I'm gathering my parts and getting excited, but as a DirecTV customer,
was wondering - it sounds like I'm limited to just a single channel
input at a time, coming out of the RCA DRD430RG receiver. I see where I
can cobble a serial cable to change channels, but I'm guessing I don't
need a TV Tuner card, just a capture card with this?

Thanks from a noob....
--
Chris Hoelscher <mohoelx@sbcglobal.net>

Re: DirecTV - only one channel at a time? [ In reply to ]
I would like to know the same thing .. but doesn't a capture card cost the same as
a tuner card anyway?

Chris Hoelscher (mohoelx@sbcglobal.net) wrote:

>I'm gathering my parts and getting excited, but as a DirecTV customer,
>was wondering - it sounds like I'm limited to just a single channel
>input at a time, coming out of the RCA DRD430RG receiver. I see where I
>can cobble a serial cable to change channels, but I'm guessing I don't
>need a TV Tuner card, just a capture card with this?
>
>Thanks from a noob....

Brian Johnson
* This is where my witty signature line would be if I bothered to edit this line :) *

Re: DirecTV - only one channel at a time? [ In reply to ]
You will need a capture card with the appropriate inputs that you want to capture from your receiver. In my case I have DirecTV and I bought a WinTV dbx 401 capture card with tuner, and Svideo in so that I can take advantage of my Hughes Svideo out. If you are in the market for buying a capture card you will figure out most come with a tuner and as a linux buyer you should be extra careful to buy one that is compatible. Basicaly no ATI's like All in Wonders, except for the TV Wonder/VE (I also have one of those). If your wondering the best place to get one cheap, I bought my WinTV dbx card on ebay, OEM for $28, brand new! So obviously you will only be able to capture one channel at a time, as your receiver can only lock onto one at a time. However myth has the ability to record from multiple inputs if you ever provide more than one, I might have to look into this in the future. If your lucky you can use a serial connection with some scripts to change the channel, or like me you can get some parts and build your own IR transmitter and receiver. The hardware went good for me, even though the parts really weren't exact the receiver worked the first time. The transmitter had tons of problems with lirc in Mandrake, but after I figured that out (as others have posted on this board) it worked. So I'm happy now, and won't touch anything major lol in hopes of not messin it up. Hope this helps,! Chris

Add photos to your e-mail with http://g.msn.com/8HMYENUS/2746??PS="]MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.
Re: DirecTV - only one channel at a time? [ In reply to ]
Correct

--
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand
binary and those that don't"