Mailing List Archive

choppy audio only with mythtv
Hello everyone,

I'm having a terrible time getting audio to work correctly with myth. I get
choppy audio when watching both recorded shows and live tv. It has done
this from the very start (a cvs version from ~Apr 15) and has gotten worse
with an upgrade last night.

The captured video/audio is fine. I can play back a recorded show using
mplayer and it sounds great. Recorded shows also play back fine using media
player in windows.

This lead me to beleive that my sound card was at fault, so i've tried 3
different cards. I've tried using:

82801DB AC'97 Audio - my motherboard's on-board sound using alsa
SB 128 PCI (ES1371) - pci card using alsa
SB Live - pci card using alsa, also tried oss drivers

They all produce choppy sound from within myth, and work flawlessly when
playing back the same video/audio from within mplayer.

Also, system load doesn't seem to have much to do with it. The load is
around 1.0 while recording and watching, and around 0.1 when just watching.
I have choppy audio during both.

I've scoured this list and the alsa list looking for solutions but nothing
seemed to apply to my situation. Maybe someone could help me out?

here's the system specs:

Intel D845GERG2 motherboard
P4 2.4 GHz
WinTV PVR 250
Nvidia Geforce2 MX
NetMos serial controller card
Any of the three sound cards above
512M of ram
Seagate ST3160021A 160 Gig HDD

I'm running Gentoo Linux 1.2 with a vanilla kernel + 4vl2 patch.

Attached you'll find dmesg output, and some info from /proc.

Thanks for you time.

-Jesse