: 1
inputname: Tuner 0
externalcommand:
preference: NULL
shareable: N
tunechan:
startchan: 4
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from capturecard\G
cardid: 1
videodevice: /dev/video0
audiodevice: /dev/dsp
vbidevice: /dev/vbi0
cardtype: MPEG
defaultinput: Tuner 0
audioratelimit: 32000
hostname: lumpix
use_ts: NULL
dvb_type: NULL
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from videosource\G
sourceid: 1
name: cable
xmltvgrabber: tv_grab_na
userid:
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

And I ran 'select * from record\G' like Trey did above, and my scheduled
entries were there:

recordid: 49
type: 1
chanid: 1035
starttime: 14:00:00
startdate: 2003-08-06
endtime: 14:30:00
enddate: 2003-08-06
title: Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers
subtitle: When You Fish Upon a Star
category: Children's
profile: 0
rank: 0
*************************** 2. row ***************************
recordid: 28
type: 1
chanid: 1005
starttime: 20:56:49
startdate: 2003-08-01
endtime: 20:58:49
enddate: 2003-08-01
title: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
subtitle:
``Scenes From a Hat.''
category: Comedy
profile: 0
rank: 0

...etc.

Thanks,
Landon

Re: Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 06 August 2003 10:39 am, Landon Thomas wrote:
> Hey Trey, are you using MythTV from the Gentoo emerge builds? I am, and
> although it's the same version as the latest release, maybe it just doesn't
> work.

Mind adding some debugging to the code? In
programs/mythbackend/scheduler.cpp, starting at line 193, I'd like you to do
this:

recordingList.sort(comp_proginfo());
cout << "start: " << QDateTime::currentDateTime().toString("yyyy-MM-dd
hh:mm:ss") << "\n";
PrintList();
MarkKnownInputs();
PrintList();
MarkConflicts();
PrintList();
PruneList();
PrintList();

and so on, adding a PrintList() after every function it calls until the end of
that if clause. Then, recompile, and run mythbackend -printsched again.

Isaac
Re: Re:Re:Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
Doesn't look like you have any recordings scheduled. Did you schedule any
programs before running "mythbackend --printsched"?

> Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having the probem. I too am using
> Gentoo with the default 2.4.21 kernel. Here is my output of the requested
> info.
>
> tv recordings # mythbackend --printsched
> --- print list start ---
> Title Chan ChID StartTime S I C -- C R D S Rank
> Total
> --- print list end ---

> total 8
> drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Jul 31 23:42 .
> drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Aug 4 21:49 ..
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 31 17:16 nfslockfile.lock

FYI, this file is used by the backends to determine if they are using a shared
nfs directory to store files.

> So is the missing userid field in videosource a problem? Is that supposed to
> be a system user id?

No, it's unused currently I believe.

--

Chris
Re:Re:Re:Re:Not recording anything using CVS (7/30) [ In reply to ]
>Mind adding some debugging to the code? In
>programs/mythbackend/scheduler.cpp, starting at line 193, I'd like you to
do
>this:
>
>recordingList.sort(comp_proginfo());
>cout << "start: " << QDateTime::currentDateTime().toString("yyyy-MM-dd
>hh:mm:ss") << "\n";
>PrintList();
>MarkKnownInputs();
>PrintList();
>MarkConflicts();
>PrintList();
>PruneList();
>PrintList();
>
>and so on, adding a PrintList() after every function it calls until the end
of
>that if clause. Then, recompile, and run mythbackend -printsched again.
>
>Isaac

Isaac, I changed the code to what you said. Adding PrintList() calls all the
way down to the return statement for that function. My C skills are rusty at
best, but it compiled fine and I re-ran 'make install'. I then ran the new
mythbackend binary with the -v flag. I used the frontend to schedule 2 shows
in a row on the same channel. Here are the results...

tv mythbackend # mythbackend --printsched