Mailing List Archive

TWM / FVWM (was Task bar under Gnome with MPlayer, how to hide?)
On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 19:48, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> Read the archives... Myth doesn't play nice with Gnome. If you must use a
> full-blown desktop environment, use KDE. Otherwise, I recommend a
> lightweight window manager like Blackbox or FVWM.

I've been having a problem getting mythtv to work under twm and fvwm. I'll try to start
up using a regular xterm, and it will display Connecting to backend, but then never
display anything. I have to restart my entire system before it will bring up the
frontend again. Usually I do it from KDE, but I'd like to not have to worry about
the kde stuff taking any cpu / disk space...

Any ideas?

Brett
Re: TWM / FVWM (was Task bar under Gnome with MPlayer, how to hide?) [ In reply to ]
> I've been having a problem getting mythtv to work under twm and fvwm. I'll try to start
> up using a regular xterm, and it will display Connecting to backend, but then never
> display anything. I have to restart my entire system before it will bring up the
> frontend again. Usually I do it from KDE, but I'd like to not have to worry about
> the kde stuff taking any cpu / disk space...

I had something similar happen with fvwm and whatever redhat calls
"failsafe". Though I could ctrl-alt-backspace (or was it control-shift
- whatever) to kill X and get back in. I ended up switching to
blackbox and haven't had any trouble since.

-Chris
Re: TWM / FVWM (was Task bar under Gnome with MPlayer, how to hide?) [ In reply to ]
Brett Profitt wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 19:48, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>

>>I recommend a lightweight window manager like Blackbox or FVWM.
>>

>I've been having a problem getting mythtv to work under twm and fvwm.
>
>I'd like to not have to worry about
>the kde stuff taking any cpu / disk space...
>
>Any ideas?

Did you try blackbox, like he said? There must be more than 100
different window managers for X Windows, <http://www.plig.org/xwinman/>
lists a lot of them, one of them will probably work for you.
Re: TWM / FVWM (was Task bar under Gnome with MPlayer, how to hide?) [ In reply to ]
Sounds like maybe the frontend can't open /dev/dsp, or whatever your audio
device is.

-JAC