that the way to go? If it is, is there a script that I run, or how does
that work? Also I have heard to use an IR Blaster, what's the concept with
that and how do I tie that into the above stated system? I am not a novice
by any means with linux, but I am when it comes to multimedia stuff. :)

If anyone is running the above scenario or has any suggestions please let me
know how you are doing it, this way I can try and avoid some of the
stumbling blocks that you ran into.

Thanks

Re: Remote control with Directv [ In reply to ]
Duane Clouse wrote:

> Ok,
>
> I am in the planning, buying and partial building stage of my new
> adventure with MythTV. I have dug through the mail archives and still
> can't find an answer to a question is running through my head. I have
> a DirecTV system and am planning on getting the PVR-250 card with
> remote. I am trying to understand the concept of how I am going to
> change the channel of my DirecTV while still in the OSD of MythTV. I
> have seen the cable packs by snapstream that ties my "low speed data
> port" on my receiver to my serial port, but is that the way to go?

If you can, that is certainly the way to go.

> If it is, is there a script that I run, or how does that work? Also I
> have heard to use an IR Blaster, what's the concept with that and how
> do I tie that into the above stated system? I am not a novice by any
> means with linux, but I am when it comes to multimedia stuff. :)

Yes, Myth calls an external program to change the channel. The IR
Blaster (emulates remote keypresses to change the channel on your
receiver) and the "low speed data port" do the same thing (change the
channel on your receiver) so you just need to use one or the other. Of
the two, the direct connection through the serial port is preferable as
it is cleaner and more reliable.

Re: Remote control with Directv [ In reply to ]
That makes a lot more sense, so the thoughts that pop into my head are
these.

I leave my tuner card tuned to channel to either 3 or 4
Do I use lirc? or do I use the huppage IR receiver?
Lirc or Hauppage IR receives this data which then sends it out the serial
port using some perl script to the DirecTV receiver?
I am then able to tune to say 354 on my DirecTV receiver, which I then
record or "time shift".

Am I heading down the right thought process on this? I just want to make
sure I have the flow in my head before I build so I don't have to stumble
too many times. :)

Thanks

Re: Remote control with Directv [ In reply to ]
> I leave my tuner card tuned to channel to either 3 or 4

Hmmm, if you are using the RF connector, I guess this is true. You should
look into the SVideo/RCA connector and feed the video signal in that way.

> Do I use lirc? or do I use the huppage IR receiver?

The Haupauge remote uses LIRC as does the homebrew stuff. If you want to
transmit *or* receive, you'll want to use LIRC.

> Lirc or Hauppage IR receives this data which then sends it out the
> serial port using some perl script to the DirecTV receiver?

Much thanks goes to Tarek on this. Check out http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/
for a lot of good information on this.

This is how I have it set up:
Serial Port 01: homebrew IR receiver
Serial Port 02: cable to "low speed port" on RCA DirecTV box

Go to http://tarek.2y.net/myth and download the RCA.pl or sony.pl script
for changing channels. If you don't have an RCA or Sony DirecTV box,
you'll have to make modifications to the script. Again, check out
http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/ for help. In Myth, select the RCA.pl or
sony.pl script as your channel changer script.

> I am then able to tune to say 354 on my DirecTV receiver, which I then
> record or "time shift".

Hee hee...TechTV :) Yeah, this is how it works; your IR receiver will
"get" your command sent my your remote (you will need LIRC for this). If
it's a channel change command, Myth will run the channel changer script
(ie: RCA.pl, sony.pl, etc.). The script will send the command out to
your DirecTV box. And let me tell you, it works *really* well :)

Does that clear anything up? I bet that if you go to
http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/, it'll clear up some of the confusion.

Good luck!
Jeremy
Re: Remote control with Directv [ In reply to ]
All,

Thanks for the great input. Your responses have made this a much clearer
picture. I agree using the S-Video is a much better choice, why I had
channel 3 or 4 in my head is from experiences with old cards that ran RF
only.

This has probably been drilled before, but has anyone ever programmed a
"Universal Remote" and used lirc to capture codes and then spit it out to an
external device? I can't see why it would be any different as it is
"learned codes" from the original. Just want to see if there are any
pitfalls.

Thanks and keep up the good work, MythTV has evolved quite nicely. Is there
a spot on the web where people are posting there pics of systems built?
This would be a great addition to all of us looking to build a true Home
Theater experience (big screen, wired into exisiting living room 5.1 audio
etc...)

Thanks