Mailing List Archive

I guess I don't understand...
How does MythTV control my digital cable box to select channels.. or does
it not need to? Or does it replace it?

Thanks

Kevin

Re: I guess I don't understand... [ In reply to ]
--- kevin@joubert.com wrote:
> How does MythTV control my digital cable box to
> select channels.. or does
> it not need to? Or does it replace it?

You will need to use an IR Blaster (IR transmitter) to
change the channel, via LIRC. There are no tuner
cards that will work with "digital" cable. So, you
will not be able to replace the cable box.

<OT>I've started looking at the IR Blaster (homebrew)
but haven't had time to get into it. I think I'm
ready to just buy one. Anyone know of a IR Blaster
that will work with my cable box ( Scientific Atlanta
Explorer 2200)</OT>

hope that helps

Re: I guess I don't understand... [ In reply to ]
Unless you've got a GI/Motorila DCT-2000 series box, in which case if
you have the right firmware on the box and the serial port is enabled on
it, you can use serial control...

-I

Re: I guess I don't understand... [ In reply to ]
Can anybody shed some info on GI/Motorola DCT-2000 series? How do you
know if you have the right firmware and the serial port is enabled?

Sorry for the stupid question, if it has been answered already please
direct me to the post.

Thanks,
-Leo

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 03:07:47PM -0700, Ian Forde wrote:
> Unless you've got a GI/Motorila DCT-2000 series box, in which case if
> you have the right firmware on the box and the serial port is enabled on
> it, you can use serial control...
>
> -I
>
> On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 09:40, Joshua Santelli wrote:
> > --- kevin@joubert.com wrote:
> > > How does MythTV control my digital cable box to
> > > select channels.. or does
> > > it not need to? Or does it replace it?
> >
> > You will need to use an IR Blaster (IR transmitter) to
> > change the channel, via LIRC. There are no tuner
> > cards that will work with "digital" cable. So, you
> > will not be able to replace the cable box.
> >
> > <OT>I've started looking at the IR Blaster (homebrew)
> > but haven't had time to get into it. I think I'm
> > ready to just buy one. Anyone know of a IR Blaster
> > that will work with my cable box ( Scientific Atlanta
> > Explorer 2200)</OT>
> >
> > hope that helps

Leo Laksmana - BeOL
mailto:beol@laksmana.net
http://www.laksmana.net/
Re: I guess I don't understand... [ In reply to ]
I'm not even going to try to work it through the
serial port, seems pretty pointless when you can buy
an IR blaster for $10. I totally do not understand why
anyone would build a homebrew? Something wrong with
the commercial ones?

In theory even if you do not have a pre built lirc
config file for the blaster you should be able to
record one if you configure it as a receive and beam
your remote into it yes? Then just turn around and use
that one to transmit instead.

Guy

Re: I guess I don't understand... [ In reply to ]
I currently use rca directv box for my mythtv (cable sucks anyway :) but
I may have to give up my directv for digital cable soon (hik hik hik...
so much for cable sucks :(

Truthfully I like the serial solution better than having to setup
irblaster, the hair pulling experience that I have been reading in the
mailing list convince me enough to work with serial interface. Plus it's
one thing less you have to worry about to setup, plug in the cable, find
the script and voila... but that's really my preference...

-Leo

Leo Laksmana - BeOL
mailto:beol@laksmana.net
http://www.laksmana.net/
Re: I guess I don't understand... [ In reply to ]
People want to do serial because it does not require the lirc overhead,
and a direct wired connection should be more robust than IR.

There are many reasons that a person might want to do a homebrew. I
know a few. I think the lirc_serial module is currently the only module
that supports different modulation frequencies (which I need for my
cable box). With my homebrew I can have multiple transmitter diodes
located in different locations away from the receiver. Also, I think
that not all mobo's support SIR.

Matt

Re: IR Blaster source (WAS: I guess I don't understand...) [ In reply to ]
--- Guy Bayes <guy_jobs@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ...you can buy
> an IR blaster for $10. I totally do not understand
> why anyone would build a homebrew? Something wrong
> with the commercial ones?

Where can I get one for $10?

I've found this for $25 (includes some other cables
for some reqason):
http://store.snapstream.com/irblcapa.html

This looks like it's the Actisys IR200L. I was also
under the impression that there has been issues with
getting this IR Blaster workinbg with some cable
boxes.

I also keep looking here:
http://www.irtrans.de/english/index.htm

...because it's listed on lirc.org but I can't seam to
figure out how much (in $) the transmitter is. Maybe
I'm missing something here.

Re: IR Blaster source (WAS: I guess I don't understand...) [ In reply to ]
At 01:40 PM 7/18/2003 -0700, Joshua Santelli wrote:
>[...]
>I've found this for $25 (includes some other cables
>for some reqason):
> http://store.snapstream.com/irblcapa.html
>
>This looks like it's the Actisys IR200L. I was also
>under the impression that there has been issues with
>getting this IR Blaster workinbg with some cable
>boxes.

There have been, as you say, "issues". That's because while it "looks like
it's the Actisys IR200L", it is *really* the Actisys 220L, a VERY different
device. If *anyone* (other than Snapstream) knows how to use this device
(the 220L) as an IR Blaster, he or she hasn't seen fit to share the
information in anyplace that a Google search locates.

I've seen a couple of "it works for me" messages, but no substantive
explanations (not even responses when I post a folloowup), so I suspect the
people who say they have the 220L working have the 200L and the 220L mixed
up and really have 200Ls.

Re: I guess I don't understand... [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 12:46, Guy Bayes wrote:
> I'm not even going to try to work it through the
> serial port, seems pretty pointless when you can buy
> an IR blaster for $10. I totally do not understand why
> anyone would build a homebrew? Something wrong with
> the commercial ones?

How homebrew? I didn't have to build anything to get serial working.
Just a standard RS-232 serial cable, ensuring that my cable box has
firmware version 7.54 or greater, and a couple of scripts (that I'll
happily send to anyone who wants them). Set mythtv to use an external
channel-changing script, and it's done.

Total cost? Just the serial cable and whatever serial adapters you need
(like gender changers or 25-to-9-pin adapters...)

-I
Re: I guess I don't understand... [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Guy Bayes wrote:

> I'm not even going to try to work it through the
> serial port, seems pretty pointless when you can buy
> an IR blaster for $10. I totally do not understand why
> anyone would build a homebrew? Something wrong with
> the commercial ones?

I built my homebrew tranceiver in about 5 minutes... Buying an IR blaster
would have involved getting out of my chair :)

Also meant it was easy for my to put a scope on it when trying to get it
working with my Sky Digibox (which are _really_ picky about timing)

--

- Steve http://www.nexusuk.org/

"..Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time.." - Dreamline, Rush
*** Presented in DoubleVision (Where Drunk) - Futurama ***