box looks more "professional/commercial" while linux is booting? I saw
one mentioned a few months ago but it doesn't seem to be supported by
its developers any more. It would really look cool if a mythtv bootup
screen was displayed as soon as the kernel started to load and hide all
of the kernel messages.

The one I tried before was The Linux Progress Patch (its on
sourceforge.net). I doesn't look like it been updated for over a year.
Does any one have this running under 2.4.21?

Re: Boot up screen for kernel? [ In reply to ]
I've been fighting with bootsplash(.org) on my redhat box for the past
day and a half. Either its retarded, or I am.

Hopefully I'll figure out which and solve the problem. It looks more
mature than LPP anyway.

Brian

Re:Boot up screen for kernel? [ In reply to ]
Good luck brian, report back if you find anything :)

Re: Boot up screen for kernel? [ In reply to ]
> Does any one know of a working bootup screen for the kernel so a mythtv
> box looks more "professional/commercial" while linux is booting? I saw
> one mentioned a few months ago but it doesn't seem to be supported by
> its developers any more. It would really look cool if a mythtv bootup
> screen was displayed as soon as the kernel started to load and hide all
> of the kernel messages.
>
> The one I tried before was The Linux Progress Patch (its on
> sourceforge.net). I doesn't look like it been updated for over a year.
> Does any one have this running under 2.4.21?

I've got lpp running under 2.4.21 -- I had to apply the patch for
2.4.20, which I got from the debian package kernel-patch-lpp but I
assume its also available elsewhere. It patched fine and worked as soon
as I'd changed the vga= line in my lilo.conf. Only problem I have now
is that my GeForce card TV-out starts in NTSC mode and I have a PAL TV,
but never mind.

--
Adam
adam@meliorist.co.uk

RE: Boot up screen for kernel? [ In reply to ]

I thought I read somewhere that LPP was going to be incorporated into the
2.6 kernel, which might explain why the project hasn't seen any updates (if
it's in the 2.5/2.6 kernel tree). Of course, I might be mis-remembering...

-JAC

Re: Boot up screen for kernel? [ In reply to ]
The bootsplash.org stuff is easier to work with, more extensible, and
does not require a kernel re-compile to change the image (though you
*do* have to compile support for the patch into the kernel!) Follow the
instructions *carefully* on their web page - there's a couple of steps
that are easy to overlook. Contact me offline if you get stuck.

== Steve

RE: Boot up screen for kernel? [ In reply to ]
> I thought I read somewhere that LPP was going to be incorporated into the
> 2.6 kernel, which might explain why the project hasn't seen any updates (if
> it's in the 2.5/2.6 kernel tree). Of course, I might be mis-remembering...

If it was planned, I don't think it got very far. Neither LPP nor
bootsplash has been ported to 2.5/2.6 *yet*; I do know that the
Bootsplash folks are working on the port, LPP is strangely quiet on the
subject.

Given Linus' rather public dislike for all things fb (see
http://lists.insecure.org/linux-kernel/2001/Dec/6808.html for example),
I don't see this being added to the standard kernel any time soon.

Of course, I could be wrong... <g> I'd love to not have to patch the
kernel to get this functionality.

I'll be waiting anxiously for bootsplash to be ported to 2.6; the new
kernel has much better support for my Pundit.

BTW, found this as an alternative approach while doing some digging:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=718

== Steve