Mailing List Archive

Several Problems with my WinTV PVR 250 MythTV Box
System overview:
RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-13.9)
NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX
Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz
WinTV PVR-250 Tuner Card (using coax input, RCA/composite output)
Sound Blaster 16 PCI

First up, I followed these these instructions to the letter:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=63078

MythTV is up and running but several things are not working.

First and mainly is sound. I have no sound output all using MythTV.
If I use mplayer to play a static MPEG file, I hear sound out of my
television.
Same with XFree sounds. They play okay. But MythTV doesn't.
I tried doing a modprobe btaudio, but no such luck. It loads but then
spits out 'No such device' errors.
How can I further troubleshoot this? And hopefully fix it?

Secondly, if I go into MythTV and choose to 'Watch TV' it comes up just
fine and I'm now watching TV.
However, if I hit 'ESCAPE' to go back to the TV menu scren, once it
makes it to the screen Myth totally stops responding.
Arrow keys don't do anything, and neither does escape.
It's as if it just decided to stop listening for input.

The servers output at the end:
Using XV port 211
Video timing method: next trigger
Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
Changing from None to None

Any ideas on this one?

Thirdly, I'm using a dual monitor output on my GeForce 4.
So to start up myth, I login to console as root, and then do a startx.
Once I get into X, I open up a terminal window and run a little
'startmyth' batch file I made:

mythbackend -d
export DISPLAY=:0.1
irxevent &
mythfrontend &

The display tag allows me to use MythTV on the TV only, while keeping
the monitor available for 'use'.
The irxevent loads me /root/.lircrc file which has keymappings for my
hauppauge remote control.

Is this possibly causing the issue?
Is irxevent sending the 'escape' key too many times because of the dual
monitors?
I would think no, because I can navigate the menus all night long with
the remote, without getting locked up. It's only when I go to watching
TV and try to 'back/exit' out does the problem happen.
Is there a safer way to run mythtv?
My main goal is to get mythtv on the TV, with remote control only.
Frankly I'd like to turn off the keyboard outputting to the MythTV
screen because I'd like to 'work' inside X on my monitor display.

Also a quick question, I did a cvs checkout mythvideo, make, make
install and then inputed the video database.
How exactly do I use this?
I saw a new menu option in Myth for 'watching videos'.
I set the directory, and coppied over a 8MB MPEG video I got off the
net. But the MythTV interface doesn't seem to see any videos.
Do I need to run the mythvideo process as well? or how else can I get
videos to show up?

Anyone have any ideas?

I've uploaded the following files to my website just in case you need to
see them:
http://www.cosmicrealms.com/MythProblem/XF86Config
http://www.cosmicrealms.com/MythProblem/.lircrc
http://www.cosmicrealms.com/MythProblem/startmyth

The last file is that script I wrote that I execute once I get into
xwindows.
--
To an optimist the glass is half full.
To a pessimist the glass is half empty.
Re: Several Problems with my WinTV PVR 250 MythTV Box [ In reply to ]
Robert Schultz wrote:

> System overview:
> RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-13.9)
> NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX
> Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz
> WinTV PVR-250 Tuner Card (using coax input, RCA/composite output)
> Sound Blaster 16 PCI

Oh, here is a few outputs from dmesg, lspci, lsmod and /etc/modules.conf:

dmesg response from booting up and then running mythtv
Located here:
http://www.cosmicrealms.com/MythProblem/dmesg.txt

lsmod repsonse:
Module Size Used by Tainted: P
ivtv 45816 1 (autoclean)
msp3400 17612 1 (autoclean)
saa7115 7036 0 (autoclean) (unused)
tuner 12384 1 (autoclean)
lirc_i2c 5312 0 (autoclean)
lirc_dev 10064 1 (autoclean) [lirc_i2c]
i2c-algo-bit 8776 1 (autoclean) [ivtv]
i2c-core 19108 0 (autoclean) [ivtv msp3400 saa7115
tuner lirc_i2c i2c-algo-bit]
videodev 8288 3 (autoclean) [ivtv]
es1371 30408 0 (autoclean)
gameport 3364 0 (autoclean) [es1371]
ac97_codec 14536 0 (autoclean) [es1371]
soundcore 6468 4 (autoclean) [es1371]
agpgart 47968 4 (autoclean)
nvidia 1670848 16 (autoclean)
parport_pc 18788 1 (autoclean)
lp 8804 0 (autoclean)
parport 36800 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
autofs 13108 0 (autoclean) (unused)
tulip 43488 1
sg 35852 0 (autoclean)
sr_mod 17720 0 (autoclean)
ide-scsi 12016 0
scsi_mod 106584 3 [sg sr_mod ide-scsi]
ide-cd 35424 0
cdrom 33216 0 [sr_mod ide-cd]
keybdev 2912 0 (unused)
mousedev 5428 1
hid 21892 0 (unused)
input 5792 0 [keybdev mousedev hid]
usb-uhci 25996 0 (unused)
usbcore 78272 1 [hid usb-uhci]
ext3 69984 2
jbd 51444 2 [ext3]

/etc/modules.conf:
# Start IVTV
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv debug=0 mpg_buffers=30
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner lirc_dev lirc_i2c
#IVTV End
alias char-major-195 nvidia

And lspci -vv response (some I didn't include here):
00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
Subsystem: Ensoniq Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI128
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

00:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15
MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4001
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX
440] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 248 (1250ns min, 250ns max)
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
Region 0: Memory at ce000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Region 1: Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Region 2: Memory at d7800000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=512K]
Expansion ROM at d77e0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
Command: RQ=31 SBA- AGP+ 64bit- FW- Rate=x4

Re: Several Problems with my WinTV PVR 250 MythTV Box [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 31 May 2003 06:01 pm, Robert Schultz wrote:
> MythTV is up and running but several things are not working.
>
> First and mainly is sound. I have no sound output all using MythTV.
> If I use mplayer to play a static MPEG file, I hear sound out of my
> television.
> Same with XFree sounds. They play okay. But MythTV doesn't.
> I tried doing a modprobe btaudio, but no such luck. It loads but then
> spits out 'No such device' errors.
> How can I further troubleshoot this? And hopefully fix it?

btaudio is for analog tuner cards. Pretty much the only thing it can be with
a pvr-250 is that you've not setup the output sound device in mythtv's
settings section or something else is using the dsp device and preventing
mythtv from opening it.

> Secondly, if I go into MythTV and choose to 'Watch TV' it comes up just
> fine and I'm now watching TV.
> However, if I hit 'ESCAPE' to go back to the TV menu scren, once it
> makes it to the screen Myth totally stops responding.
> Arrow keys don't do anything, and neither does escape.
> It's as if it just decided to stop listening for input.

Sounds like you're not running a window manager on there, or are running one
that doesn't work properly wrt keyboard focus.

Isaac
Re: Several Problems with my WinTV PVR 250 MythTV Box [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Saturday 31 May 2003 06:01 pm, Robert Schultz wrote:
>

>>MythTV is up and running but several things are not working.
>>
>>First and mainly is sound. I have no sound output all using MythTV.
>>If I use mplayer to play a static MPEG file, I hear sound out of my
>>television.
>>Same with XFree sounds. They play okay. But MythTV doesn't.
>>I tried doing a modprobe btaudio, but no such luck. It loads but then
>>spits out 'No such device' errors.
>>How can I further troubleshoot this? And hopefully fix it?
>>

>btaudio is for analog tuner cards. Pretty much the only thing it can be with
>a pvr-250 is that you've not setup the output sound device in mythtv's
>settings section or something else is using the dsp device and preventing
>mythtv from opening it.

Hrm... okay, I'm GLAD to know that it's not btaudio.
I have three sound devices in /dev:
/dev/dsp /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp56k

In mythtv's setup for my 'Capture Card' settings, I have:
Audio Device: /dev/dsp

I just changed it to /dev/dsp1 and it works now!
I have sound. It's very quiet, but I can just adjust my volume.

Quality of picture is pretty bad though (It's at 480x480)
I'll have to look at improving that...
So the sound problem is fixed.

>>Secondly, if I go into MythTV and choose to 'Watch TV' it comes up just
>>fine and I'm now watching TV.
>>However, if I hit 'ESCAPE' to go back to the TV menu scren, once it
>>makes it to the screen Myth totally stops responding.
>>Arrow keys don't do anything, and neither does escape.
>>It's as if it just decided to stop listening for input.
>>

>Sounds like you're not running a window manager on there, or are running one
>that doesn't work properly wrt keyboard focus.

I'm running fluxbox. I believe the same thing happened though with stock
KDE.
I'm running the programs/script using Eterm.
Is there some way I can 'turn off' the keyboard for screen 2?
That way only the remote control will be sending keys to that scree
I just tried running mythforeground and irxevent in the forground
instead of as background processes, same thing happens.
I also tried not running irxevent at all, and just using keyboard. Same
thing.

So I tried running it on the same display, without doing the export
DISPLAY to the TV.
It worked!

Right now I'm working on finding out if there is a way I can better
'direct' things to the second screen, including keyboard input.

If anyone has any ideas on how to direct certain input only to a single
screen, or run things only on a single screen.. :)

Re: Several Problems with my WinTV PVR 250 MythTV Box [ In reply to ]
Robert Schultz wrote:

> Isaac Richards wrote:
>
>>> Secondly, if I go into MythTV and choose to 'Watch TV' it comes up just
>>> fine and I'm now watching TV.
>>> However, if I hit 'ESCAPE' to go back to the TV menu scren, once it
>>> makes it to the screen Myth totally stops responding.
>>> Arrow keys don't do anything, and neither does escape.
>>> It's as if it just decided to stop listening for input.
>>
>> Sounds like you're not running a window manager on there, or are
>> running one that doesn't work properly wrt keyboard focus.
>
> So I tried running it on the same display, without doing the export
> DISPLAY to the TV.
> It worked!
>
> Right now I'm working on finding out if there is a way I can better
> 'direct' things to the second screen, including keyboard input.
>
> If anyone has any ideas on how to direct certain input only to a
> single screen, or run things only on a single screen.. :)

Okay, cool stuff.
I export my display, and run Eterm &
That gives me an Eterm window no my TV.
I move my mouse over to it and start Mythfrontend there!
And everything works great, as long as I keep 'focus' on that window on
that screen.

So all I have to do now is figure out how to redirect irxevent signals
to a specific window!
And .lircrc files have that capabilit built in (to both window name and
window ID).
Once I figure out how that works, it should be all set.

As well as it's working now, I'm having another problem, but it probably
has to do with my not understanding what the buttons are set up to do.

Oh, and my resoution is kinda weird. I can't see probably a half an inch
of text to the left and top of the screen.
Will have to play with resolutions somehow :)

Thanks for your help folks. I'm sure I have a ways to go still, but I'm
on my way.

Re: Several Problems with my WinTV PVR 250 MythTV Box [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 31 May 2003 08:42 pm, Robert Schultz wrote:
> Robert Schultz wrote:
> Okay, cool stuff.
> I export my display, and run Eterm &
> That gives me an Eterm window no my TV.
> I move my mouse over to it and start Mythfrontend there!
> And everything works great, as long as I keep 'focus' on that window on
> that screen.
>
> So all I have to do now is figure out how to redirect irxevent signals
> to a specific window!
> And .lircrc files have that capabilit built in (to both window name and
> window ID).
> Once I figure out how that works, it should be all set.

Myth is (currently) heavily dependent on focus. It processes input via X
keyboard events, which only get sent to the window with keyboard focus. It
may help to make sure your window manager is set up with a "Click To Focus"
policy rather than a "Focus Follow Mouse" policy. And yes, irxevent can send
events to specific windows, but there are many different windows in Myth and
you'd have no way of knowing which one was the "current" one. Basically,
Myth will not respond to any keys (whether from the keyboard or irxevent) if
it doesn't have keyboard focus, period.

-JAC
Re: Several Problems with my WinTV PVR 250 MythTV Box [ In reply to ]
Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

>On Saturday 31 May 2003 08:42 pm, Robert Schultz wrote:
>

>>Robert Schultz wrote:
>>Okay, cool stuff.
>>I export my display, and run Eterm &
>>That gives me an Eterm window no my TV.
>>I move my mouse over to it and start Mythfrontend there!
>>And everything works great, as long as I keep 'focus' on that window on
>>that screen.
>>
>>So all I have to do now is figure out how to redirect irxevent signals
>>to a specific window!
>>And .lircrc files have that capabilit built in (to both window name and
>>window ID).
>>Once I figure out how that works, it should be all set.
>>

>Myth is (currently) heavily dependent on focus. It processes input via X
>keyboard events, which only get sent to the window with keyboard focus. It
>may help to make sure your window manager is set up with a "Click To Focus"
>policy rather than a "Focus Follow Mouse" policy. And yes, irxevent can send
>events to specific windows, but there are many different windows in Myth and
>you'd have no way of knowing which one was the "current" one. Basically,
>Myth will not respond to any keys (whether from the keyboard or irxevent) if
>it doesn't have keyboard focus, period.

I have had success!
By running Eterm on the TV display and keeping my focus away from it
fixes the keyboard problem.
The main good thing that came out of this is the modification of my
~/.lircrc file
I changed the key targets from CurrentWindow to 'mythfrontend' (which is
the name of the window).
And it works great! playing on my TV is live tv, and only the remote can
control it, unless I move my mouse from my monitor off to my TV.

So that's perfect!

Everything is coming along nicely... too bad I can't get the darn thing
to change channels :(