Mailing List Archive

backing up critical Myth files?
Hi All,

I've been using MythTV for a couple of months now (release 0.8) and modulo
a few minor problems which, from following the discussions, I understand
have been addressed in the CVS, it has been nice and stable. I have a
single dedicated box that runs both backend and frontend.

Given that I now have some 100 GB of recorded video, much of which I've
archived by hand to CDR, I'm beginning to be concerned with the
recoverability of the database and other critical Myth files should
something fail -- either in hardware or due to some software-driven
corruption. Therefore, I'd like to archive the Myth files as well, so am
writing a small script to tar them up and burn to CD in a semi-automatic way.

From my limited understanding, I'll need to save the following directories
and files:

/usr/src/local/mthtv-0.8 (where I've put the Myth source)
/usr/local/lib/mythtv/
/usr/local/include/mythtv/
/usr/local/bin/myth*
/usr/local/share/mythtv/
/usr/local/src/mythtv-0.8/
~/.mythtv/
/etc/X11/XF86config
/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf (or perhaps just /usr/share/alsa/)

What else? Where are the program database files kept? Are there v4l
configuration files? What have I forgotten?

- pz.

--
John Pezaris, Ph.D.
pz@hms.harvard.edu
Re: backing up critical Myth files? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 01 June 2003 10:55 am, Dr. J. S. Pezaris wrote:
> /usr/src/local/mthtv-0.8 (where I've put the Myth source)
> /usr/local/lib/mythtv/
> /usr/local/include/mythtv/
> /usr/local/bin/myth*
> /usr/local/share/mythtv/
> /usr/local/src/mythtv-0.8/
> ~/.mythtv/
> /etc/X11/XF86config
> /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf (or perhaps just /usr/share/alsa/)

Your database will be in something like /var/lib/mysql/mythconverg

Isaac
Re: backing up critical Myth files? [ In reply to ]
Dr. J. S. Pezaris wrote:

>What else?

All critical (non-recoverable) data is in the database. MySql usually
keeps its files in /var/lib/mysql/ or a similar location depending on
your distro. See also the program mysqldump.
Re: backing up critical Myth files? [ In reply to ]
> What else? Where are the program database files kept?

To backup a MySQL database: http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Backup.html

-jim
Re: backing up critical Myth files? [ In reply to ]
Dr. J. S. Pezaris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been using MythTV for a couple of months now (release 0.8) and modulo
> a few minor problems which, from following the discussions, I understand
> have been addressed in the CVS, it has been nice and stable. I have a
> single dedicated box that runs both backend and frontend.
>
> Given that I now have some 100 GB of recorded video, much of which I've
> archived by hand to CDR, I'm beginning to be concerned with the
> recoverability of the database and other critical Myth files should
> something fail -- either in hardware or due to some software-driven
> corruption. Therefore, I'd like to archive the Myth files as well, so am
> writing a small script to tar them up and burn to CD in a semi-automatic way.

The key thing that you need is an ASCII dump that includes
the "recorded" table which holds the title and description
information to match up with your files.

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-19.html#ss19.6.

If you save this along with the source tree, everything can
be regenterated by 'make install' then restore the database
per the docs in the source tree.

-- bjm