short of deleting it?

Sorry for the newbie questions - if answers are available elsewhere,
please let me know.
Re: monitoring mythbackend and other questions... [ In reply to ]
Steve Davidson wrote:

>I am curious, however, to know if there is any way to monitor
>the status/current state of the backend server? I haven't seen any way to check what mythbackend is up to short of looking for actively updating files in the video directory.

There is a small http server running at port 6544 (by default), e.g.
<http://yourserver:6544>, but the output doesn't seem to be very helpful.

The Debian start script creates a log file in
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log. This is the same you will see on the
console, if you start mythbackend directly. The output there is somewhat
helpful.

BTW: Whenever you wonder what's going on and it's not a GUI app, you
should generally look in /var/log/, there is often the information you
need just waiting for you to use it.

>Also, is there any way to manually control the recording process? I would like to be able to record a 5 minute segment without twiddling about with MySQL; is this do-able?

The CVS version (the latest development verion, not 0.8) has a manual
recording option.

Ben
Re: monitoring mythbackend and other questions... [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 00:51, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Steve Davidson wrote:
>
> >I am curious, however, to know if there is any way to monitor
> >the status/current state of the backend server? I haven't seen any way to check what mythbackend is up to short of looking for actively updating files in the video directory.
> >
> There is a small http server running at port 6544 (by default), e.g.
> <http://yourserver:6544>, but the output doesn't seem to be very helpful.

I noticed that, but all I seem to see is "1 encoder is local" from the
output... Guess I'll have to dig in to the source. (Anyone have any more
info on this?)

> The Debian start script creates a log file in
> /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log. This is the same you will see on the
> console, if you start mythbackend directly. The output there is somewhat
> helpful.

Doesn't seem to contain anything of use; just startup info and some
occasional "strange error flushing buffer" errors. Does the verbose
output contain more useful info?

> >Also, is there any way to manually control the recording process? I would like to be able to record a 5 minute segment without twiddling about with MySQL; is this do-able?
> >
> The CVS version (the latest development verion, not 0.8) has a manual
> recording option.

Thanks, I'll check out the CVS version.