if you have an nForce-based motherboard and your music seems to be playing too
fast in mythmusic, try passing the option "spdif_status=0" to the nvaudio
module

by default spdif is enabled which forces the audio driver into 48kHz. I would
guess that there is some way to find out the current rate of the driver and
that mythmusic isn't checking it, at least the documentation suggests to
disable spdif if your application makes assumptions about the bitrate.

Martin

Re: nForce mobo + mythmusic plays too fast [ In reply to ]
or change myth to use 48kHz and you can then _use_ your SPDIF

best,
Cedar

Re: nForce mobo + mythmusic plays too fast [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 11:08, Cedar McKay wrote:
> or change myth to use 48kHz and you can then _use_ your SPDIF
>

> best,
> Cedar

I just ran into this tonight. Apparently I hadn't tested MythMusic after
switching over to S/PDIF a few weeks back. MythTV sound is just fine.
MythMusic is a bit fast and high pitched. I swapped out all instances of
44100 with 48000 in cddecoder.cpp. This seemed to make the speed OK, but
the pitch is still messed up.

Anyone know the correct way to fix this? Is there a parameter I can pass
ALSA to force 44100 on S/PDIF? Should I be hacking up Myth further?

ASUS a7n266-vm
ALSA CVS (7/12)

Thanks,
Joe
Re: nForce mobo + mythmusic plays too fast [ In reply to ]
On Friday 08 August 2003 12:32 am, m0j0.j0j0 wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 11:08, Cedar McKay wrote:
> > or change myth to use 48kHz and you can then _use_ your SPDIF
> >

> > best,
> > Cedar
>
> I just ran into this tonight. Apparently I hadn't tested MythMusic after
> switching over to S/PDIF a few weeks back. MythTV sound is just fine.
> MythMusic is a bit fast and high pitched. I swapped out all instances of
> 44100 with 48000 in cddecoder.cpp. This seemed to make the speed OK, but
> the pitch is still messed up.
>
> Anyone know the correct way to fix this? Is there a parameter I can pass
> ALSA to force 44100 on S/PDIF? Should I be hacking up Myth further?

Try using mythmusic CVS?

Isaac
Re: nForce mobo + mythmusic plays too fast [ In reply to ]
> Try using mythmusic CVS?
>
> Isaac

I'm running CVS from 8/6 ~10PM CST. Did I miss any commits yesterday
that would have effect on this?

Thanks,
Joe
Re: nForce mobo + mythmusic plays too fast [ In reply to ]
> On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 11:08, Cedar McKay wrote:
> > or change myth to use 48kHz and you can then _use_ your SPDIF
> >

> > best,
> > Cedar
>

> I just ran into this tonight. Apparently I hadn't tested MythMusic
> afterswitching over to S/PDIF a few weeks back. MythTV sound is
> just fine.
> MythMusic is a bit fast and high pitched. I swapped out all
> instances of
> 44100 with 48000 in cddecoder.cpp. This seemed to make the speed
> OK, but
> the pitch is still messed up.
>
> Anyone know the correct way to fix this? Is there a parameter I can
> passALSA to force 44100 on S/PDIF? Should I be hacking up Myth
> further?
> ASUS a7n266-vm
> ALSA CVS (7/12)
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

If you're using the ALSA OSS emulation with /dev/adsp, I had the same problem with newer ALSA versions. The SPDIF output was hardcoded in the intel8x0 driver somwhere between 0.9.4 and 0.9.5, and as far as I know, hasn't been changed since. I'm using the CVS version of ALSA from 6/21, with no problems, using the current CVS of MythTV.

If you're using ALSA directly, then it still may be a problem, but I don't know.

Scott
Re: nForce mobo + mythmusic plays too fast [ In reply to ]
On Friday 08 August 2003 09:13 am, m0j0.j0j0 wrote:
> > Try using mythmusic CVS?
> >
> > Isaac
>
> I'm running CVS from 8/6 ~10PM CST. Did I miss any commits yesterday
> that would have effect on this?

Ah, no. There's code in mythmusic that should be resampling the audio,
though. Might give you a starting point if you want to look there
(audiooutput.cpp, look for the 'needresample' bits).

Isaac
Re: nForce mobo + mythmusic plays too fast [ In reply to ]
> If you're using the ALSA OSS emulation with /dev/adsp, I had the same problem with newer ALSA versions. The SPDIF output was hardcoded in the intel8x0 driver somwhere between 0.9.4 and 0.9.5, and as far as I know, hasn't been changed since. I'm using the CVS version of ALSA from 6/21, with no problems, using the current CVS of MythTV.
>
> If you're using ALSA directly, then it still may be a problem, but I don't know.
>
> Scott

Thanks! I'm using OSS emu w/ /dev/adsp. I went to CVS 6-21 (was 7-12)
and everything is working now. No more chipmunk sounding songs.

I'll just have to remember not to update ALSA or, apparently, nVidia
drivers based on other threads.

Joe