Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes [ In reply to ]
Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Mark Cooper wrote:
<CUT>
>> This all falls under the rating and comments section I think.
>

> I disagree. This is essential information, in fact exactly the kind of
> information I would expect from such a database (what's the use to know
> that somebody uses an Duron 800 for encoding, if he has serious quality
> problems which I don't want to tolerate? How could I know?), and
> explicitly asking for it makes people fill it out, while they may not
> even think of it in the comments section.
>
> In fact, many or most comments are completely empty.

I moved all data collected on the old website into the new database. The
old website didn't have a field for comments, hence none exist for the
old entries.

>>> * Which software was used - distro, drivers, xfree, mythtv, version
>>> of each
>>

>> Already in the database.
>

> No, not in that detail. It doesn't even say, if MythTV or FreeVo was
> used, much less the xfree version. Most have just "tuner driver: bttv,
> gfx driver: nvidia, Audio driver: alsa". That's not very helpful,
> because the gotchas are in the details.

Each entry *specifically* states if the software is MythTV or Freevo and
now also includes the exact version.

>>> * which config used (linux kernel config, modules.conf, xfree
>>> config, any other compile parameters, anything else in /etc/)
>>

>> This is outside the spec of something you can put in database fields
>> and is what the comments section is intended for.
>

> Look at the actual comments made. Nothing.

See above. The majority of the entries have not been updated since the
comment field was introduced.

> You *can* provide fields for "relevant modules.conf lines", "relevant
> kernel config options necessary (if you compiled your own kernel)",
> "device driver section of /etc/X11/XF86Config" etc.
>
>>> I didn't know that you're listening at all, much less willing to
>>> improve it.
>>

>> Where did you get that impression??
>

> I didn't have any impression at all. It was just a random site on the
> internet for me, which happens to be linked.

*sigh*

--

Mark Cooper
http://netmangler.sourceforge.net - Network Management with Attitude
RE: Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes [ In reply to ]
Mark,

I guess I had not seen the latest incarnation of the pvr database. All I
can say is ... wow. Talk about a change. Last time I looked at it (if
this is the same pvr hardware database site I am thinking if), it was
one table about 3 pages long with about 5 times too much granular
information. This is absolutely fantastic. Consider my offer of a php
write officially retracted. =)

Thanks for all your hard work in compiling and maintaining this site.
(this'll teach me to refresh my browser!)

Cheers,

Scott