Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Re: mpeg2 playback glitches [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 24 July 2003 02:10 pm, Curtis Stanford wrote:
> OK, I've just tried all 3 of these options, each independently and all
> together. Doesn't help with the glitches. I'm more and more convinced they
> are part of the original recording. If I see a glitch and back up 5 seconds
> the glitch appears again in the exact same place so I don't think it's a
> playback problem. More of a recording problem. I've seen references to
> problems with the PVR-250 firmware or something. It may warrant a posting
> to the ivtv mailing list.

As I've been trying to point out throughout this entire thread, and which
absolutely no one seems to be reading, is that you all are talking about two
entirely different problems.

Isaac
Re: Re: mpeg2 playback glitches [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 02:19:21PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Thursday 24 July 2003 02:10 pm, Curtis Stanford wrote:
> > OK, I've just tried all 3 of these options, each independently and all
> > together. Doesn't help with the glitches. I'm more and more convinced they
> > are part of the original recording. If I see a glitch and back up 5 seconds
> > the glitch appears again in the exact same place so I don't think it's a
> > playback problem. More of a recording problem. I've seen references to
> > problems with the PVR-250 firmware or something. It may warrant a posting
> > to the ivtv mailing list.
>
> As I've been trying to point out throughout this entire thread, and which
> absolutely no one seems to be reading, is that you all are talking about two
> entirely different problems.

Yes, and in the spirit of resetting the discussion, would you be willing to
(re)summarize your ideas? It is pretty obvious the discussion missed the
salient points. How about starting over for Curtis?

Russ
Re: Re: mpeg2 playback glitches [ In reply to ]
That's why I was trying to draw it back to the original issue. I've been
reading the ivtv-devel list and see references to an error I've been getting:
"Not enough free buffers". I don't know if that's the problem but it's a
start.

Re: Re: mpeg2 playback glitches [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:44:14PM -0600, Curtis Stanford wrote:
> That's why I was trying to draw it back to the original issue. I've been
> reading the ivtv-devel list and see references to an error I've been getting:
> "Not enough free buffers". I don't know if that's the problem but it's a
> start.

OK. I can help with this one. Add an option to /etc/modules.conf:
options ivtv debug=1 mpg_buffers=100

Reload the module and see if you get fewer of these errors. It could be the
"glitches" are dropped frames. This setting could help.

I have two PVR-250's and had to make a different change to eliminate these
warnings altogether, but this should be enough for one card.

Russ

P.S. In case you need even more than 100, change the maximum by looking in
ivtv-driver.c for a line like this:

if ((mpg_buffers > 100) || (mpg_buffers < 15)) {

and change the 100 to a bigger number.
Re: Re: mpeg2 playback glitches [ In reply to ]
OK, done. I'll report on the results.

Re: mpeg2 playback glitches [ In reply to ]
Then perhaps we need a definitive definition (redundant, I know). of the
difference between the two problems you mention.

Seems to me that his problem and mine are similar
Neither (his nor mine) respond to any of the frontend settings mentioned.
Both can be seen as playback problems -- his glitches repetitively in the
same place, mine glitches when played back in MS Windows.

I realize there is another problem, regarding synching the playback to the
vertical sync, but you claim that this problem is fixed with the frontend
settings. And by your descriptioin of the fix, the problem sounds as though
it should not be exhibited when the file is played back in a different
environment (MS).

Is this correct?

sjf
At 11:40 7/24/2003, you wrote:

>On Thursday 24 July 2003 02:10 pm, Curtis Stanford wrote:
> > OK, I've just tried all 3 of these options, each independently and all
> > together. Doesn't help with the glitches. I'm more and more convinced they
> > are part of the original recording. If I see a glitch and back up 5 seconds
> > the glitch appears again in the exact same place so I don't think it's a
> > playback problem. More of a recording problem. I've seen references to
> > problems with the PVR-250 firmware or something. It may warrant a posting
> > to the ivtv mailing list.
>
>As I've been trying to point out throughout this entire thread, and which
>absolutely no one seems to be reading, is that you all are talking about two
>entirely different problems.
>
>Isaac

Steven J. Finnegan, President
Controlsoft Corporation
Phone: (760) 747-5632
WebSite: www.controlsoftcorp.com
E-mail: sjf@controlsoftcorp.com

Re: Re: mpeg2 playback glitches [ In reply to ]
You da man! That seems to have solved the problem (at least through several
hours of viewing so far...)

Re: Re: mpeg2 playback glitches [ In reply to ]
OK, spoke too soon again. The "Not enough free buffers" message has
disappeared but the glitches have not. The weird thing is that it seems worse
on some channels than others. Must be a different problem.