waste of money? Will the decoder to be supported soon?

Thanks.
Rob

RE: WinTV PVR Cards [ In reply to ]

Well, IMHO, if your system is beefy enough to handle everything you want to
do without the hardware decoder, then I think the 350 is a waste of money
even if the decoder becomes supported. The only way you'd really benefit
from future decoder support would be if you wanted to add more tuners to the
system and wanted to free up some CPU load currently used by the software
decoding process. Also, a hardware decoder would only be useful in a
frontend machine. The other use for a 350 decoder would be if you
eventually wanted a really small, lightweight, quiet frontend. But there,
the EPIA boards already have an onboard decoder for which Linux (if not
Myth) support is forthcoming.

That's my $.02. Of course, if I were in the position to spend a little
money, I'd be just as likely to say 'screw it!' and buy the 350 anyway, just
to have it, because 'you never know' when something like that might be
useful...

-JAC

Re: WinTV PVR Cards [ In reply to ]
After trying out a WinPVR, I feel like hardware decoding isn't worth the
instability of ivtv.

I'd rather get a couple Athlon XP 1700+, overclock them, SMP hack them,
and build a nice mpeg4 compressing MythTV box.

For info on the Athlon XP 1700+ => Dual Athlon MP 2400+ stuff, go
here:[H]ardForum - 4GHz of SMP CPU Goodness for $300 shipped
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=623190

Re: WinTV PVR Cards [ In reply to ]
At 12:43 PM 7/23/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Anyway, I would like to purchase a video caputre card for this system
>because I think I am going to stick with MythTV. Would I be better off with
>the WinTV PVR 250 or should I go with the PVR 350? I know that the hardware
>decoder in the PVR 350 is not supported so would purchasing this one be a
>waste of money? Will the decoder to be supported soon?

That'd be more of a question for the ivtv mailing list...

-WD
Re: WinTV PVR Cards [ In reply to ]
I've got a virtually silent EPIA box with no fans, and a very quiet Seagate
Barracuda drive with acoustic management enabled. There is no way I could
have a solution this quiet running a Athlon or PentiumIV solution. The EPIA
is way too slow to do software decoding, and doesnt *really* have hardware
decoding capabilities (rather it has "hardware assisted decode" routines -
useless). The decoding on the PVR350 gives a excellent picture, and uses
about 15% CPU on my slow ME6000 EPIA.

I'm currently using WindowsXP because the decoder isn't supported (yet)
under Linux, but I'm hoping that will all change soon. The ivtv guys have
indicated there intention to get the decoder working in their driver.

Re: WinTV PVR Cards [ In reply to ]
Yeah, but the speed of development would suggest they're too busy
watching TV to code.