Mailing List Archive

nforce audio -- no sound from TV
I have an nforce2 board on the Shuttle SN41G2 system. I've gotten the
sound working with no problem for most applications. HOWEVER, I cannot
get any sound out of my Hauppauge WinTV401 (dbx stereo + FM) card.
That same card worked fine running through a soundblaster live card on
my other system. All sound card output works fine on the nforce system
(e.g: mplayer playing .mpgs and .avis, xmms playing mp3s, system
sounds). However anything from an external source (line-in, microphone,
CD audio) does not work. Any ideas on how to fix this?

In order to get around this problem while watching TV, I tried loading
the bttvaudio driver. However, this did not fix the problem (using the
new /dev/dsp1 and /dev/mixer1 did not cause sound to magically start to
come through. I DID try adjusting volumes on the new mixer). On top of
that, it caused the video to delay terribly. It would play about 45sec
for every minute, and after anything from a few seconds to a minute it
would simply lock up and I would have to kill mythfrontend.

Also, although other applications play mp3's fine, mythfrontend plays
them a bit too fast, and makes it sound odd.

I am NOT running ALSA. I am using Mandrake 9.1 presently -- with a
rebuilt kernel to change the SCSI_MULTI_LUN option set to allow for the
use of multi-card flash card readers.

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated. This looks like an
incredible piece of software, and I am already addicted to it although I
haven't heard a lick of sound from the TV and the MP3 system sounds
weird (It looks like I can fix this by disabling SPDIF in the nvaudio
module? I'll try this tonight) Note that the TV image comes up just
fine, so it's not a problem
opening the DSP -- e.g, it doesn't lock up going into TV mode.

Thanks in advance

-lennox
Re: nforce audio -- no sound from TV [ In reply to ]
On July 22, 2003, Lennox Reid sent me the following:
> I have an nforce2 board on the Shuttle SN41G2 system. I've gotten the
> sound working with no problem for most applications. HOWEVER, I cannot
> get any sound out of my Hauppauge WinTV401 (dbx stereo + FM) card.
> That same card worked fine running through a soundblaster live card on
> my other system. All sound card output works fine on the nforce system
> (e.g: mplayer playing .mpgs and .avis, xmms playing mp3s, system
> sounds). However anything from an external source (line-in, microphone,
> CD audio) does not work. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Sounds like your mixer settings might be messed up. Try adjusting them
by hand to see if you can get sound. I suppose you could also try
hooking up the line-out from the tuner card to something else, to make
sure that's pumping out sometihng.

Also, if you're using the in-kernel i810 driver, you might want to try
the nvaudio driver from nvidia instead, or vise versa.

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a22>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+
Re: nforce audio -- no sound from TV [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 23 July 2003 04:05, Lennox Reid wrote:
> I have an nforce2 board on the Shuttle SN41G2 system. I've gotten the
> sound working with no problem for most applications. HOWEVER, I cannot
> get any sound out of my Hauppauge WinTV401 (dbx stereo + FM) card.

I don't think I can help with your no-sound problem in mythtv, although if
other apps work ok it is possible that it is the sound level on the input
which is the problem. Also check that nothing is holding the dsp open (like a
sound server, use 'lsof /dev/dsp' - may need to install lsof first, your
distro should have it)

For your nforce audio - by default it goes into 48kHz mode when the SPDIF
option is enabled - you can pass "spdif_status=0" to the driver when you load
it and it will get set to 44kHz instead.

Martin

Re: nforce audio -- no sound from TV [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 04:49, Martin Cosgrave wrote:

> I don't think I can help with your no-sound problem in mythtv, although if
> other apps work ok it is possible that it is the sound level on the input
> which is the problem. Also check that nothing is holding the dsp open (like a
> sound server, use 'lsof /dev/dsp' - may need to install lsof first, your
> distro should have it)

/dev/dsp is not being held open. I've checked with fuser, and no
program is reported to be using it. Does lsof do basically the same
thing? I'll check on that. Have never used lsof before.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 at 00:54:04 Chip Marshall wrote:

> Sounds like your mixer settings might be messed up. Try adjusting them
> by hand to see if you can get sound. I suppose you could also try
> hooking up the line-out from the tuner card to something else, to make
> sure that's pumping out sometihng.

The mixer settings all look okay -- both for btaudio AND the nforce
audio. I've used aumix AND kmix (aumix doesn't see the btaudio for some
reason). Any other programs to try? Are there any other settings aside
from volue controls I should look at?

The line-out on the WinTV card works properly. I've checked it by
directly connecting it to my stereo system and output is fine. NONE of
the inputs I've checked on the card work properly. Mic, Line-In, or
CD-IN. I've used both the nvaudio and the i810 audio drivers and the
same thing happens for either.

> For your nforce audio - by default it goes into 48kHz mode when the SPDIF
> option is enabled - you can pass "spdif_status=0" to the driver when you load
> it and it will get set to 44kHz instead.

This fixed the squeeky mp3 problem. Thanks!

FYI: some outputs:

nvidia 1671328 10 (autoclean)
nvaudio 39732 0
ac97_codec 12488 0 [nvaudio]
af_packet 14952 1 (autoclean)
sr_mod 16920 0 (autoclean)
nvnet 30752 1 (autoclean)
ohci1394 19048 0 (unused)
ieee1394 45900 0 [ohci1394]
supermount 15296 1 (autoclean)
ide-cd 33824 0
tuner 11744 1 (autoclean)
tvaudio 15068 0 (autoclean) (unused)
msp3400 17804 1 (autoclean)
bttv 78496 0
videodev 7872 3 [bttv]
i2c-algo-bit 9064 1 [bttv]
i2c-core 21192 0 [tuner tvaudio msp3400 bttv
i2c-algo-bit]
soundcore 6276 0 [nvaudio bttv]
cdrom 31648 0 [sr_mod ide-cd]
ide-scsi 11280 0
sd_mod 13100 0
scsimon 9312 0 (unused)
usb-storage 72952 0
scsi_mod 103284 5 [sr_mod ide-scsi sd_mod scsimon
usb-storage]
usb-ohci 20584 0 (unused)
usbcore 72992 1 [usb-storage usb-ohci]
rtc 8060 0 (autoclean)
ext3 59916 2
jbd 38972 2 [ext3]

probeall scsi_hostadapter usb-storage ide-scsi
probeall usb-interface usb-ohci
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias sound-slot-0 nvaudio
alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia
alias eth0 nvnet
alias sound-slot-1 nvaudio
options i810_audio spdif_locked=1
Re: nforce audio -- no sound from TV [ In reply to ]
Lennox Reid wrote:

> The mixer settings all look okay -- both for btaudio AND the nforce
> audio. I've used aumix AND kmix (aumix doesn't see the btaudio for some
> reason). Any other programs to try? Are there any other settings aside
> from volue controls I should look at?

Maybe something in this post helps you:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=55962

I also have this box, and it is indeed working great for me. Audio in from a
Hauppauge Nexus-S to cd-in. I had to solder a cable myself though, since I
didn't have one with the two types of connectors. Working great both with
nvidia and i810_audio drivers.

Note: The drivers for my nexus card does not mess with audio devices as the
bttv seems to be doing.

Kenneth

Re: nforce audio -- no sound from TV [ In reply to ]
Thanks to all for your assistance. Got the problem fixed. The CD
connection had come loose, which was why CD audio wasn't working. I did
not realize that the top connector on the Shuttle board was NOT line in,
but center/Bass out. Since I have a winTV401 board, I have a CD-Audio
Out jack on my board, so I connected this to the CD in jack on the Mobo
temporarily and the system seems to work quite well.

I have noticed audio isn't all that clean, though. Any recommendations
on that? It sounds a little spikey. I turned SPDIF off in the driver
so that the frequency could be changed, and that helped a little. But
not alot. Any other recommendations?

Already love it, and I am only on antenna. Cable guy is coming
tomorrow, which will hopefully fix the color problems.

Crossing my fingers for a spectacular experience with MythTV!

Thanks again!

Ciao

-lR