MythTV box on a Pundit?

Thanks in advance for your input...

== Steve
RE: Pundit questions... [ In reply to ]
-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Davidson [mailto:smdavidson@belugasoftware.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2003 8:08 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: [mythtv-users] Pundit questions...

> I have some experience rolling lightweight distros for embedded
devices;
> would anyone be interested in beta testing or assisting development of
> frontend-only Midori or other flash-bootable distro?

I'd be interested in testing, I've never built a distribution though,
I'd help however I could.

> Does the Pundit have BIOS options for booting from SD/MMC/PCMCIA?
(this
> is not a show-stopper; there are several IDE->CF adapters available)

No BIOS support, looks like a IDE->CF adapter.

> What are the effective minimums for CPU and RAM for a (frontend-only)
> MythTV box on a Pundit?

I'm not sure of the minimums, but I'm running a 1.7 GHz Celeron and 512
MB Ram for my Front end only box. The CPU runs ~60% free while watching
TV, or a recording. At $55, the 1.7 is a good enough deal for me. Video
Ram is shared with system ram and I've got mine set to 64 MB. At $43 512
MB isn't that expensive either. (But that's just me, YMMV ; )

Another thing to note on video performance. In my setup, as far as
MythTV is concerned, VGA output is unusable. TV out is acceptable, but
not as good as some... Just remember you only paid $180 for the box...

DM
RE: Pundit questions... [ In reply to ]
> I'd be interested in testing, I've never built a distribution though,
> I'd help however I could.

Same here. Though I don't really care about flash-based boot.

> No BIOS support, looks like a IDE->CF adapter.

there is an "other" boot section, which shows PXE and SCSI. often, SCSI
refers to any number of "other" devices (including usb, etc). It also
looks like the bios is smart enough to detect devices (usb, etc) plugged
into the machine, so if it's there, it may not show up unless there
actually is a CF card in the slot.

-Chris
RE: Pundit questions... [ In reply to ]
RE: Pundit questions... [ In reply to ]
> > so if it's there, it may not show up unless there
> > actually is a CF card in the slot.
>
> If I'm reading the specs over at asus.com on the Pundit, the 4-in-1
> reader _doesn't_ have a compact flash slot? I wish they'd spell out
> the acronyms, but I'm guessing that it has a Memory Stick, Secure
> Digital and Multi Media Card. I don't know what adapter #4 of 4 is.
> That sucks, because most cameras are still using compact flash...

1 x 4-in-1 Card Reader (SM, MS, MMC, SD)

SM is Smart Media

1 x PCMCIA

With a simple adapter - i.e. no electronics, just a plug and socket and
therefore cheap, a PCMCIA slot will read a compact flash card easy. Just
appears like a removable drive under M$ Windows at least.

Christian
RE: Pundit questions... [ In reply to ]
RE: Pundit questions... [ In reply to ]
You are correct it'll read everything 'but' Compact Flash. I guess you
could use a PCMCIA adapter, but it would stick out of the front.

An IDE->CF adapter could be used, but it would need to be of the type
that plugs into a cable if you want a DVD/CD-ROM as it's only got one
IDE channel

Dan Mount