Mailing List Archive

Hard crash, where to begin?
This is the second install that I have tried, and I my system continues
to crash if I try to watch TV. It crashes so hard/fast that the log
file doesn't record anything. I don't know what to try to resolve the
issue. This install is RH9, and the previous install was RH8. I know
that RedHat is not the preferred distro for myth, but that shouldn't
cause this problem. I know that there are at least several other people
using redhat, and I followed the RH specific instructions to the letter.
I compiled the non-CVS version, and it seemed to compile and install
fine. I can go through the setup process just fine. The mythfrontend
GUI loads fine and I can browse the program guide. However, the system
locks up hard if I try to watch TV or record a show. So, I think the
problem must be with the capturing. I was able to watch TV using both
xawtv and through mplayer. Never tried capturing with mplayer.

Misc. info:

I've got a hauppauge with the bt878 (regular winTV not a PVR)
I'm trying to record using the mpeg4 codec
I'm using kernel software RAID 1 (mirroring) on a Promise IDE controller
could this be a problem? (no errors from this device in the log file)

What should I do?

Try the RTJPEG codec?
Newer bttv module (is there one?)
The CVS version of myth?
different distro?

I am lost, any help appreciated
Thx
Re: Hard crash, where to begin? [ In reply to ]
I had this same behavior on my RH9 install until I switched to the ALSA
drivers. See my previous post entitled "Setup instructions: suggestion
re Alsa on RH9".

My hardware: Athlon 1600+ on MSI K7T turbo, Geforce 4 Ti 4200, Hauppage
WinTV PCI, sound onboard (VIA 686b).

Try disabling your audio drivers before watching live tv - this should
help to confirm if the sound drivers are causing your grief. The Alsa
drivers can be a pain to build on RH9; read my previous post before
building to save yourself some stress...

HTH,

Steve

Re: Hard crash, where to begin? [ In reply to ]
At 04:35 PM 5/25/2003 -0500, Matt wrote:
>This is the second install that I have tried, and I my system continues
>to crash if I try to watch TV. It crashes so hard/fast that the log
>file doesn't record anything. I don't know what to try to resolve the
>issue. This install is RH9, and the previous install was RH8. I know
>that RedHat is not the preferred distro for myth, but that shouldn't
>cause this problem. I know that there are at least several other people
>using redhat, and I followed the RH specific instructions to the letter.
> I compiled the non-CVS version, and it seemed to compile and install
>fine. I can go through the setup process just fine. The mythfrontend
>GUI loads fine and I can browse the program guide. However, the system
>locks up hard if I try to watch TV or record a show. So, I think the
>problem must be with the capturing. I was able to watch TV using both
>xawtv and through mplayer. Never tried capturing with mplayer.

Is this your first report of this problem? (There are other recent messages
from other people named Matthew, so I'm just checking that you are not one
of them using a different e-mail address here.) Assuming it is ...

If your guess that the problem is with capture is right (and it would be my
guess too, based on what you have told us), the next question is ...
hardware or software?

Have you captured to disk using ANY application other than MythTV?
mencoder, for example, or avicap, or vcr/avifile, or ffmpeg? (Or, for that
matters, xawtv's own crude capture facility.)

Do you have DMA enabled on the drive you are capturing to? (I confess to a
bit of uncertainty as to how RAID might interact with the required speed
needed for capture to disk.)

Does your kernel support the IDE chipset your controller uses?

I'd look at these non-Myth issues before I tried any of the things you ask
about below.

If you post again, please describe your hardware (CPU, mobo, RAM) and
describe "locks up" in more detail (can you switch to a console? ssh in?
ping the system? does it require a power-cycle reboot to come back, or
something less?).

Re: Hard crash, where to begin? [ In reply to ]
I use RH9 (also with ALSA) and have no problems. I used the MythTV rpms
from atrpms.

I would suggest getting ALSA from http://freshrpms.net and MythTV from
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh9/mythtv/

These packages worked quite well from me.

You might also consider install apt-get from the freshrpms site as
well. Once you've got that set up it sucks most of the work out of
installing the right packages for running MythTV.

Re: Hard crash, where to begin? [ In reply to ]
If I'm just recording something, not watching TV, does myth use the
sound card? It crashes just from recording.

Re: Hard crash, where to begin? [ In reply to ]
At 06:55 PM 5/25/2003 -0500, Matt wrote:
>If I'm just recording something, not watching TV, does myth use the sound
>card? It crashes just from recording.

In general, the answer is "it depends". On the vidcap card you are using,
on your kernel, and on your Myth settings.

But usually, the asnwer is yes. The btaudio driver, the other possible
source of capture sound, is something you would probably know if you were
using. If your "regular winTv" card is the WinTV Go, then either you are
using the sound card, or you are trying to use btaudio and it is not
working (it does not work with that card ... check the list archives for
details).

Reports on use of the OSS sound drivers are mixed, though my own troubles
with it were well short of anything I might characterize as a "hard crash".
Steve's suggested use of the ALSA drivers might not be required, but it is
the safe approach.

>Steve Davidson wrote:
>
>>I had this same behavior on my RH9 install until I switched to the ALSA
>>drivers. See my previous post entitled "Setup instructions: suggestion
>>re Alsa on RH9".
>>
>>My hardware: Athlon 1600+ on MSI K7T turbo, Geforce 4 Ti 4200, Hauppage
>>WinTV PCI, sound onboard (VIA 686b).
>>
>>Try disabling your audio drivers before watching live tv - this should
>>help to confirm if the sound drivers are causing your grief. The Alsa
>>drivers can be a pain to build on RH9; read my previous post before
>>building to save yourself some stress...
[old stuff deleted]
Re: Hard crash, where to begin? [ In reply to ]
First thing I'd check is if the sound drivers are working in a sane
manner.

1. Exit mythtv and use mpg321 to play an mp3 file.
2. Use mplayer on the command line to play a mpg/avi file.
and play a mpg/avi file.
4. Watch live tv from within mythtv.

Let's say all of that works with the OSS drivers (as in: you get sound),
then the question is whether or not you're using btaudio... fix your
/etc/modules.conf so that you're no longer using btaudio, then try
mythtv to watch live tv again.

If none of the above steps worked, switch to alsa and try again... Alsa
isn't really that hard to set up. Then again, I've done it several
dozen times over the last year... ;)

-I

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 16:55, Matt wrote:
> If I'm just recording something, not watching TV, does myth use the
> sound card? It crashes just from recording.
>
> Steve Davidson wrote:
>
> >I had this same behavior on my RH9 install until I switched to the ALSA
> >drivers. See my previous post entitled "Setup instructions: suggestion
> >re Alsa on RH9".
> >
> >My hardware: Athlon 1600+ on MSI K7T turbo, Geforce 4 Ti 4200, Hauppage
> >WinTV PCI, sound onboard (VIA 686b).
> >
> >Try disabling your audio drivers before watching live tv - this should
> >help to confirm if the sound drivers are causing your grief. The Alsa
> >drivers can be a pain to build on RH9; read my previous post before
> >building to save yourself some stress...
> >
> >HTH,
> >
> >Steve
> >

> >On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 14:35, Matt wrote:
> >
> >>This is the second install that I have tried, and I my system continues
> >>to crash if I try to watch TV. It crashes so hard/fast that the log
> >>file doesn't record anything. I don't know what to try to resolve the
> >>issue. This install is RH9, and the previous install was RH8. I know
> >>that RedHat is not the preferred distro for myth, but that shouldn't
> >>cause this problem. I know that there are at least several other people
> >>using redhat, and I followed the RH specific instructions to the letter.
> >> I compiled the non-CVS version, and it seemed to compile and install
> >>fine. I can go through the setup process just fine. The mythfrontend
> >>GUI loads fine and I can browse the program guide. However, the system
> >>locks up hard if I try to watch TV or record a show. So, I think the
> >>problem must be with the capturing. I was able to watch TV using both
> >>xawtv and through mplayer. Never tried capturing with mplayer.
> >>
> >>Misc. info:
> >>
> >>I've got a hauppauge with the bt878 (regular winTV not a PVR)
> >>I'm trying to record using the mpeg4 codec
> >>I'm using kernel software RAID 1 (mirroring) on a Promise IDE controller
> >>could this be a problem? (no errors from this device in the log file)
> >>
> >>What should I do?
> >>
> >>Try the RTJPEG codec?
> >>Newer bttv module (is there one?)
> >>The CVS version of myth?
> >>different distro?
> >>

> >>I am lost, any help appreciated
> >>Thx

__________________________________
Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
CYTBeN, Inc.
ian@duckland.org / ian@cytben.com
Re: Hard crash, where to begin? [ In reply to ]
AFAIK, it uses the soundcard for capturing audio unless you are running
the bt878 patch which streams directly from the capture card over the
PCI bus. If I unplug my passthru cable (from the wintv card to my sound
card input), my recorded content doesn't have audio. Same if I have the
mixer configured incorrectly.

What sound card are you running? Is it onboard?

== Steve

Re: Hard crash, where to begin? [ In reply to ]
bt878 patch? is that used in conjunction with btaudio?
Seems like that would be the preferred way to do it. Correct?

yes integrated sound card, lspci reveals:

00:04.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686
AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
00:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
Capture (rev 11)
00:09.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture
(rev 11)

Re: Hard crash, where to begin? [ In reply to ]
Sorry, I meant btaudio - couldn't remember the project name. Too many
projects, too little memory...<g>

Sounds like you have the same chipset that I have. When I was running
the OSS drivers and tried to record or watch live tv, my machine would
lock up hard - power switch held in for 5 secs would not even power
down. Building and installing the Alsa drivers fixed the problem in my
case: YMMV.

FWIW, here's my LSPCI dump:

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133]
(rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133 AGP]
00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South]
(rev 40)
00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/B/686A/B PIPC Bus
Master
IDE (rev 06)
00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 1a)
00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 1a)
00:07.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
(rev 40)
00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686
AC97 Audio
Controller (rev 50)
00:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
00:0d.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
Capture (rev 11)
00:0d.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture
(rev 11)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25 [GeForce4 Ti
4200] (rev a3)

A word of warning: the Alsa drivers compiled cleanly, but I got a ton of
missing dependency warnings when I tried to run; If you experience this
behavior, you need to run "touch include/linux/workqueue.h" within the
alsa-driver-xxx directory AFTER running ./configure but before executing
build.

BTW, I have not yet tried btaudio, as Alsa is working fine for me.

HTH,

Steve

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 18:07, Matt wrote:
> bt878 patch? is that used in conjunction with btaudio?
> Seems like that would be the preferred way to do it. Correct?
>
> yes integrated sound card, lspci reveals:
>
> 00:04.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686
> AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
> 00:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
> Capture (rev 11)
> 00:09.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture
> (rev 11)

<snip>
Re: Hard crash, where to begin? [ In reply to ]
Thanks Steve

Yeah, alsa did the trick. I wonder if there are any compelling reasons
to use btaudio.

Which would have lower overhead, using btaudio or using the regular
sound card in full duplex?

Re: Hard crash, where to begin? [ In reply to ]
> Van: Matt <matt@solecize.com>
>
> I wonder if there are any compelling reasons to use btaudio.

A normal dual tuner setups would need dual soundcards too, that's 4 PCI
slots used! And especially small PC cases have only room for 2 expansion
cards or so. Hence, even a single tuner setup would most of the time need a
second (next to the on-board sound) soundcard, since on-board sound record
capabilities are dramatic most of the time.

A card with btaudio support can do without all this extra stuff.

Henk Poley <><