encoding ability (PVR), and fits my budged. And does mythtv support it,
beyond the bttv driver?

Orn
Re: Hercules Smart TV Stereo [ In reply to ]
Örn Hansen wrote:

> Does anyone have any knowledge about this card, it supposedly has a mpeg2
>encoding ability (PVR), and fits my budged. And does mythtv support it,
>beyond the bttv driver?

the hercules cards i've seen use software encoding, they just give you a
windows app roughly similar to mythtv, e.g. WinTV. Read carefully.
RE: Hercules Smart TV Stereo [ In reply to ]

The MPEG-1/2 encoding ability advertised is NOT hardware-based. It is
Windows software that is shipped with the card. This card is only listed on
the European web site, but supposedly comes in PAL, NTSC & SECAM. According
to their website it is BT878-based, so it *should* work under Linux, and
also with Myth. However, you may want confirmation as I've never seen
anyone mention this card before.

The only cards that do hardware-based MPEG encoding & are supported under
Linux & MythTV are the Hauppauge PVR-250 & PVR-350. Even at that, the Linux
driver (ivtv) is still an alpha version.

-JAC
Re: Hercules Smart TV Stereo [ In reply to ]
onsdag 11 juni 2003 21:34 skrev Joseph A. Caputo:

> The MPEG-1/2 encoding ability advertised is NOT hardware-based. It is
> Windows software that is shipped with the card. This card is only listed
> on the European web site, but supposedly comes in PAL, NTSC & SECAM.
> According to their website it is BT878-based, so it *should* work under
> Linux, and also with Myth. However, you may want confirmation as I've
> never seen anyone mention this card before.
>
> The only cards that do hardware-based MPEG encoding & are supported under
> Linux & MythTV are the Hauppauge PVR-250 & PVR-350. Even at that, the
> Linux driver (ivtv) is still an alpha version.

Well, I've got a haupauge card already and the only reason I was looking at
an alternative was that I don't get any sound with my recordings :-(. I've
tried the mute option and all that, but no go. It's a bummer, aplay doesn't
work either.

Orn
Re: Hercules Smart TV Stereo [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 11 June 2003 04:30 pm, Örn Hansen wrote:
> Well, I've got a haupauge card already and the only reason I was looking
> at an alternative was that I don't get any sound with my recordings :-(.
> I've tried the mute option and all that, but no go. It's a bummer, aplay
> doesn't work either.
>
> Orn

The sound issue is more likely with your sound card configuration. If you're
trying to use btaudio, be aware that btaudio may not work on all Hauppauge
cards, even those with the same model number (they switch the chips but don't
change the model number!). Try setting it up with your sound card. If you
get sound in Xawtv (need the patch cable for that), then there's nothing
wrong with your tuner card. If your sound card doesn't support full duplex,
though, you might have to get a new sound card. Have you installed ALSA and
followed the documentation to the letter?

-JAC