Mailing List Archive

Nova-T DVB trouble
Hi,
Having enjoyed Myth with my analoge card for about 6 months, and having
tinkered with a Nova-T card for about 3, I thought I'd put the two
together. Sadly, I've had no luck yet.

I've set up the card settings and channel settings as per one of the
other posts I've seen on this list:
Capturecard:
videodevice: /dev/dvb/adapter0 (have also tried
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0)
cardtype: DVB
dvb_type: T
use_ts: 1 (have also tried 0)

I have then set the cardinputid 1 to be courceid 1 for cardid 1, and so
on.

I haven't tried watching live, since I believe there are problems with
that at the moment. I have tried recording though. When I start a
recording, backend gives the message (for example):
****
2003-07-16 19:53:08 Started recording "Tomorrow's World Roadshow" on
channel: 0 on cardid: 1, sourceid: 1
trying to change to channel 1
closed DVB demux devices
Changing from None to RecordingOnly
****

It then writes a 0 byte file to the recording directory.

I've set up channels in both channel and channel_dvb, for example (from
a couple of select * statements in mysql):
select * from channel;
|1000 | 1 | 1 | bbc1 | BBC1 | logo-4.gif | 0 | NULL | bbc1.bbc.co.uk |
25500 | 33000 | 39000 | 0 | 32768 | 1 |

select * from channel_dvb;
| 1000 | bbc1 | 600,601 | 505833333 | N | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0
| 8 | FEC_3_4 | FEC_NONE | QAM_16 | 2 | 32 | NONE |

I have watched the card front-end status using femon. I don't believe
that the card is ever getting re-tuned. I delibratly set one of the
channels to tune to an unused frequency, and then set a recording on
that channel. The front-end status remained "locked" with a good
signal level and BER, suggesting it did not tune away from the signal
it was already on.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going wrong?

Cheers,

--Dave

Re: Nova-T DVB trouble [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 19:58, Dave wrote:
> Hi,
> Having enjoyed Myth with my analoge card for about 6 months, and having
> tinkered with a Nova-T card for about 3, I thought I'd put the two
> together. Sadly, I've had no luck yet.
>
> I've set up the card settings and channel settings as per one of the
> other posts I've seen on this list:
> Capturecard:
> videodevice: /dev/dvb/adapter0 (have also tried
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0)
> cardtype: DVB
> dvb_type: T
> use_ts: 1 (have also tried 0)
>
> I have then set the cardinputid 1 to be courceid 1 for cardid 1, and so
> on.
>
> I haven't tried watching live, since I believe there are problems with
> that at the moment. I have tried recording though. When I start a
> recording, backend gives the message (for example):
> ****
> 2003-07-16 19:53:08 Started recording "Tomorrow's World Roadshow" on
> channel: 0 on cardid: 1, sourceid: 1
> trying to change to channel 1
> closed DVB demux devices
> Changing from None to RecordingOnly
> ****
>
> It then writes a 0 byte file to the recording directory.
>
> I've set up channels in both channel and channel_dvb, for example (from
> a couple of select * statements in mysql):
> select * from channel;
> |1000 | 1 | 1 | bbc1 | BBC1 | logo-4.gif | 0 | NULL | bbc1.bbc.co.uk |
> 25500 | 33000 | 39000 | 0 | 32768 | 1 |
>
> select * from channel_dvb;
> | 1000 | bbc1 | 600,601 | 505833333 | N | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0
> | 8 | FEC_3_4 | FEC_NONE | QAM_16 | 2 | 32 | NONE |
>
> I have watched the card front-end status using femon. I don't believe
> that the card is ever getting re-tuned. I delibratly set one of the
> channels to tune to an unused frequency, and then set a recording on
> that channel. The front-end status remained "locked" with a good
> signal level and BER, suggesting it did not tune away from the signal
> it was already on.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going wrong?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --Dave

Hi what DVB driver are you using? The current myth DVB code does not
work with the CVS DVB driver or the CVS dvb-kernel driver. You have to
be using 1.0.0pre3 or similar.

You need use_ts set to 0, set to 1 it does not work.

Oh, Also live tv channel changing does not work with DVB yet.

Take Care

--
Zaheer Abbas Merali <zaheerabbas@merali.org>

Re: Nova-T DVB trouble [ In reply to ]
A friend of mine has sorted this out for me - I'll explain at the
bottom, but first:

--- Zaheer Abbas Merali <zaheerabbas@merali.org> wrote: > On Wed,
2003-07-16 at 19:58, Dave wrote:

> Hi what DVB driver are you using? The current myth DVB code does not
> work with the CVS DVB driver or the CVS dvb-kernel driver. You have
> be using 1.0.0pre3 or similar.

I'm using 1.0.0pre2. It's now working using that driver.

> You need use_ts set to 0, set to 1 it does not work.

OK, done.

> Oh, Also live tv channel changing does not work with DVB yet.

No, I think I mentioned that I was aware of that problem. My problem
was the more general one of backend not being able to tune for
recording.

Anyway - here's the fix for anyone else trying to get DVB working. I
don't know the reasons, other than I think it's been mentioned recently
on the myth-dev list.

From my settings in my original email, the following needed to be
changed:

In the capturecard table:
videodevice needs to be "0" rather than "/dev/dvb/adapter0",
defaultinput needs to be "" (ie. an empty string),
use_ts needs to be "0" (from Zaheer's suggestion above).

In the cardinput table:
inputname needs to be "" (empty string).

This then at least managed to tune to different frequencies. I then
managed to work out myself that in the channel_dvb table, the Forward
Error Correction settings in hp_code_rate and lp_code_rate for each
channel needed to be in the form of (for example) "3_4" or "NONE"
instead of "FEC_3_4" or "FEC_NONE" respectivly.

Having made these changes, I can now record from my Nova-T card quite
happily :)

Hope this info is helpful to other people experimenting with the joys
of DVB cards.

--Dave