Mailing List Archive

STB Systems Inc.
Don't know if this should be asked here. Getting together some of my
old parts together to put a myth box together. The only thing i need to
buy is a capture device i think. First don't know if the Wintv 250 or
350 is better. Which one should i get over the other and why? Is one
remote better than the other?

Second, i have an old STB Systems Velocity 4400 with TV OUT. Since STB
is no longer i can't figure out if XFree supports this with XV
extensions like the Documentation says it should. Does this board work
with XFree and if so does it have XV extensions and is the TV -OUT
SUpported on it. I mean it doesn't have to be anything fancy for the TV
out part right? Just a composite yellow cable yes?

Also, wondering do most sound cards just have a one out so do you have
to put a spliter on it to go to the Red and white inputs for sound, and
is it stereo split like this, and will it sound good in surround sound
or does it sound bad like this?

THanks prolly not all relative to MythTV directly, but any comments
would be appreciated.

BTW just want to say from what i've seen, this program is so sweet.
Very professional looking, just wish i was proficient enough to program
for it, unfortunately i'm a finance guy with a hobby in programming.
Just wanted to give you guys props.

Thanks

-MacNean

Re: STB Systems Inc. [ In reply to ]
MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
> Don't know if this should be asked here. Getting together some of my
> old parts together to put a myth box together. The only thing i need to
> buy is a capture device i think. First don't know if the Wintv 250 or
> 350 is better. Which one should i get over the other and why? Is one
> remote better than the other?

For recording, they are the same. The 350 has decoding features
that are not supported by the ivtv drivers yet and so it doesn't
help for MythTV. YOu should probably save a few bucks and get
the 250.

> Second, i have an old STB Systems Velocity 4400 with TV OUT. Since STB
> is no longer i can't figure out if XFree supports this with XV
> extensions like the Documentation says it should. Does this board work
> with XFree and if so does it have XV extensions and is the TV -OUT
> SUpported on it. I mean it doesn't have to be anything fancy for the TV
> out part right? Just a composite yellow cable yes?

I haven't heard of anyone using one of these. However, any
cheap nVidia card with TV-out will work so you'd probably
save yourself some headaches by going that route.

> Also, wondering do most sound cards just have a one out so do you have
> to put a spliter on it to go to the Red and white inputs for sound, and
> is it stereo split like this, and will it sound good in surround sound
> or does it sound bad like this?

The one output is a stereo mini phono jack. Go to Radio
Shack or where ever and get a stereo mini phono to two
RCA adapter. There are mono mini phono Y splitters to RCA
that look almost the same (I almost bought one by accident
once ;-). I do get Dolby ProLogic surround through an adapter
like this. However, there was a thread a couple days ago
where several people found that they only get mono audio
from older and cheaper TV capture cards.

-- bjm

Re: STB Systems Inc. [ In reply to ]
Also, the one chip set is bt869krf 25869-15 c41460-9 9830
other chip is AT29lv512 20jv 9752
the big chip is covered by a head sink, stuck on pretty good, don't want
to pop it off unless i really have to.
also has 16 or 32 mb, no idea 8 small chips, nothing on them really so
either 2mb each or 4. um what else, oh yea pci should that be ok or
really bad?

guess that's it. Hope someone can help. thanks

-MacNean

Re: STB Systems Inc. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 00:19, Bruce Markey wrote:
> MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
> > Don't know if this should be asked here. Getting together some of my
> > old parts together to put a myth box together. The only thing i need to
> > buy is a capture device i think. First don't know if the Wintv 250 or
> > 350 is better. Which one should i get over the other and why? Is one
> > remote better than the other?
>
> For recording, they are the same. The 350 has decoding features
> that are not supported by the ivtv drivers yet and so it doesn't
> help for MythTV. YOu should probably save a few bucks and get
> the 250.

Thanks, saw some on ebay but no remote or cables or nothing. I'll look
around, i did find a 350 for $170 us.

> > Second, i have an old STB Systems Velocity 4400 with TV OUT. Since STB
> > is no longer i can't figure out if XFree supports this with XV
> > extensions like the Documentation says it should. Does this board work
> > with XFree and if so does it have XV extensions and is the TV -OUT
> > SUpported on it. I mean it doesn't have to be anything fancy for the TV
> > out part right? Just a composite yellow cable yes?
>
> I haven't heard of anyone using one of these. However, any
> cheap nVidia card with TV-out will work so you'd probably
> save yourself some headaches by going that route.

I think this is a nvidia chipset, the TNT maybe? can't find any info so
far. But i might look into a cheap nVidia, i just figured if it works i
should use it or toss it i guess.

> > Also, wondering do most sound cards just have a one out so do you have
> > to put a spliter on it to go to the Red and white inputs for sound, and
> > is it stereo split like this, and will it sound good in surround sound
> > or does it sound bad like this?
>
> The one output is a stereo mini phono jack. Go to Radio
> Shack or where ever and get a stereo mini phono to two
> RCA adapter. There are mono mini phono Y splitters to RCA
> that look almost the same (I almost bought one by accident
> once ;-). I do get Dolby ProLogic surround through an adapter
> like this. However, there was a thread a couple days ago
> where several people found that they only get mono audio
> from older and cheaper TV capture cards.

Yea that's what i was wondering. Glad there is stereo one. But both
wintv's use stereo sound right?

-MacNean

RE: STB Systems Inc. [ In reply to ]
no i haven't, i'll have to try that when i can get it by a tv again. thanks

-macnean