- Options I have for conversion, i.e., bitrate, compression, resolution,
whatever to experiment with
- is there a way to view the .mpg files ... reading them off of the DVD
discs ... within the mythtv interface?
- and of course a good DVD burning program to burn a DATA dvd disc (NOT dvd
video) under Linux

Thanks in advance!

>>Drew Hearle
Re: Convert to standard MPG files [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Have you tried playing the .nuv files? I think there should be nothing
special about these files, except the extension...

And, if you would go about reencoding them, you would loose a lot of
information in the proccess!!

Kenneth

[NOTE] - MPEG4 (DivX) should be playable in windows from scratch, but
seriously, install some of the other codecs out there (divx.com)...

ElectricianDrew@aol.com wrote:

Hello,
I'd like to take the .NUV files (myth's internal encoder is set to MPEG4
compression) and convert them to regular MPG's for viewing on a Windows box
with Windows Media Player 9. There's a lot of talk about this on the dev
list but I'm having trouble making sense of it all. I would like to know
what options I have as far as bitrate, etc. because I need to fit as much as
possible on a 4.7 GB DVD. "VCD" quality might be OK but I'd like
instructions for a few different levels of quality so that I can play around
with it.

Now, I'm not trying to make the DVD disc playable in a DVD player, I just
want MPG files on a DVD data disc that can be played in Windows Media
Player.

So, this is what I need to know:
- How to convert the NUV files - MPEG4 encoded - to a "standard" .mpg file
for viewing on Windows machines with WMP9.

Re: Convert to standard MPG files [ In reply to ]
So Windows Media Player can play the .NUV files?

I thought they were NuppelVideo (patched version) using the MPEG4 codec
within NuppelVideo. The files will NOT play in Linux Mplayer without the patch, and
only because MPlayer already supports NuppelVideo. I don't think WMP supports
NV.

By the way, I don't know if this is possible, but I don't want to re-encode
the files if necessary. You're right... loss of quality. But I would like to
give it a shot if I'll get smaller filesize because, for my application, loss of
quality may not be a big deal depending on how much is lost.

If possible, though, I would like to just "extract" the MPEG4 stream from the
NUV file and make it into an .mpg (or an AVI?) which would also be MPEG4 - NO
re-encoding.

Hope this makes sense.

>>Drew Hearle

P.S. sorry about the double post under another subject :-P
Re: Convert to standard MPG files [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 26 July 2003 23:06, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have you tried playing the .nuv files? I think there should be nothing
> special about these files, except the extension...

This is only true is you're using a PVR-x50 or other hardware MPEG card, which
he is not judging by the fact that he's using an MPEG-4 (software) encoding.
The MPEG-2 .nuv files produced by the PVR cards are indeed standard MPEG
files with a .nuv extension; the RTjpect, MJPEG or MPEG-4 files produced by
myth's software encoder are in a container format unique to myth. Search the
list archives; there are plenty of threads about how to transcode them into
MS-readable formats.

-JAC

Re: Re: Convert to standard MPG files [ In reply to ]
> If possible, though, I would like to just "extract" the MPEG4 stream
> from the NUV file and make it into an .mpg (or an AVI?) which would
> also be MPEG4 - NO re-encoding.

try it yourself:

mencoder file.nuv -oac copy -ovc copy -o file.avi

that just does a stream copy into a new container (avi in this case).

It doesn't play in windows on any of my machines (I've tried any number
of divx type codecs). Though if you get it to work, please let the rest
of us know which codec you installed to do so.

-Chris

Re: Re: Convert to standard MPG files [ In reply to ]
This technique works for me. Also, everything that I have seen
indicates that you should also use the "-idx" (build index) option of
mencoder (however, this doesn't seem to generate a seekable index for me)

I've also had success with a nice piece of software known as
"avidemux2". Files generated using this software do have a seekable index.

I have played the resulting AVI files back using an open divx codec and
also using a Xvid codec.
Let me know if you need more specific information about the codecs.

Re: Re: Convert to standard MPG files [ In reply to ]
> This technique works for me. Also, everything that I have seen
> indicates that you should also use the "-idx" (build index) option of
> mencoder (however, this doesn't seem to generate a seekable index for me)
>
> I've also had success with a nice piece of software known as
> "avidemux2". Files generated using this software do have a seekable
>
> I have played the resulting AVI files back using an open divx codec and
> also using a Xvid codec.
> Let me know if you need more specific information about the codecs.

Excellent! handy tip, seems to work _much_ better than mencoder for me, i.e.
very good sync, and faster too
and doesn't need patched

Re: Re: Convert to standard MPG files [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 09:03, Mark Edwards wrote:
> > This technique works for me. Also, everything that I have seen
> > indicates that you should also use the "-idx" (build index) option of
> > mencoder (however, this doesn't seem to generate a seekable index for me)
> >
> > I've also had success with a nice piece of software known as
> > "avidemux2". Files generated using this software do have a seekable
> >
> > I have played the resulting AVI files back using an open divx codec and
> > also using a Xvid codec.
> > Let me know if you need more specific information about the codecs.
>
> Excellent! handy tip, seems to work _much_ better than mencoder for me, i.e.
> very good sync, and faster too
> and doesn't need patched

Just complied this avidemux2 and it at first glance appears to be what
I've been looking for to convert my Myth videos. Thanks Matt for point
this out...

Greg