/ / / __/ Brian Lalor
/ _ \/__ \ blalor@bravo5.org
/_.__/____/ http://bravo5.org/
Re: Matrox G400 question [ In reply to ]
Brian Lalor wrote:

> Not strictly MythTV-related...
>
> I'm working on building a MythTV-capable system (Athlon XP 1700+,
> 120GB IBM drive, 512MB PC2700 RAM). The motherboard I'm looking at
> doesn't have TV-out, and I've seen recommendations for the Matrox
> Millennium G400 card. Will that card support TV *only*?

once the driver and everything has been setup it will.. but you wont see
anything on the TV until the driver has been loaded (i.e. no BIOS POST
or anything etc.) so you would need to do all of hte initial setup with
a regular monitor attached. Once everything is setup though it wont
care if it doesnt detect a monitor. The TV can only be connected to the
secondary output not the primary.
Re: Matrox G400 question [ In reply to ]
Brian Lalor wrote:

> Not strictly MythTV-related...
>
> I'm working on building a MythTV-capable system (Athlon XP 1700+, 120GB
> IBM drive, 512MB PC2700 RAM). The motherboard I'm looking at doesn't
> have TV-out, and I've seen recommendations for the Matrox Millennium
> G400 card. Will that card support TV *only*?

A super-cheap GF2MX with Tv-Out might be a better choice, if you get a
model with a "fully-programmable" tv output chip (the other(s?) have
only a few modes/sizes), you'll be able to really control the tv-out.
Now, I don't know how flexible the g400 tv-out is, but I know the GF2MX
is alright if properly configured. Might be cheaper, too, depends on
where you live.

Pete
Re: Matrox G400 question [ In reply to ]
hes got a point.. no one does linux drivers quite like nVidia does...