second. Is this normal?

Thanks,

-Jeff
Re: EPG Scrolling slow [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 15 May 2003 10:32 pm, Jeff C wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I now have .9 up and running with my 250 card and am VERY impressed with
> the system.
>
> However I have noticed a few things that I wanted to ask about and I will
> post them spereately so the threads can run their course without confusing
> people.
>
> The first thing I have noticed is that the EPG seems to scrool really
> slowly. It takes quite a while when you scroll down for the highlight to
> move... almost a second or so I'd say. Is this normal? Is it configurable
> somewhere? Is it my video settings?
>
> My system is a Duron 1.1Ghz and my capture card is a dedicated PVR 250 so
> the machine isnt loaded at all...

Might want to try a different color blending method -- go into
TV->Setup->Program Guide, and play around with the 'Guide Shading Method'
setting. The default (Colorized alpha) is pretty slow if you don't have a
video card that does accellerated RENDER stuff. Won't look as nice, but if
you're displaying on a TV, you shouldn't notice a difference.

> The other thing I noticed with it is that when I am scrolling through the
> EPG and I have live TV in the corner window of the screen, as I scrool down
> the audio and sometimes the video to, seems to skip or hiccup for a
> second. Is this normal?

Same issue as above, I'd think.

Isaac
Re: EPG Scrolling slow [ In reply to ]
At 12:22 AM 5/16/2003 -0400, you wrote:

> > The first thing I have noticed is that the EPG seems to scrool really
> > slowly. It takes quite a while when you scroll down for the highlight to
> > move... almost a second or so I'd say. Is this normal? Is it configurable
> > somewhere? Is it my video settings?
> >
> > My system is a Duron 1.1Ghz and my capture card is a dedicated PVR 250 so
> > the machine isnt loaded at all...
>
>Might want to try a different color blending method -- go into
>TV->Setup->Program Guide, and play around with the 'Guide Shading Method'
>setting. The default (Colorized alpha) is pretty slow if you don't have a
>video card that does accellerated RENDER stuff. Won't look as nice, but if
>you're displaying on a TV, you shouldn't notice a difference.

Hi Issac, thanks I'll try that. I have a Geforce2 MX card with 64MB on it
but I haven't done a damn thing to optimize my settings for X, just
installed the latest NVidia driver. Any tips on where to optimize things?

-Jeff

PS - Blown away by the maturity of the Myth project so far - excellent work.
Re: EPG Scrolling slow [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 21:34, Jeff C wrote:

[snip]

> >Might want to try a different color blending method -- go into
> >TV->Setup->Program Guide, and play around with the 'Guide Shading Method'
> >setting. The default (Colorized alpha) is pretty slow if you don't have a
> >video card that does accellerated RENDER stuff. Won't look as nice, but if
> >you're displaying on a TV, you shouldn't notice a difference.
>
> Hi Issac, thanks I'll try that. I have a Geforce2 MX card with 64MB on it
> but I haven't done a damn thing to optimize my settings for X, just
> installed the latest NVidia driver. Any tips on where to optimize things?

The latest Nvidia drivers do XRENDER acceleration with this:

Option "RenderAccel" "1"

In the same section of the XF86Config file where you specify Driver
"nvidia".

You also have to do this if you want any reasonable performance of Gnome
2.x at high resolutions. :-P

--
Clint Byrum <cbyrum@spamaps.org>
Re: EPG Scrolling slow [ In reply to ]
At 12:22 AM 5/16/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Might want to try a different color blending method -- go into
>TV->Setup->Program Guide, and play around with the 'Guide Shading Method'
>setting. The default (Colorized alpha) is pretty slow if you don't have a
>video card that does accellerated RENDER stuff. Won't look as nice, but if
>you're displaying on a TV, you shouldn't notice a difference.

This did make a definite difference in response time. Thanks. I'm also
researching how to optimize my card so I can have full video effects turned
on without latency... that card should be able to do it. Gefroce2 MX 64MB.

I should mention to, I am running .9 from the CVS as of a day ago and when
I am watching a recording and hit ESC to exit back to the recordings menu
sometimes the screen doesnt redraw properly and I have to ESC again to the
main menu and go back in for a redraw. Dont know if this is my setup or a bug.

> > The other thing I noticed with it is that when I am scrolling through the
> > EPG and I have live TV in the corner window of the screen, as I scrool down
> > the audio and sometimes the video to, seems to skip or hiccup for a
> > second. Is this normal?
>
>Same issue as above, I'd think.

The above fix reduced but did not totally eliminate the problem.

-Jeff
Re: EPG Scrolling slow [ In reply to ]
At 09:48 PM 5/15/2003 -0700, you wrote:

> > Hi Issac, thanks I'll try that. I have a Geforce2 MX card with 64MB on it
> > but I haven't done a damn thing to optimize my settings for X, just
> > installed the latest NVidia driver. Any tips on where to optimize things?
> >

>The latest Nvidia drivers do XRENDER acceleration with this:
>
>Option "RenderAccel" "1"
>
>In the same section of the XF86Config file where you specify Driver
>"nvidia".
>
>You also have to do this if you want any reasonable performance of Gnome
>2.x at high resolutions. :-P

Perfect Chris, thanks for this. This is exactly the kind of info I'm
trying to compile on how to optimize my card. I've edited the file, but as
most of us can likely relate to, now that Myth is installed I'm constantly
recording and I don't want to interrupt it to restart X yet. I'll restart
it tomorrow morning and let you know how that goes.

-Jeff
Re: EPG Scrolling slow [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 22:17, Jeff C wrote:
> Perfect Chris, thanks for this. This is exactly the kind of info I'm
> trying to compile on how to optimize my card. I've edited the file, but as
> most of us can likely relate to, now that Myth is installed I'm constantly
> recording and I don't want to interrupt it to restart X yet. I'll restart
> it tomorrow morning and let you know how that goes.

mythbackend shouldn't care about X. Just start it with 'nohup
mythbackend &'.

--
Clint Byrum <cbyrum@spamaps.org>