Curently the only modules that work for me are MythGallery and
MythWeather :-/ So if anyone can tell me if I can use aRts/OSS it would
at least add MythMusic to the list of working modules.
Re: Can MythMusic use aRts or OSS? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 05 June 2003 08:01 pm, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> Is it possible for MythMusic to use aRts or OSS?
> Because ESD doesn't work for me and I can hardly find any info on it.
> And even though it says everywhere that you should be using ALSA I'm
> really getting fed up trying to get it to work.

mythmusic _only_ uses OSS, for now. Same as mythtv.

Isaac
Re: Can MythMusic use aRts or OSS? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 05 June 2003 08:15 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Thursday 05 June 2003 08:01 pm, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> > Is it possible for MythMusic to use aRts or OSS?
> > Because ESD doesn't work for me and I can hardly find any info on it.
> > And even though it says everywhere that you should be using ALSA I'm
> > really getting fed up trying to get it to work.
>
> mythmusic _only_ uses OSS, for now. Same as mythtv.
>
> Isaac

Just to clarify, ALSA provides an OSS compatibility mode/layer so that you
don't have to build direct ALSA support into your app. OSS apps work "out of
the box" with ALSA. The reason the ALSA drivers are recommended over the
OSS/Free drivers in the stock (2.4 & earlier) kernel is that the underlying
driver is considered to be superior, especially for full duplex, which is
very important for Myth.

And no, none of the Myth modules can use (or even probably co-exist with) aRts
or ESD.

-JAC
RE: Can MythMusic use aRts or OSS? [ In reply to ]
It does? That's strange, because every time that I start it MythMusic
hangs and a raatling noise comes from the speakers (which I've not been
able to turn off without rebooting). If I look in the process list there
is en "esd" daemon running which wasn't there before. Looking through
the docs I figured that MythMusic was using MAD to play music. If I use
madplay to play the same files I don't get any sound, but the effect is
the same: a esd daemon starts running and I can't do any audio until I
kill it. MPlayer works without a hitch either using OSS or aRts to play.

ANy suggestions how ESD might get involved and how I could get rid if it
? :-)

Thanks,
-Tako

RE: Can MythMusic use aRts or OSS? [ In reply to ]

But that's the stange thing about all this, it's MythMusic that is
starting ESD for me, it's not running before I start MythMusic.

ANy ideas?

Cheers,
-Tako

Re: Can MythMusic use aRts or OSS? [ In reply to ]
On Friday 06 June 2003 11:40 am, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> It does? That's strange, because every time that I start it MythMusic
> hangs and a raatling noise comes from the speakers (which I've not been
> able to turn off without rebooting). If I look in the process list there
> is en "esd" daemon running which wasn't there before. Looking through
> the docs I figured that MythMusic was using MAD to play music. If I use
> madplay to play the same files I don't get any sound, but the effect is
> the same: a esd daemon starts running and I can't do any audio until I
> kill it. MPlayer works without a hitch either using OSS or aRts to play.
>
> ANy suggestions how ESD might get involved and how I could get rid if it
> ? :-)

mythmusic is _not_ starting esd. It uses the mad library for decoding only,
not madplay itself. Check the source if you don't believe me. There's
absolutely no way it can be starting esd.

Isaac
RE: Can MythMusic use aRts or OSS? [ In reply to ]
Hmmm.. is one of the libs that MythMusic uses to do playback configured to
use ESD? I don't even know if that makes sense...

-JAC

Re: Can MythMusic use aRts or OSS? [ In reply to ]
On Friday 06 June 2003 12:19 pm, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> Hmmm.. is one of the libs that MythMusic uses to do playback configured to
> use ESD? I don't even know if that makes sense...

It doesn't =) It just talks directly to /dev/dsp -- ie, normal OSS.

Isaac
RE: Can MythMusic use aRts or OSS? [ In reply to ]

Thanks... I wasn't sure.

-JAC
Re: Can MythMusic use aRts or OSS? [ In reply to ]
Ok, you're absolutely right, it seems that esd is not being started anymore (by whomever it got started), but unfortunately the problem hasn't gone away :-)

To recap:

1. Start MythMusic
2. Select Play (without first selecting any music)
3. Segfault

or

1. Start MythMusic
2. Use Select Music to select all music
3. Select Play
4. Rattling sound comes from the speakers that won't go away even when MythMusic is stopped.
Starting "mplayer -ao oss some.mp3" gives a message that /dev/dsp is unavailable.

Any ideas?
Is there any information I could give you that would make it possible for you to help?

Cheers,
-Tako

mythmusic is _not_ starting esd. It uses the mad library for decoding only, not madplay itself. Check the source if you don't believe me. There's absolutely no way it can be starting esd. Isaac _______________________________________________ mythtv-users mailing list mythtv-users@snowman.net http://lists.snowman.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users"]http://lists.snowman.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users