Mailing List Archive

Re: trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend
> > With that little space left, you are probably into the area reserved for
> > root, making it difficult for any app that runs under a non-root userid
> > to create files. Since Myth needs to create rather large files ... video
>
> not true so. I use the system normally as a regular (non-root) user.

It doesn't matter which user you normally use -- ext2 and ext3 filesystems
both reserve some space for the root user (5% of the capacity is the
default, if memory serves). You can adjust eliminate this by running (as
root)

tune2fs -m 0 {device}

...where {device} is the /dev entry for your partition, for example
/dev/hda1 (check your /etc/fstab if you don't know what it is).

--Kevin Lenth
Re: trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend [ In reply to ]
Kevin D. Lenth wrote:
> It doesn't matter which user you normally use -- ext2 and ext3 filesystems
> both reserve some space for the root user (5% of the capacity is the

thanks for pointing this out. of course, there might be members of this
list that are not aware of general Linux file system administration
issues, but I'm not one of them. by this line:

> not true so. I use the system normally as a regular (non-root) user.

I was just saying that there is enough space on the disk so that a
regular (non-root) user can create files. thus, the reason for mythtv
crashing is not that there isn't enough disk space.

I thought the mythtv mailing list would focus more on mythtv itself, not
on general Linux issues.

Akos

Re: trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend [ In reply to ]
At 09:51 AM 7/21/2003 +0200, Akos Maroy wrote:
[...]
>I thought the mythtv mailing list would focus more on mythtv itself, not
>on general Linux issues.

It would be nice it if could. In practice, it "focuses" on what is needed
to get beginners ... to Myth, often to Linux, and sometimes to the very
idea of digitized video recording ... to the point where they have working
systems. Since we are not the Psychic Friends Network, we don't know how
much a new-to-the-list poster knows about general issues. Not surprisingly,
then, we will not assume a perfect knowledge of how Linux works and suggest
system-level solutions if they seem indicated by the problem description
(the vaguer the description ... and your *initial* posting was about as
vague as they come ... the more likely someone will start with system-level
suggestions and questions).

OK, you want a response with a "focus more on mythtv itself", and one that
assumes you are knowledgeable about Linux, so here it is.

Run a backtrace and report the results (assuming that looking at it does
not make the answer obvious to you without help) so we can see *what*
causes the segfaults you reported.

Or search the list archive for other threads that report problems similar
to yours and see if any of the suggested solutions there fit the bill.

Next, in these messages --

>2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 1
>2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 0
>2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 0
>2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a remote ringbuffer

-- does "destroy" have some special local meaning (e.g., is it a hostname?)
or is this part of the basic message text? (I ask because I've never seen a
similar message on my systems, and I'm particularly puzzled by the "remote
ringbuffer" part.)

Next, have you been able to *record* video for later viewing? I ask because
you report some STDERR results about selecting "watch recordings", but I do
not know from your report (a) if there is anything to watch, (b) if the
observed symptom (black screen) is the same here as with "live" TV, or (c)
if the symptom occurs when Myth tries to display the file directory or only
after you select a file to play.

Next, I recall your also posting a message about problems with grabbing
listings for Hungarian TV. Specifically, you say --

>One problem was that I the video source, I could not set up tv_grab_hu as
>the listings grabber, as it was missing as an option. So I set it to Germany.

How did you fill the database for purposes of these tests -- does the
German download source really provide TV listings for your locale and
provider? -- and are the entries for channels and frequencies an exact
match to the ones in /etc/X11/xawtvrc (or its RH equivalent, if RH keeps
the file in a different location than Debian uses)?

Bottom line: I infer from the lack of response from others here (more
exactly, the lack of the Myth-specific responses you want) that nobody
recognizes an "obvious" Myth problem from your descriptions. That means
taking it to the next level, which involves (a) your supplying a backtrace
and (b) your looking more closely at the details of how you set up Myth to
see if you introduced an error that we are not thinking of.

Re: trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend [ In reply to ]
On Monday 21 July 2003 10:52 am, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> Next, in these messages --
>
> >2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 1
> >2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 0
> >2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 0
> >2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a remote ringbuffer
>
> -- does "destroy" have some special local meaning (e.g., is it a hostname?)
> or is this part of the basic message text? (I ask because I've never seen a
> similar message on my systems, and I'm particularly puzzled by the "remote
> ringbuffer" part.)

That shows up every single time you go into live tv mode.

Isaac
Re: trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend [ In reply to ]
At 11:10 AM 7/21/2003 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
>On Monday 21 July 2003 10:52 am, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> > Next, in these messages --
> >
> > >2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 1
> > >2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 0
> > >2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 0
> > >2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a remote ringbuffer
> >
> > -- does "destroy" have some special local meaning (e.g., is it a hostname?)
> > or is this part of the basic message text? (I ask because I've never seen a
> > similar message on my systems, and I'm particularly puzzled by the "remote
> > ringbuffer" part.)
>
>That shows up every single time you go into live tv mode.

Hmmm. Don't know how I've missed that.

As long as you're reading this thread, Isaac, a quick question -- how does
Myth handle allocating "live" buffer filespace? Does it check at the outset
to verify that there is enough space on the filesystem for the specified
buffer size (and even reserve it, perhaps), or does it just proceed on the
assumption that it will not run out of available space before hitting the
specified maximum buffer size? In whichever case applies, how does it
respond if it cannot get buffer space it needs?

Re: trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend [ In reply to ]
On Monday 21 July 2003 11:23 am, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> As long as you're reading this thread, Isaac, a quick question -- how does
> Myth handle allocating "live" buffer filespace? Does it check at the outset
> to verify that there is enough space on the filesystem for the specified
> buffer size (and even reserve it, perhaps), or does it just proceed on the
> assumption that it will not run out of available space before hitting the
> specified maximum buffer size? In whichever case applies, how does it
> respond if it cannot get buffer space it needs?

It allocates it on the fly. Live-tv would work until the filesystem filled
up. Not really sure what would happen then.

Isaac
Re: trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend [ In reply to ]
Ray Olszewski wrote:
> have working systems. Since we are not the Psychic Friends Network, we
> don't know how much a new-to-the-list poster knows about general issues.

fair enough :)

> Run a backtrace and report the results (assuming that looking at it does
> not make the answer obvious to you without help) so we can see *what*
> causes the segfaults you reported.

OK. I'll do it tonight...

> Or search the list archive for other threads that report problems
> similar to yours and see if any of the suggested solutions there fit the
> bill.

I was looking, but only found that hint about using ALSA instead of OSS
audio drivers (quite strange effect, though)

> Next, in these messages --
>
>> 2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 1
>> 2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 0
>> 2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 0
>> 2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a remote ringbuffer
>

> -- does "destroy" have some special local meaning (e.g., is it a
> hostname?) or is this part of the basic message text? (I ask because

yes, it's my host name.

> Next, have you been able to *record* video for later viewing? I ask

no. basically I just pressed on the "Watch TV" button, and then on the
"Watch Recordings" button.

> because you report some STDERR results about selecting "watch
> recordings", but I do not know from your report (a) if there is anything
> to watch, (b) if the observed symptom (black screen) is the same here as
> with "live" TV, or (c) if the symptom occurs when Myth tries to display
> the file directory or only after you select a file to play.

a) no, nothing to watch (no *.avi files in the store directory)
b) no, when pressing "Watch Recordings", I immediately get a segfault
c) no, the segfault comes right after I press "Watch Recordings"

> Next, I recall your also posting a message about problems with grabbing
> listings for Hungarian TV. Specifically, you say --
>
>> One problem was that I the video source, I could not set up tv_grab_hu
>> as the listings grabber, as it was missing as an option. So I set it
>> to Germany.
>

> How did you fill the database for purposes of these tests -- does the
> German download source really provide TV listings for your locale and
> provider? -- and are the entries for channels and frequencies an exact

I don't know / I don't think so

> match to the ones in /etc/X11/xawtvrc (or its RH equivalent, if RH keeps
> the file in a different location than Debian uses)?

no, I don't know how to import those entries. but when I press on "Watch
TV", the tuner card gets tuned to a TV channel (and the audio from that
channel is audible, as comes from the tuner card). also, after killink
mythfrontend and starting xawtv, it will display that very channel
mythfrontend tuned to. Also, I can only kill the audio by starting and
then quitting xawtv. to me, it seems that mythtv tunes into some (valid)
channel, but failes to display the visual content.

> Bottom line: I infer from the lack of response from others here (more
> exactly, the lack of the Myth-specific responses you want) that nobody
> recognizes an "obvious" Myth problem from your descriptions. That means

sad to hear. it is strange though that during these three days two other
people reported the same problem (no visuals when pressing "Watch TV").
but than again, we might have the same non-MythTv specific issue :)

> taking it to the next level, which involves (a) your supplying a
> backtrace and (b) your looking more closely at the details of how you
> set up Myth to see if you introduced an error that we are not thinking of.

I'll do my best, and send the backtrace as soon as I can produce it.

Akos

Re: trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards wrote:
> It allocates it on the fly. Live-tv would work until the filesystem filled
> up. Not really sure what would happen then.

This issue is clear then. As there is some user-disk-space still
available, at least I should get to start watching TV through MythTV,
then crash because of lack of space...

Re: trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend [ In reply to ]
For the most part, we need to wait until you do the required testing. I did
want to clarify two small matters.

At 09:17 AM 7/22/2003 +0200, Akos Maroy wrote:
[...]
>>match to the ones in /etc/X11/xawtvrc (or its RH equivalent, if RH keeps
>>the file in a different location than Debian uses)?
>
>no, I don't know how to import those entries. but when I press on "Watch
>TV", the tuner card gets tuned to a TV channel (and the audio from that
>channel is audible, as comes from the tuner card). also, after killink
>mythfrontend and starting xawtv, it will display that very channel
>mythfrontend tuned to. Also, I can only kill the audio by starting and
>then quitting xawtv. to me, it seems that mythtv tunes into some (valid)
>channel, but failes to display the visual content.

Well ... *nearly" some (valid) channel, anyway. If the frequencies are just
a bit off, the vidcap card might get passable audio but no interpretable
video ... like back in the (very) old days of TVs, when you tuned them the
way you still tune dial radios, before AFT made it easy to hit the exact
frequency.

Also ... a real wild guess here ... I assume Hungary is a PAL country, but
might Myth be mis-set to default to NTSC?

>>Bottom line: I infer from the lack of response from others here (more
>>exactly, the lack of the Myth-specific responses you want) that nobody
>>recognizes an "obvious" Myth problem from your descriptions. That means
>
>sad to hear. it is strange though that during these three days two other
>people reported the same problem (no visuals when pressing "Watch TV").
>but than again, we might have the same non-MythTv specific issue :)

Or you all may have unrelated issues ... either Myth, non-Myth, or a mix of
the two. "TV doesn't display properly" is among the most common problems
encountered by newcomers, and depending on the details, it can be caused by:

1. hardware driver (bttv or ivtv or whatever) problems.

2. hardware setting errors (wrong frequency table, NTSC v. PAL, wrong tuner
type, etc.).

3. X problems (usually with XV).

4. Audio problems.

5. Permissions problems (that prevent Myth from creating the ringbuffer,
for example).

And probably a lot of other things. That's why I described your first
message as "about as vague as they come" or words to that effect. The
problem description comes up a lot (not just in the last two days, but in
any week you'd choose to review) not because there is some single, big-deal
problem with Myth, but because it is the most apparent symptom of many
*different* underlying problems.
[...]