Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
RE: two and one (OT: wholesale) [ In reply to ]
> You mentioned in another message that you work for a computer
> distributor. Is the markup really that small? ie, Newegg and a few
> others are selling this for $180 with free shipping. If the
> wholesale cost is $165, that's not much of a profit margin.

Wholesale isn't a fixed pricing system. As a small to medium sized
business (9-10 employees, $6M/year in sales), we apparently fall into a
certain pricing bracket with places like Ingram Micro and Amax (where
the pundit came from), especially when buying one item. Larger
businesses (officemax, amazon, etc) will buy things in lots of hundreds
or thousands and get better pricing (but not all that much,
surprisingly).

Ben's right. Markup is not enough when you're trying to sell computers
in a retail world. A $600 workstation takes just as much time to build
as a $2k dual xeon server, which means that the profit margin on the
workstation isn't enough to keep people employed at $25/hour (which most
of the builders make, including me, who's actually supposed to be
redesigning the web page until we got caught in a massive onslaught of
sales). The owners are pretty smart about stuff, though, and realized
this a long time ago, which is why the business focuses on servers
(which are a LOT harder to build *right* than people might imagine - not
even the enclosure manufacturers understand this, and we have to do a
lot of physical modification to stuff after it comes to us), and seems
to be doing well (profits are growing, we keep having to break leases
and move into larger buildings, etc).

Anyway, this is pretty OT, so I'd suggest that further stuff probably be
addressed under a different subject or off the list.

-Chris
Re: two and one [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 08:48:36AM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> spdif and rca are completely different protocols (I don't know much
> about spdif, but was under the impression that it was optical). And no,
> I doubt there's any way to make the rca plug do anything other than rca
> video.

There's coaxial SPDIF over 75ohm cabling (which has the nice advantage of
being the same as for composite video). There are other systems (i think
atleast one of the epia systems, though i forget which exactly) which have
an RCA plug on the back which is switchable between either composite video
out or SPDIF audio out. My receiver has several digital inputs and can do
either coax or optical. It seems like many of these barebones systems have
the SPDIF output on the front of the box rather than the rear, it's been
one of the reasons I've put off getting one sofar. (I don't want to have a
cable snaked out from the front of the box)

-- Gerald
Re: two and one [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 02:45 PM, Adam Lydick wrote:
> That reminds me. Are you using any sort of overscan? It doesn't seem to
> quite fill my entire screen, and the right side is a bit "wavy"
> looking.

No, I have no overscan. There is a small black border around the image.
However, I do not have any waviness. You might try a different mode,
either a different refresh rate or the other of 800x600 and 640x480.
I'm using 640x480@60hz. The card claims to support all of:
[112] 640 x 480, 60Hz, 75Hz, 85Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz
[115] 800 x 600, 60Hz, 75Hz, 85Hz

It doesn't really bother me that much really. I emailed the author of
the XF86 driver (http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html) about
overscan he said (paraphrased) "yes I plan to add it someday but have
no time to do so now." He has a paypal link for donations on his site,
so maybe if someone donated some money earmarked for development of
that, it might happen faster.

I also emailed VIA, but got no response from them.

James
Re: two and one [ In reply to ]
Adam Hirsch wrote:
> Hey, folks. I have a couple of non-technical questions and one technical
> question, being new to the list.
>
> The non-technical questions first, I suppose.
>
> 1) I'm curious as to what brings people to try out MythTV. Is it the geeky
> pleasure of building something oneself? Is it wanting to be independent
> from TiVo's feature control or fate? Is it cost? Is it the extra features
> that one can't get from the commercial PVRs out there?

I have a TiVo in the living room and a ReplayTV in my bedroom
since before I found MythTV. I still use the commercial
products daily and it may be awhile until I sell them on ebay.

What MythTV does that the product don't do, and likely never
will do, is use one scheduler for any number of tuners and
allow the same list of recordings to be viewed from any screen
(TV or computer monitor). With the TiVo and ReplayTV, I can
only record one show at a time and have to watch it on the
TV where the device is attached. If there are overlapping
things I want to record, I'd have to choose no more than
two and walk back and forth manually coordinating them.

With MythTV, currently I can record up to four overlapping
shows. This is great for sports playoffs, network competition
putting their best shows on at the same, etc. I used to think
that If I could schedule two tuners, all my problems would
be solved. I'm now surprised how often three and four overlapping
recordings happen.

Once shows have been recorded, I can watch then on the big
screen in the living room, in a window on my desktop while I'm
working, or in the bedroom. I can even Save Position in one
location and watch from that point in another location.

I realize this thread is old (I had the flu for the past
few days) but didn't see anyone mention the advantages of
multiple frontends and backends which I think is the
distinguishing feature of MythTV.

-- bjm
Re: two and one [ In reply to ]
> What MythTV does that the product don't do, and likely never
> will do, is use one scheduler for any number of tuners and
> allow the same list of recordings to be viewed from any screen
> (TV or computer monitor).

Not true: http://moxi.com/

oh, wait, this is like the biggest vaporware of last year. Anyway,
someone TRIED, but didn't get far. Too bad, actually - it would have
been a good product (and may yet still be - you never know).

-Chris
Re: two and one [ In reply to ]
> That reminds me. Are you using any sort of overscan? It doesn't seem to
> quite fill my entire screen, and the right side is a bit "wavy"
> looking.

Have you checked the stretch settings under Playback? Most tv is
broadcast in expectation of there being some overscan (especially in the
horizontal). I had to tweak mine up 2% vertically and 5% horizontally
to get it to match the picture that the tv displayed on its own.

-Chris
Re: two and one [ In reply to ]
Chris Petersen wrote:
>>What MythTV does that the product don't do, and likely never
>>will do, is use one scheduler for any number of tuners and
>>allow the same list of recordings to be viewed from any screen
>>(TV or computer monitor).
>

> Not true: http://moxi.com/
>
> oh, wait, this is like the biggest vaporware of last year.

;-) They demo'ed it here in Las Vegas last year then sort of
died out. They were promoting multiple thin client frontends
but AFAIK they would still only support one tuner on one
master. Ultimate TV had a dual tuner system but I have no
interest in products from that company. Replay TV can 'share'
files between machines but each machine has an independent
scheduler (and a horribly brain dead scheduler at that).

Somebody may steal ideas from MythTV someday then Isaac can
sue and live happily ever after =).

-- bjm
Re: two and one [ In reply to ]
Clint Byrum wrote:

>I took a different approach than other people did. My setup:
>
>Backend:
>Dual Athlon MP1900+ (Tyan S2466N-4M) running Debian sid.
>512MB PC2100
>80GB 7200rpm Maxtor ATA/133 Drive.
>Hauppage WinTV connected to Hughes DirecTV "Oh my god thats a cheap
>receiver" receiver.
>IR solution: ????? I need some sort of solution, more on this in another
>post. Can't change channels right now :( .

What kind of storage are you using on this machine? Onboard IDE (or
SCSI?), or an add-in board?

Thanks,

Pete
Re: two and one [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:08:24AM -0400, Pierre-Olivier Bouchard wrote:
> Clint Byrum wrote:
>
> >I took a different approach than other people did. My setup:
> >
> >Backend:
> >Dual Athlon MP1900+ (Tyan S2466N-4M) running Debian sid.
> >512MB PC2100
> >80GB 7200rpm Maxtor ATA/133 Drive.
> >Hauppage WinTV connected to Hughes DirecTV "Oh my god thats a cheap
> >receiver" receiver.
> >IR solution: ????? I need some sort of solution, more on this in another
> >post. Can't change channels right now :( .
> >

> What kind of storage are you using on this machine? Onboard IDE (or
> SCSI?), or an add-in board?

I'm using the onboard AMD768 ATA/100 controller to drive the single 80GB
7200rpm Maxtor drive. I have a 25GB XFS partition for videos for now. Once I
find some more people willing to pay me for sysadmin/development work,
I'll be able to afford some more storage.

What I'd love to do would be to get 3 or 4 huge drives... maybe 100 or
120GB drives, and set them up with lvm.

OT, but .. if anybody is looking for a good sysadmin/network
engineer/software developer... http://spamaps.org/files/resume.html .

1 2  View All