Mailing List Archive

No Sound, please advise
I have been tring all sorts of different things to get mythtv working with
sound. I have installed the RPMs listed on the website and configured
everything. I am able to record stuff and all that works, however without
sound. I am using the standard oss sound drivers that shipped with the RH8
kernel. I have killed esd and have set the mixer to use the right input (there
is no port that seems to work for line, My 3 inputs are cd, phin and video, and
I have something going into all three of these, however, it is wired to use
video) I have rec and muted the correct source. However, if I start mythtv I
can't hear anything out. Is it reqed that I go to the alsa drivers??

Thanks
HEre is some other info.
[root@server dev]# uname -a
Linux server 2.4.20-13.8 #1 Mon May 12 11:48:50 EDT 2003 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
[root@server dev]# fuser -v dsp
[root@server dev]# lsmod
Module Size Used by Tainted: PF
tuner 12416 1 (autoclean)
tvaudio 15612 2 (autoclean)
bttv 82016 0
i2c-algo-bit 8776 1 [bttv]
videodev 8352 3 [bttv]
i2c-core 19140 0 [tuner tvaudio bttv i2c-algo-bit]
sr_mod 17752 0 (autoclean)
es1371 30344 3 (autoclean)
gameport 3396 0 (autoclean) [es1371]
ac97_codec 14568 0 (autoclean) [es1371]
soundcore 6532 4 (autoclean) [bttv es1371]

Re: No Sound, please advise [ In reply to ]
I do believe the documentation states that myth was originally
written with the intent of use of alsa but that oss has worked for
some people. I would recommend giving alsa a try.

--- Matthew Bettencourt <matt@ssc.usm.edu> wrote:

> I have been tring all sorts of different things to get mythtv
> working with
> sound. I have installed the RPMs listed on the website and
> configured
> everything. I am able to record stuff and all that works, however
> without
> sound. I am using the standard oss sound drivers that shipped with
> the RH8
> kernel. I have killed esd and have set the mixer to use the right
> input (there
> is no port that seems to work for line, My 3 inputs are cd, phin
> and video, and
> I have something going into all three of these, however, it is
> wired to use
> video) I have rec and muted the correct source. However, if I
> start mythtv I
> can't hear anything out. Is it reqed that I go to the alsa
> drivers??
>

> Thanks
> HEre is some other info.
> [root@server dev]# uname -a
> Linux server 2.4.20-13.8 #1 Mon May 12 11:48:50 EDT 2003 i686
> athlon i386 GNU/Linux
> [root@server dev]# fuser -v dsp
> [root@server dev]# lsmod
> Module Size Used by Tainted: PF
> tuner 12416 1 (autoclean)
> tvaudio 15612 2 (autoclean)
> bttv 82016 0
> i2c-algo-bit 8776 1 [bttv]
> videodev 8352 3 [bttv]
> i2c-core 19140 0 [tuner tvaudio bttv i2c-algo-bit]
> sr_mod 17752 0 (autoclean)
> es1371 30344 3 (autoclean)
> gameport 3396 0 (autoclean) [es1371]
> ac97_codec 14568 0 (autoclean) [es1371]
> soundcore 6532 4 (autoclean) [bttv es1371]

=====
Brock Hatfield
tekchip@yahoo.com
do bee do bee do....beware the penguin

http://search.yahoo.com
Re:No Sound, please advise [ In reply to ]
QUOTE:
--------------------
have been tring all sorts of different things to get mythtv working
with
sound... However, if I start mythtv I
can't hear anything out. Is it reqed that I go to the alsa drivers??
--------------------

I had the same thing happening when I first installed Myth and used
the kernel sound driver. It turned out that sound worked through the
front pair of speakers only for /dev/dsp. I was trying to hear
something through the rear set of speakers. It didn't work until I
switched on the front set, just something to check.

Alex
Re: Re:No Sound, please advise [ In reply to ]
Nope, no such luck :< I didnt' think so. I am going to install the alsa
tonight when I get a chance.
Thanks
matt

Re: Re:No Sound, please advise [ In reply to ]
I'm just getting onto this thread so pardon me if I missed some of the
other posts.

I too have had the problem of no sound under myth/xawtv. I get sound
under everything else (system sounds, etc.). My problem happened to be
the options I fed bttv when I modprobed it. If I didn't have the correct
card and tuner option in my /etc/modules.conf I would get picture with no
sound. I played around with it for a bit until I got the correct values
and...PRESTO I got sound.

Jeremy

Re: Re:No Sound, please advise [ In reply to ]
Quoting Jeremy Oddo <joddo@apixels.net>:

> I'm just getting onto this thread so pardon me if I missed some of the
> other posts.
>
> I too have had the problem of no sound under myth/xawtv. I get sound
> under everything else (system sounds, etc.). My problem happened to be
> the options I fed bttv when I modprobed it. If I didn't have the correct
> card and tuner option in my /etc/modules.conf I would get picture with no
> sound. I played around with it for a bit until I got the correct values
> and...PRESTO I got sound.

I get sound from the passthru device. If I use xawtv I can hear everything.
HOwever, FWIK, that will not mean that I can get sound with mythtv on the delay.
I am just judging by what I have read ion the website

However, what are your modules.conf vals??
Mine are

options bttv card=3 tuner=2 radio=1 bttv_verbose=2 gbuffers=8
options tuner debug=1
options tvaudio debug=1

Thanks

Re: Re:No Sound, please advise [ In reply to ]
Any pointers to how you found the correct values? Thanks....

Re: Re:No Sound, please advise [ In reply to ]
Best info I've found is this page:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/BTTV-4.html

Scroll down to the bottom 1/3 of the page. You may have to do a little
trial-and-error testing ;)

Jeremy

Re: Re:No Sound, please advise [ In reply to ]
I finally got the audio to work(req's the alsa driver), now I have two problems.

1, the sound is lower quality than when it is in passthru mode... Now if I turn
it to med volume on the video source it works better, but not good.. Is it my
audio card (es1371) or my settings? I am using mp3 audio.

THe second problem is that if I start with mythtv it works fine. If I start
with mythfrontend and go to watch tv I get the tv window in the back, I have to
minimize the frontend window to view the live tv. Now, is this because I am
using gnome??

Thanks
Matt