Mailing List Archive

Remote Mythfrontend Problems
I finally got a complete system up and running.
I call the machine media (creative, huh). As far
as I can tell, everyhting works fine when running
Mythfrontend on media.

I have another box named black. When I run
Mythfrontend on Black, connecting to the
Mythbackend on Media, it crashes in various places.
When I say crash, I mean it just disappears. Running
it from gdb doesn't give any extra info, here's
the error:

Error parsing: /usr/local/share/mythtv/themes/PurpleGalaxy/ui.xml
at line: 601 column: 17
tag mismatch
Failed to get selector object.

BTW, This is occurs no matter what theme I'm using.
I can watch live TV on Black. I get the error when
I try to use any of the following:

Program Guide
Program Finder
Fix Conflicts
Watch Recordings
Delete Recordings

My boxes are setup as follows, both are using version 0.10:

media:
ALSA
Working Full Duplex, AFAIK.
Mythbackend
Server setup w/ real IP not 127.0.0.1
MySql
I use this DB for both machines w/ wide open permissions.
I would like to tighten security on the DB, but after I
get everything working.
Mythfrontend
No preblems to report.

Black:
ALSA
Working Full Duplex, AFAIK.
Mythbackend
Not running, used setup to point to Media's IP
MySql
Edited /usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt to point to Media's DB
Mythfrontend
Works in Live Mode, but not w/ anything dealing with reacordings.

Anyone Have any idea what's wrong? I've been searching
the archives for days, to no avail.

-larry
Re: Remote Mythfrontend Problems [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 23 July 2003 04:39 pm, Larry Owen wrote:
> I finally got a complete system up and running.
> I call the machine media (creative, huh). As far
> as I can tell, everyhting works fine when running
> Mythfrontend on media.
>
> I have another box named black. When I run
> Mythfrontend on Black, connecting to the
> Mythbackend on Media, it crashes in various places.
> When I say crash, I mean it just disappears. Running
> it from gdb doesn't give any extra info, here's
> the error:
>
> Error parsing: /usr/local/share/mythtv/themes/PurpleGalaxy/ui.xml
> at line: 601 column: 17
> tag mismatch
> Failed to get selector object.

Really looks like your Qt libraries can't deal with utf-8 data in those theme
.xml files for some reason. I don't know why, or what the resolution to that
would be, though =(

Isaac
Re: Remote Mythfrontend Problems [ In reply to ]
I'm using QT 3.2b. I'm wondering if I should downgrade. Anyone else using 3.2.

-larry

Re: Remote Mythfrontend Problems [ In reply to ]
Larry Owen wrote:
> I'm using QT 3.2b. I'm wondering if I should downgrade. Anyone else using 3.2.

Yep and I have the same problem. A Qt beta issue I guess. A quick and
dirty fix is to delete the troublesome multilanguage lines from the ui
files. However, downgrading to a more stable version of Qt is certainly
a better solution.

regards, Philippe
Re: Remote Mythfrontend Problems [ In reply to ]
I downgraded to 3.1.2

Everything works fine. Thanks for the feedback.

-larry

Re: Remote Mythfrontend Problems [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 23 July 2003 05:00 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > Error parsing: /usr/local/share/mythtv/themes/PurpleGalaxy/ui.xml
> > at line: 601 column: 17
> > tag mismatch
> > Failed to get selector object.
>
> Really looks like your Qt libraries can't deal with utf-8 data in those
> theme .xml files for some reason. I don't know why, or what the resolution
> to that would be, though =(

I have now tracked this down more, as the issue is still there with Qt 3.2.

The problem is that the Spanish and Catalan translations are corrupt. They
are not valid utf-8, and Qt 3.2 has a more complete/strict utf8->unicode
conversion routine. Going to be a major pain to fix things =(

Isaac