Mailing List Archive

i'm a noob... dont hurt me
just joined the list yesterday... so dont beat me up for posting...

before i waste a whole buncha time messing with something that might
possibly not work for compatibility reasons i thought i'd post this for
you all to comment on.

I am thinking about getting myth going on my shuttle as follows...
wondering if anyone could see any reason why this wouldnt work or had
any better suggestions:

-Shuttle SS40G (SiS 740 chipset on-board tv-out), athlon xp 1700, 512mb
ram, 20gb cheapo fujistu hdd.
-Suse 8.2 Pro (new KDE 3.1 looks awesome)
-ATI TV Wonder (not the Lite or VE one or whatever they call it, but not
the newest one with all the connections on the dongle thingy)
-old wireless keyboard/mouse thing with the mouse going via serial and
the keyboard ps2
-Lite-On 16x DVD-Rom drive
-I live in the Midwest U.S. (never messed with xmltv but it should have
my listings i presume)
-crappy old Zenith TV

i read some posts from the archives and am aware of the one about Suse
8.2 and gcc 3.3... i'll be sure to remember that if i have compile
problems.. and apparently there are many happy TV wonder card users... I
should note I spend as much time watching DivX and Xvid encoded .avi's
through the network as I would watching TV on it, so if theres a prob
there i would need to know.

I'm also thinking about Gentoo Linux for the possible xtra performance
gains but i am a lot more worried about hardware compatibility on Gentoo
with the SiS chip and i've never messed with it yet... i've failed to
produce search results indicating whether it'll work or not.

any comments? suggestions? or feel free to just go ahead and bash the
newbie for posting...

Thanks in advance,
mOjO