Mailing List Archive

MythVideo - 300 Disk DVD Carousel
Hi,

I have a Sony 300 disk DVD carousel which I use to watch DVDs. It has a
terrible user interface and although it plays great, it is awkward to
select a DVD from its on-screen menus.

1. What I would like to be able to do is use it with MythVideo (which
has a great user-interface).

2. I would also like to be able to watch DVDs from the Sony player on
any TV in the house (i.e. which is connected to a Mythfrontend).

The DVD player can of course be controlled with a remote (IR interface),
so I don't see a problem making it play the correct DVD. However, what
is seems it would need to do is play through the MythTV frontend/backend
protocol. That is, I imagine if I plugged the DVD player into the
"s-video in" on my Hauppauge PVR-250, it could work through MythTV, but
that wouldn't be integrated with the (great) MythVideo interface (with
the IMDB info and all).

It would also be nice if the standard functions (like pause) could be
made to work (via the IR).

Does anyone (particularly the developers) have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Dick

P.S. The exact model is: Sony DVP-CX875P
Re: MythVideo - 300 Disk DVD Carousel [ In reply to ]
I have been considering buying a 301 disc changer and have given this some
thought. This is one approach (there may be better ones)

But a redrat (the serial redrat 2 version, not the USB redrat 3) and train it
to output commands for your DVD changer. (http://www.redrat.co.uk/)

Write a small shell script wrapper that can discriminate between an
avi/divx/mpeg file and a text file. Have it execute mplayer <file> if it is
an avi/divx/mpeg file and have it change to the appropriate dvd and play it
via the redrat2 if it if a conf (text) file.

Now set up the wrapper as your helper application in mythvideo and you will be
able to play you dvd's into a mythbackend server for viewing on any
mythfrontend client, while still maintaining video playback functionality.

Just my $.02

James S. White GAPS Incorporated
james@gapsinc.com Electrical Engineer - Etc.
http://www.jameswhite.org Caffeine is my anti-drug.
How many people have to die before we put an end to dying altogether?
-- theonion.com

Re: MythVideo - 300 Disk DVD Carousel [ In reply to ]
What would you think of something along the lines of xine MRLs?

To be cleanly distributed around the home, I still think it needs to be
integrated with the MythTV backend.